Author Topic: Top guy in Philly confirms AI is GONE!  (Read 10930 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Top guy in Philly confirms AI is GONE!
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2006, 12:00:14 PM »
Well then let's go back to the top tier vs 3rd tier debate.  I woulds expect the stats for a 3rd tier SG to be MUCH lower than the superstar Kobe who is not only top tier but generally considered one of the top 5 players in the NBA.

Please explain how a 3rd tier SG can averafged the same number of rebounds in less minutes, less than 1 assist difference (especially since Kobe is the primary ball handler as opposed to a #3 option), equal number of steals in less minutes, more blocks in less minutes, etc.

Then there is the fact that Manu plays for his national team each summer thus in effect playing basketball year round.  As we have discussed on this board many times the players who play year round tend to have lower stats due to fatigue.

But since logic and stats are not to be used I guess we should just fall back on the old playground method....

my player is better.  nyah, nyah, nyah.   ::)

I guess we can just ignore the defenses that are thrown at Kobe cause Manu must face the same double teams and defensive schemes that Kobe faces.  I'm sure there are tons of GM's who would build their team around Manu.  Manu is clearly a 3rd tier guy, only your homerism blinds you to that fact.  You can't compare the two, Joe Johnson is a better comparrision to Kobe at this point since he's the main guy for the Hawks.

Manu played for his national team but Kobe is comming off surgery, Kobe hasn't even hit his stride yet.  He's clearly not 100%, he's getting there fast but he's had to work his way back.

Trying to argue Manu up to Kobe's level is just stupid.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2006, 12:03:58 PM »
Trying to argue Manu up to Kobe's level is just stupid.

And trying to argue that Manu is just a journeyman CBA-er is even more stupid.  But then I wouldn't expect much else from products of the California education system.

BTW when does all the defensive schemes thrown at Kobe effect his steals, blocks and defensive rebounding?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2006, 12:13:33 PM »
Umm, now you are comparing AI to Kobe -- sorry, he's not as good and he is much older. 

Manu CAN play more minutes -- he just isn't going to because the Spurs are deeeep in the SG position -- both Finley and Barry could start on many teams in the NBA.

Allen is 3 years older than Kobe.

Not as good eh?  Let's compare this year's stats:

Pts.  Reb.  Assists  Steals  FG%  FT%  3P%   Min./Gm.
AI        31.2   2.7   7.3   2.2   .413   .885   .226   42.7

Kobme  26.6    4.9   4.5   1.47   .483   .842   .333   38.3

Kobe is better, but not by much.  AI is a much better point guard than Kobe, but Kobe is a better one on one defender and rebounder.  Both make essential contributions to their teams.  In a trade how much more is Kobe really worth to another team than AI.  I would not want either one of them to be the one taking the last shot in a game.  A big man has a much better chance of getting to the foul line in a game ending play. For what they do, there is little advantage with one over the other, and both need a big man they can work with in the middle to be successful.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2006, 12:22:49 PM »

Pts.  Reb.  Assists  Steals  FG%  FT%  3P%   Min./Gm.
AI        31.2   2.7   7.3   2.2   .413   .885   .226   42.7

Kobme  26.6    4.9   4.5   1.47   .483   .842   .333   38.3
Another rim rockin slam dunk.

A big man has a much better chance of getting to the foul line in a game ending play.   
rick nobody but nobody in the NBA has a better chance of getting to the foul line then MTV Kobe.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »
And trying to argue that Manu is just a journeyman CBA-er is even more stupid.  But then I wouldn't expect much else from products of the California education system.

I'm starting to think you just make stuff up when you lose an arguement or maybe you're just stupid.  Look at the names on my list of 3rd tier players before you start posting your CBA bull shyte.

BTW when does all the defensive schemes thrown at Kobe effect his steals, blocks and defensive rebounding?

They don't, but him not being a 100% yet does, he'll be back up to last years level soon:

05-06  RPG  APG  SPG  BPG 
Kobe   5.3   4.5   1.8   0.4 
Manu  3.5    3.6   1.6  0.4
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2006, 12:43:34 PM »
In a trade how much more is Kobe really worth to another team than AI.

Kobe's worth tons more cause he doesn't come with all the headache's of Cryverson pluse Cryverson doesn't play much defense other than roaming for steals.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2006, 12:57:51 PM »
Why all this contentiousness over Kobe vs Manu?

Kobe accepted the light (W.O.W. and msc and koast hear Brother Vics voice) and was mucho complimentario of the Manu game in last years playoffs.

Don't you see what must happen, what will happen, is either Kobe coming to the Spurs or, should the Spurs blow another title chance, I will submit that GNob must come to the land of LaLa.

Either way, we are looking at a Kobe-Gnob backcourt.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2006, 01:23:55 PM »
So....this thread's title is about,.....oh yeah....Allen Iverson:

Bill Simmons touched on the subject:  As usual hilarious and mostly spot on.  

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061213
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2006, 01:55:01 PM »
Great Article.

Excellent points about his history with the Sixers, and the eerie coincidences with Barkley's situation, even though the people involved are totally different.

Billy King must go!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2006, 02:07:20 PM »

I'm starting to think you just make stuff up when you lose an arguement or maybe you're just stupid.  Look at the names on my list of 3rd tier players before you start posting your CBA bull shyte.

That wasn't directed at you but at another "enlightened" Laker fan.  But if a general statement makes your panties get all bunched up then maybe it was closer to the truth than you care to admit.

