Author Topic: Top guy in Philly confirms AI is GONE!  (Read 10911 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Top guy in Philly confirms AI is GONE!
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2006, 05:03:49 PM »
After reading through this thread, I'm convinced .... Manu is a better basketball player than Kobe. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2006, 05:09:44 PM »
After reading through this thread, I'm convinced .... Manu is a better basketball player than Kobe. 

You obviously only read every other word.  Otherwise you would realize that Manu taught MJ how to play the game and just waited until MJ was retired as to not show himn up in front of the American public.  You Laker fans and your lack of reading comprehension.   8)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2006, 05:22:23 PM »

Manu is a better basketball player than Kobe.

Maybe he ain't better than Kobe but one thing has become increasingly apparent

Manu has utterly and completely DISAPPEARED, vanished without a trace this season.  ;D

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2006, 05:25:50 PM »

You obviously only read every other word.  Otherwise you would realize that Manu taught MJ how to play the game and just waited until MJ was retired as to not show himn up in front of the American public.  You Laker fans and your lack of reading comprehension.   8)

;D

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2006, 05:26:44 PM »
Manu is a better basketball player than Kobe.

Maybe he ain't better than Kobe but one thing has become increasingly apparent

Manu has utterly and completely DISAPPEARED, vanished without a trace this season.  ;D

Who's this Manu everyone keeps talking about, I'm not familiar with this person?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2006, 05:32:48 PM »
Ali the aligator opens his mouth ( < or > ) to the bigger number....mmmmmkay

:D :D

I think he meant to say every category "per 40 minute".

Actually that is why I said IN 70%OF THE MINUTES....basically the categories are even and Manu plays ONLY 70% OF THE MINUTES Kobe plays.  If Kobe is a superstar then his rebounds, assists, steals, blocks should all be higher than Manu's because he plays 38 minutes a game compared to Manu's 27 minutes.  And that doesn't even talk about shooting % (which was Randy's BIG argument last week) where Manu leads in 2 of 3 categories.

70% of the time, it works EVERYtime!!

This would be a classic thread on Fanhome with thousands and thousands of replies.  Good thing we all understand that Kobe is much superior to Manu  ;D

But Lurker, Manu is shoot 45% while Kobe is shooting 48%.  That doesn't even talk about how being the 1st option and only real person who can create their own shot at anytime other then Odom he is forced to take low % shots.  If Kobe is having to carry the scoring load and has to play more minutes it is harder for him to continue at a high shooting % right?  So even though it is only 3% it is much more impressive.  Manu also has less of a responsibility on the defensive end because he only plays 70% of the time Kobe does.  So while his assist and rebounds could be higher, the longer minutes factor in at other spots.  Kobe actually has been a much better play maker then Manu has this year but the stats don't show that.  Let's also take into mind that Manu has a top notch post presence that allows him alot of spacing to shoot.  Nor is Manu being double teamed by any team in the league.

Each side can bend stats all day I understand what the Spurs fans are getting at, I just feel like poking some cattle (no pun intended)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2006, 05:56:44 PM »
In fact, I'd say that this is perhaps the area that really bothers me about Manu -- he will push the issue and make stupid decisions because he gets focused on his own gameplan too much.  He reminds me of Kobe in that area -- the difference is that Kobe can still make it happen!

This wouldn't be so funny if you weren't being so serious.  Maybe if you would watch more than 1/2 of a Spurs game every 3 years you could discuss the team at least halfway intelligently.

BTW if you want to compare Kobe & Manu try this....
Kobe                Manu

PPG 26.2             14.6
RPG 4.8                4.4   
APG 4.6                3.7
SPG 1.44              1.44
BPG .22                 .39
FG% .480              .450
FT% .845              .889
3P% .346              .418
MPG 38.0               26.9

WOW!  In 70% of the minutes the Spurs #3 option is doing better in almost every category except points per game compared to the Lakers superstar.  Not bad for a 3rd tier CBA reject.

Excellent slam dunk Lurker.
Please believe not all of us Californians practice Laker Math.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2006, 06:17:55 PM »
Except that Manu doesn't play that many minutes because he CAN'T!  IF he could, he might be comparable to Kobe, but he obviously cannot playing the way he does.
Since if he could perform at that level for 40 minutes, Pop would play him that much.

Iverson on the other hand, can play that many minutes and perform at a level very comparable to Kobe.

