Author Topic: Top guy in Philly confirms AI is GONE!  (Read 10946 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Top guy in Philly confirms AI is GONE!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 10:55:01 AM »
Lurker,

I read that article you mentioned.  I don't agree with it.

If no one is currently bidding for Iverson, I'd make a good offer.  If I really want Iverson, then I might improve my offer a bit - especially if the other team is serious, and is willing to work with me by saying what they really want from me.  But I'm not going to get into a bidding war.  If I want Iverson, I'll make my best offer in short order, and if that's not good enough, then I'll take myself out of the running.

There's no sense in purchasing an item for $10 a month down the road if you aren't willing to spend $10 on it today (assuming, of course, you've got the $10).  If my best offer is $7.50 now, my best offer a month down the road is certainly *NOT* going to be more than $7.50 - and it may be less.

If you're saying that GM's aren't willing to make an offer they'd be happy with until someone is bidding against them, then I'd argue that that's the sign of a stupid GM.  That GM is wasting away the season.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 11:45:20 AM »
I think the longer it goes on the better it will be for the Sixers.  In the first place, it's unlikely that any player or players they get in return are going to instantly make Philly a contender.  So there's no reason to trade him, other than that they're paying big money to a guy they're not playing - so what, they've been doing that for years! :D

There are good teams out there with multiple players in the top twenty.  One of them needs to get serious about what it will take to improve their team.

Parker for Iverson is a trade SA should make in a heartbeat.  Iverson is so much more talented than Parker, that he would provide Duncan with much better support.  I just don't think SA has any players the Sixers would want.  I wouldn't want Parker in a trade, even if Eva comes to Philla. to watch!  I'm not impressed with Manu either.

Dallas makes good sense, since it was apparent in the last finals that Jason Terry needs some seasoning, if he's ever going to be tough enough.  If AI was running the point in Dallas instead, IMO, they'd have a ring by now.  Dallas has more players than they know what to do with and Cuban doesn't care about the Salary Cap.  It's not like they're setting the world on fire with their play right now, either.  The Mavericks are in need of a spark, and AI is Mr. Sparky himself!

There is another alternative- which is to send him to a team that has trouble filling the stands. AI is a very popular player, and people come out to see him.  He puts on a good show. Maybe Atlanta will take him for Joe Johnson.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 11:52:50 AM »
Lurker,

I read that article you mentioned.  I don't agree with it.

If no one is currently bidding for Iverson, I'd make a good offer.  If I really want Iverson, then I might improve my offer a bit - especially if the other team is serious, and is willing to work with me by saying what they really want from me.  But I'm not going to get into a bidding war.  If I want Iverson, I'll make my best offer in short order, and if that's not good enough, then I'll take myself out of the running.

There's no sense in purchasing an item for $10 a month down the road if you aren't willing to spend $10 on it today (assuming, of course, you've got the $10).  If my best offer is $7.50 now, my best offer a month down the road is certainly *NOT* going to be more than $7.50 - and it may be less.

If you're saying that GM's aren't willing to make an offer they'd be happy with until someone is bidding against them, then I'd argue that that's the sign of a stupid GM.  That GM is wasting away the season.

Joe...I would say that is a GM that is trying to get a bargain at the best available price.  If I am in the Iverson sweepstakes I make a reasonable offer but definately not my BEST offer.  If I can get that $10 item for $7 then I feel I am ahead.  But if the seller hestitates or asks for more then I know I can pay more and still feel I got my monies worth.  But I won't go over what I consider my top offer.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 11:55:46 AM »
Parker for Iverson is a trade SA should make in a heartbeat.  Iverson is so much more talented than Parker, that he would provide Duncan with much better support.  I just don't think SA has any players the Sixers would want.  I wouldn't want Parker in a trade, even if Eva comes to Philla. to watch!  I'm not impressed with Manu either.

Sorry rick, but you are dreaming.  The Spurs would NOT trade Parker for Iverson.  In fact Pop has already gone on record as saying that the Spurs do not intend to pursue AI as they don't have anyone they are willing to give up for him.  But keep dreaming that you will get a young all-star PG in return.  Philly would jump all over a deal for Iverson that included Parker.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 11:56:05 AM »
Maybe Atlanta will take him for Joe Johnson.

Iverson would nix that trade.

I think he wants to go to a contendor.

I heard a rumor he's already nixed a trade to the Charlotte Bobcats, don't know if its true or not?
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 11:58:05 AM »

Sorry rick, but you are dreaming.  The Spurs would NOT trade Parker for Iverson.  In fact Pop has already gone on record as saying that the Spurs do not intend to pursue AI as they don't have anyone they are willing to give up for him.  But keep dreaming that you will get a young all-star PG in return.  Philly would jump all over a deal for Iverson that included Parker.