They don't, but him not being a 100% yet does, he'll be back up to last years level soon:

05-06  RPG  APG  SPG  BPG 
Kobe   5.3   4.5   1.8   0.4 
Manu  3.5    3.6   1.6  0.4

Those are very unimpressive differences when one considers Kobe played 41 minutes a game and Manu only played 28.  You would think that while playing an extra 13 minutes a game Kobe could come up with more than 1.8 reb, 0.9 asst, 0.2 stls and more blocks.  Of course I noticed you left off shooting % where Manu (FG/FT/3pt) was .462/.778/.382 vs Kobe's .450/.850/.347.  Also turnovers where Kobe "edged" Manu 3.1 to 1.9.  Taken as a whole I would say the two are a lot closer than Laker fans are willing to admit...not equal but a lot closer.

Whereas my arguments have been based on current year production...yours are simply statements of opinion and innuendo.  But I'll freely admit that Kobe had higher stats in the categories you listed LAST year.  Simply because a fact is a fact.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2006, 03:01:58 PM »
I can't believe the direction this thread has gone.

Throw stats out the door for just a moment.  There's no doubt as to where these three players rank:  Kobe, Iverson, and Ginobili - in that order.  And there's no doubt that the first two are superstars while the third is a star-level player.  And there's no doubt that the Bryant vs. Iverson difference is significant.

That's how they'll finish.  When healthy.  When not healthy.  When you truly evaluate them based on what they can do.

I like Ginobili the best of them.  I'd rather play on a team with Ginobili than either of the other guys.  Delusional as it is, I believe that, if I'm a player good enough to help a team, I'll get the chance to do it with Ginobili, and together, we'll be good enough to offset any difference between Bryant or Iverson and Ginobili.  Playing alongside of Ginobili WON'T SUCK.  I wouldn't care that he's not as good as Bryant or Iverson.  After all - he's got me to help him - and that's worth something.

That doesn't mean Ginobili is a "role player."  This is San An's designated threat at the end of a game we're talking about - much like Kobe was the Laker's designated end-game threat even in Shaq's 2000 MVP campaign.  If Ginobili is nothing but a role-player, then neither was Bryant in 2000, and neither was Stockton across his entire career.

People seek to define a 1, a 1-A and 1-B, and a 2 in terms of who gets the ball in the clutch.  Thanks for nothing, Jordan;  everybody wants to be like Mike, and the fact is that most people who adopt that approach, for some unexplainable reason, think the first part of that they need to master is the smug, superior attitude - and most of them don't have anything more to offer than that.

After all - Jordan hit all the big shots in the Finals.  Kobe hit all the big shots for the Lakers.

Sorry, John Paxson, Steve Kerr, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry - you're all stiffs.  It's all about the superstar.

It's time to call dumb ideas dumb ideas and dumb basketball dumb basketball.  Bad shots that go in are still bad shots.  The league's defending 2-time MVP is a white, passing point guard (and the MVP award is about the only thing he can defend) for a reason - he's taking advantage of the talent around him to play better than his (lesser) talent would allow.

Isolation basketball is over.  Jordan is old and gray, and good riddance.  Maybe he'll take his attitude with him.

Team basketball is back - and it should have never left.  This posturing and belittlement of players to try to determine "who's best, and how good are they" is something that should have gone out the window the moment you started playing basketball - if your coach was worth anything.

And if it hasn't?  Then you're probably part of the problem.  Be a Bobcat fan - you can cheer for Jordan as a GM or whatever over-inflated, undeserved title they've given him.  After all - it's all about him, isn't it?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2006, 03:03:57 PM »
Another rim rockin slam dunk by Lurker.

Now as to Mr. Durability 40+ minutes per game macho Kobe, can we post the stats on games missed since SuperGnob came into the league vs Kobe?

<cricktets>

And lest I sound as if favoring GNob too much, Laker posters we are all disappointed GNob is only 2-4 on titles for his career.
Should he be 3-4 and working on a Celtlike 4-5?  Yes, and that is disappointing.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2006, 03:58:49 PM »
Now as to Mr. Durability 40+ minutes per game macho Kobe, can we post the stats on games missed since SuperGnob came into the league vs Kobe?

I wouldn't go down that path Reality.  Both players have missed several games due to injuries.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2006, 04:09:13 PM »
That wasn't directed at you but at another "enlightened" Laker fan.  But if a general statement makes your panties get all bunched up then maybe it was closer to the truth than you care to admit.

Gee, that was so obvious, especially since you quoted my post you tard.

Of course I noticed you left off ....

You debate like a girl.  I left those off because you focused on those three stats in regards to "defensive schemes" pendejo.  Use your tangent-inaccurate quoting-made up statements-jerkoff head tactics when posting to Randy, I find it unimpressive and "tardish".

Whereas my arguments have been based on current year production...yours are simply statements of opinion and innuendo.  But I'll freely admit that Kobe had higher stats in the categories you listed LAST year.  Simply because a fact is a fact.

So Kobe's surgery is just my opinion, using last years stats to show where he will be when healthy (like last year) is innuendo.  Mmmmmmkay, I'm just impressed you know the term innuendo, let alone use it in proper context.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2006, 04:28:41 PM »
So Kobe's surgery is just my opinion, using last years stats to show where he will be when healthy (like last year) is innuendo.  Mmmmmmkay, I'm just impressed you know the term innuendo, let alone use it in proper context.

No the statement..."when he is healthy he will return to last year's production (paraphrased)"...is opinion.  Until later in the season when he is putting up similar numbers to change the opinion to fact it will remain your opinion.  I could state that he won't return to last year's level of production but that too would be opinion and not fact.  Comparing statistics (numbers based on facts) is an established method of debating a topic. I have attempted to use various facts to show that the opinions of some posters on this board towards Manu are artificially low.  In return I get name calling and various opinions but very little substantial discussion of FACTS.
-Moody Blues