If Kobe were up for sale, wouldn't you expect other teams to pony up for his services?

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2006, 06:36:33 PM »
Okay, I think I'm getting your 70% rule, Lurker:

We are supposed to ignore 70% of Manu's bad shots, 70% of his bad decisions and 70% of his to's -- hmm, if you do that Manu does look like he could break into the top 3 tier of players in this league!

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2006, 06:40:03 PM »
Except that Manu doesn't play that many minutes because he CAN'T!  IF he could, he might be comparable to Kobe, but he obviously cannot playing the way he does.
Since if he could perform at that level for 40 minutes, Pop would play him that much.

Iverson on the other hand, can play that many minutes and perform at a level very comparable to Kobe.

If Kobe were up for sale, wouldn't you expect other teams to pony up for his services?

Umm, now you are comparing AI to Kobe -- sorry, he's not as good and he is much older. 

Manu CAN play more minutes -- he just isn't going to because the Spurs are deeeep in the SG position -- both Finley and Barry could start on many teams in the NBA.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2006, 12:25:53 AM »
SuperGnob going for 37 minutes per game in the 7 Game 2005 Champ series.
Same 37 in the West Conf finals vs Phx leading up to.
Yes i think he should be backed off to 30 by now until the 2007 playoffs.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2006, 08:28:20 AM »
This thread has gone haywire.

#1 -- No Reality, the Spurs don't need to trade Tony Parker for Allen Iverson and this has been documented ad nauseam

I'm very happy with Parker.
That being said, if a move is made for a 2007 Title enhancement, I'm going with:
Popavich and Parker for A.I. and Igs.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2006, 09:47:27 AM »
I'm very happy with Parker.
That being said, if a move is made for a 2007 Title enhancement, I'm going with:
Popavich and Parker for A.I. and Igs.

Why would you want to enhance Phoenix & Dallas's title chances?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2006, 10:09:35 AM »
70% of the time, it works EVERYtime!!

This would be a classic thread on Fanhome with thousands and thousands of replies.  Good thing we all understand that Kobe is much superior to Manu  ;D

I didn't want to go there BUT that moronic post did reak of Fanhomerism.

But Lurker, Manu is shoot 45% while Kobe is shooting 48%.  That doesn't even talk about how being the 1st option and only real person who can create their own shot at anytime other then Odom he is forced to take low % shots.  If Kobe is having to carry the scoring load and has to play more minutes it is harder for him to continue at a high shooting % right?  So even though it is only 3% it is much more impressive.  Manu also has less of a responsibility on the defensive end because he only plays 70% of the time Kobe does.  So while his assist and rebounds could be higher, the longer minutes factor in at other spots.  Kobe actually has been a much better play maker then Manu has this year but the stats don't show that.  Let's also take into mind that Manu has a top notch post presence that allows him alot of spacing to shoot.  Nor is Manu being double teamed by any team in the league.

Each side can bend stats all day I understand what the Spurs fans are getting at, I just feel like poking some cattle (no pun intended)

No, no, no, lets just go with the "per minute" bull shyte.  Silly desperation, I guess we'll have to inform the NBA to calculate the results of games based on the "per minute" contributions and NOT ON WHAT ACTUALLY OCCURS ON THE COURT.  Heck, Sterfish repealed the new b-ball so why shouldn't he go with this Texass line of thinking.  We'll have to take into account how many times players, especially Kobe, get double teamed, we'll have to multiply all their stats by 1.5 to get an accurate number.  In Kobe's case we may just have to double all his stats.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2006, 10:29:56 AM »
Well then let's go back to the top tier vs 3rd tier debate.  I woulds expect the stats for a 3rd tier SG to be MUCH lower than the superstar Kobe who is not only top tier but generally considered one of the top 5 players in the NBA.

Please explain how a 3rd tier SG can averafged the same number of rebounds in less minutes, less than 1 assist difference (especially since Kobe is the primary ball handler as opposed to a #3 option), equal number of steals in less minutes, more blocks in less minutes, etc.

Then there is the fact that Manu plays for his national team each summer thus in effect playing basketball year round.  As we have discussed on this board many times the players who play year round tend to have lower stats due to fatigue.

But since logic and stats are not to be used I guess we should just fall back on the old playground method....

my player is better.  nyah, nyah, nyah.   ::)
-Moody Blues