Skander already answered this for you, Lurker:

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 01:03:51 PM »
Lurker, that's just posturing by the Spurs.  Parker will never, ever be as good as AI.  For the next 4-5 years that will still be the case.  The only thing that might make the Spurs hesitate is his salary, and any chemistry issues.  The Spurs came up short last season, and logically should do something to improve, and Parker was overmatched against the players he was up against.

Duncan would find his life much easier with a real NBA all star on the floor with him, instead of a one series wonder like Parker.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 01:25:21 PM »

Players can no longer refuse to report to other teams.  After Alonzo Mourning raped Toronto, Sternie and the owners installed a new rule.
Now Randy if you and Skandery are saying he can just refuse to play hard, well yes he can.  However no report = suspension of salary.
I'll dig up the link.
He could also "nix" the trade by saying he won't go to Atlanta.

Q.  Did Iverson have any say in the Webber acquisition?  If Ivy was against it, i say screw the Sixers and I would accomidate A.I. in trying to help him go where he wants, as long as it also benefits the Sixers.  If he was all for the Webber trade, i say do what you want with the little punk.  Trade him to Vancouver.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 01:29:11 PM »
Lurker, that's just posturing by the Spurs.  Parker will never, ever be as good as AI. 

While I don't agree with that rt, i completely agree the Spurs should pounce on an AI for Parker trade. 
With the stupid salary match requirement you would have to throw in a lot of scrubs, but you ain't getting Top 20 Gnobili, no way.

Isn't the salary match junk due to expire or be modified?

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 01:30:25 PM »

Players can no longer refuse to report to other teams.  After Alonzo Mourning raped Toronto, Sternie and the owners installed a new rule.
Now Randy if you and Skandery are saying he can just refuse to play hard, well yes he can.  However no report = suspension of salary.
I'll dig up the link.
He could also "nix" the trade by saying he won't go to Atlanta.

Q.  Did Iverson have any say in the Webber acquisition?  If Ivy was against it, i say screw the Sixers and I would accomidate A.I. in trying to help him go where he wants, as long as it also benefits the Sixers.  If he was all for the Webber trade, i say do what you want with the little punk.  Trade him to Vancouver.

Actually, that's not true -- some players have "no trade" clauses in their contract -- which allows them the right to refuse a trade.  I don't know if AI does or not but I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 01:33:42 PM »
Randoph you are most wrong.
I may make a new thread on this, it's pretty interesting.

"Iverson doesn't possess the ultimate hammer. NBA front-office sources confirmed Tuesday that his contract does not contain a no-trade clause.
In fact, as far as I know, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant is the only NBA player who has one."

And....In the NBA, only players with at least eight years of service time and four with the same team are eligible for a no-trade clause.
The problem [for A.I.]?
Very few players get to that point with one team and then have the opportunity to negotiate a no-trade clause through free-agency.
Star players like Iverson, for starters, generally sign their first big-money deals well before their eighth season.
Star players like Iverson, furthermore, often sign extensions to those big deals ... and NBA extensions do not allow players to add major changes in contract terms, such as a no-trade clause. A player must enter free agency to change major terms in a contract.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 01:48:03 PM by Reality »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 01:34:07 PM »
Lurker, that's just posturing by the Spurs.  Parker will never, ever be as good as AI.  For the next 4-5 years that will still be the case.  The only thing that might make the Spurs hesitate is his salary, and any chemistry issues.  The Spurs came up short last season, and logically should do something to improve, and Parker was overmatched against the players he was up against.

Duncan would find his life much easier with a real NBA all star on the floor with him, instead of a one series wonder like Parker.

How about two real NBA all stars?  Like both Ginobili & Parker but then the coaches selecting those guys to play in the all-star game must have been rigged, right?  Maybe we could add a couple other former all-stars like Finley & Barry.  There is a very short list of guards that the Spurs would trade Parker for...and AI would not be on that list.

The Spurs like their point guard who can hit 50% of his shots.  They don't need a PG who will dominate the ball for the first 20 seconds of the play clock and then jack up the best shot available.

BTW in case you have never noticed...Pop is known as a very straight shooter.  Players aroiund the league admire how straight forward he is.  He doesn't "posture" in the press.
-Moody Blues

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2006, 01:39:47 PM »
No way Spurs would or should trade TP for AI.  I can think of a ton of reasons, but the two best are 1) chemistry and 2) age.  SA is already at a championship level, why would they mess with that?  AI is no spring chicken any more; he has a couple of good years left in him tops.  For the above reasons it's going to be darn near impossible for Philly to get jack for him from any team.  

It would be a challenge to make a good deal even if Philly had competent executive management.  Considering how they've handled this whole situation so far, it's inevitable the team and the fans will get screwed in this deal.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2006, 01:51:32 PM »
Rumor has it GoldenState is offering Biedrins + Davis.  Sixers should jump on that now

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2006, 01:58:05 PM »
Rumor has it GoldenState is offering Biedrins + Davis.  Sixers should jump on that now
No doubt!  King should be re lynched if true and he turns it down.
I can't figure out what GState would do this for.