Author Topic: Karl and Iverson, the love affair begins.  (Read 1717 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Karl and Iverson, the love affair begins.
« on: December 29, 2006, 02:32:56 PM »
Denver has won two in a row, and AI has had double-doubles in every game he's played for Karl so far.

OK, so the wins are against really bad teams, Seattle and Boston, but they really are short-handed and simply will not be able to compete until they get back their injured and suspended.

So in the meantime all Karl and Iverson really have is each other, and so far they're both going out of their way to help each other.

From the AP story on the game:

"He's good,'' Karl said. "He's better than I thought and I thought he was (darn) good.''

After coming out of the lineup with 1:04 remaining, Iverson and Karl had a brief conversation and then a quick hug.

"To be a part of something like that is something to cherish,'' Iverson said. "It was an honor to help him get that win."

Face it, a team with a guy that can go off for 44 on any given night can be the difference between a win and a loss.  The Sixers proved that AI and some defensive minded role players could win in the NBA.  Maybe everyone has forgotten that lesson, at least with Iverson, but he is still capable of putting a solid team deep into the playoffs-something Kobe demonstrated last year.  This Denver team is a lot better than the Sixers team that AI was teamed with in 2000. 

Between AI and Carmello, IMO this team will be hard to stop from scoring in crunch time. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Karl and Iverson, the love affair begins.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 02:53:36 PM »
Impossible to stop during crunch time.  Melo is already pretty good in crunch time, one of the best, now you cannot even double him in that situation.  Why?  Because AI can score from anywhere, at anytime, in the same situation.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 03:05:12 PM »
But there is still only one ball.  And about half a season to integrate ALL of the players into a team.  It has been a good start but let's see what happens when Melo/AI becomes upset when the other takes that last second shot & misses.  Besides both Dallas & SA have multiple players who can take & make shots in crunch time.....
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 05:45:45 PM »
C'mon Lurker- How do you think Duncan feels when Manu blows the last shot in a game? 

Besides, Iverson is averaging a double-double with ASSISTS and points.  You can bet that on any given play, if Carmello is open, AI will get him the ball. 

Considering who he's playing with at the moment, it is amazing that he's averaging over 10 assists.  The only other player who is putting up lots of points for Denver is Boykins, and without him they wouldn't be able to score enough to even beat the Celtics!

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say the Nuggets are in serious contention with the big 3 yet,  especially without even seeing what they will look like with all their players back.  But I wouldn't be surprised, either. 

Karl has been around for a long time and did some pretty good things in Seattle.  Denver was doing fairly well before AI came there, and all they really gave up was a serviceable point guard, which AI is superior to in every way.  There's no question that Denver made an upgrade, just a question about how much of an upgrade. 

Because of the suspensions, it is highly unlikely that Denver will get a top seed in the playoffs. It is more likely that they will finish as 6th, 7th or 8th seed, and draw one of the big three in a first round. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 01:20:50 AM »
But there is still only one ball

Bah.  Iverson's an initiator.  Carmelo's a finisher.  It'll work out brilliantly.  Carmelo doesn't need to dominate the ball to put up 25 points.  They'll play off each other well.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 11:28:05 AM »
C'mon Lurker- How do you think Duncan feels when Manu blows the last shot in a game? 

Besides, Iverson is averaging a double-double with ASSISTS and points.  You can bet that on any given play, if Carmello is open, AI will get him the ball. 

Considering who he's playing with at the moment, it is amazing that he's averaging over 10 assists.  The only other player who is putting up lots of points for Denver is Boykins, and without him they wouldn't be able to score enough to even beat the Celtics!

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say the Nuggets are in serious contention with the big 3 yet,  especially without even seeing what they will look like with all their players back.  But I wouldn't be surprised, either. 

Karl has been around for a long time and did some pretty good things in Seattle.  Denver was doing fairly well before AI came there, and all they really gave up was a serviceable point guard, which AI is superior to in every way.  There's no question that Denver made an upgrade, just a question about how much of an upgrade. 

Because of the suspensions, it is highly unlikely that Denver will get a top seed in the playoffs. It is more likely that they will finish as 6th, 7th or 8th seed, and draw one of the big three in a first round. 

Let me just say that I think this team will be just fine.  If their big men could stay healthy for once they would be a serious contender .  Right now, until they prove us otherwise in the playoffs, are not up there with Dallas/SA/PHX.  Iverson is a offensive monster and will burn you any way he can pass/scoring/steals, Melo is a bonafide scorer in the league.  That right there is going to spell trouble for 80% of the league.

With that said...I don't think Duncan really gets mad at Manu for missing a last second shot.  He does not seem like that kind of competitor or person for that matter..  There are guys who are so competitive they cannot chalk it up to a good try and keep it moving.  Then there are guys who do the exact opposite and would just say 'we tried hard but they played better'.  Kobe, AI, and Melo are the first example and Duncan/Nash are the second.  I think that we will see one get mad at the other for taking a last second shot because they both believe they would have made it if the situation would have been reversed.  AI is always use to taking the last shot but at this point in their careers Melo is the better player to take that shot.  He knows that too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:43:33 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:41:11 AM »
IMO, any player who criticizes another for taking a last second game winning shot, is not a good teamate.

Sure, it is always better if the ball goes in, but even the best players miss on occassion.  Your teamates should support you in your efforts to get the win, and if you begrudge a player taking the last shot, you're really begrudgeing him every shot he takes in the game!

The only time the criticism is valid is if the player is consistently trying to make a difficult shot- forceing the issue, when another teamate has a better chance to make the shot or go to the line based on his position.  It really is the coach's choice under most circumstances, and if it's a broken play, the team is happy if someone manages a good shot under the circumstances.

The objective is to win, not score the last points in a game.  IMO, AI would like nothing better than to NOT have to worry about taking a last-second shot.  He's on a team now that presents plenty of options- or will when they're at full strength.  Not, only that, but because of his teamates, he will get more open looks and fewer double-teams than in Philly.  It won't be up to him to score with shot-clock winding down, because his teamates won't choke pulling the trigger like his old crowd.

"Nene" and "melo" won't drop the ball or see it go out of bounds like Dalembert.