Author Topic: Seed by entire league, not Conference and Div  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Seed by entire league, not Conference and Div
« on: December 06, 2006, 01:42:53 AM »
After 3 more West Conf wins over East Conf tonight, the solution of playoff seeding by entire league instead of Conf and Division gathers more weight.

If anyone can find the site that gives the exact stats for West vs East head to head, please lay it on us.

Overall, counting all games the East can muster only 1 of the top 8 seeds. 3 of 13. Sure that will change when they start playing each other and a few more Easties will rise above .500. Still is this going to be a year Orlando gets to waltz thru the weak East while the West beats up on each other?  I'll grant you the Shaq injury drops Miami down but too bad, the AStoudamire injury dropped Phx down at the start.

W 1 Utah
E 2 Orlando
W 3 Spurs
W 4 Dallas
W 5 Houston
W 6 Lakers
W 7 Denver
W 8 Phx

E 9 Cleve
E 10 Det
W 11 Clipps
W 12 New Okla
__^^_______________all above .500, I'm not mentioning the sub .500s including Atlantic leading New Jersey at 7-10.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seed by entire league, not Conference and Div
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:09:36 AM »
Good stat site....http://www.dougstats.com/

Interdivisional Records for 06-07
Conference Records for 06-07

Eastern   ( 32- 59) 0.352
       Western   ( 59- 32) 0.648

Eastern home/away =  33/ 58
 East at home = 13 - 20 (0.394)
 West at home = 39 - 19 (0.672)

Division Records for 06-07

Atlantic  ( 23- 46) 0.333
       Central   ( 37- 36) 0.507
       Southeast ( 30- 35) 0.462
       Northwest ( 38- 34) 0.528
       Pacific   ( 37- 27) 0.578
       Southwest ( 39- 26) 0.600

Atlantic  Central   Southeast Northwest Pacific   Southwest
 Atlantic  (  0-  0) (  9- 12) (  7- 10) (  4- 10) (  0-  7) (  3-  7)
 Central   ( 12-  9) (  0-  0) ( 12-  8) (  3-  6) (  5-  6) (  5-  7)
 Southeast ( 10-  7) (  8- 12) (  0-  0) (  8-  4) (  1-  1) (  3- 11)
 Northwest ( 10-  4) (  6-  3) (  4-  8) (  0-  0) ( 14- 12) (  4-  7)
 Pacific   (  7-  0) (  6-  5) (  1-  1) ( 12- 14) (  0-  0) ( 11-  7)
 Southwest (  7-  3) (  7-  5) ( 11-  3) (  7-  4) (  7- 11) (  0-  0)

A couple things to note...West has superior record but then 2/3 of interconference games have been on West home courts.  Southeast has only winning record against a West division: 8-4 vs Northwest.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 11:18:08 AM »
61-32 is the head to head.  This after a 14-14 run by the East the past 10 days.

While I prefer seeding done by entire league record, at the very least i want seeding done by Conference record.
This bit about sub .500 teams Div winners being 3rd seed is bogile.  Toronto and Jersey *leading* the Atlantic at 7-10.
I'm sure one Atlantic will ascend to .500+ but still.....

I'm not even saying the West has a lock for the best team.  We learned that in 2004 when it seemed Spurs-LAL would title.  Instead Det.
Likewise Orlando may have the best team this year.  However the unequal path to the playoffs is bogile.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 11:21:58 AM »
Can you explain to me how Houston would have the higher seed between them and the Lakers Reality.

Honestly if more then 3 sub .500 teams get into the playoffs this year I think it is time for the league to re-think how they have it setup.  If they want to give the highest possible product to the fans in the playoffs, then they may need to re-think a few things.

Honestly, that Atlantic division is so horrible.  Its pathetic.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 11:32:55 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 11:39:07 AM »
Just a small correction...the winner of the Atlantic division will most likely be the 4th seed.  The 3 division winners and the next best record are seeded 1-4 based on record.  That was changed last year after the Dallas-SA 2nd round matchup.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:05:40 PM »
Personally, I wish they would just seed the top 8 teams in each conference according to their record and forget the division.  Right now the Nets are the 4th seed in the EC with a .412 record -- the same record as Toronto who is the 8th seed.  That's lame!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 01:45:29 PM »
Can you explain to me how Houston would have the higher seed between them and the Lakers Reality.
Sorry, altho identical records the Lakers better conf record would make them 5 and Hou 6.
Hope that is better.

Yes Luker i do see that is one improvement Stern made after last years Spurs Dallas in R2.
All the other pro leagues fixed that decades ago.
Cant stand that loser.  We will still have plenty of teams with lesser records being higher seeds and thus getting homecourt to boot.
Seed by Conf record at the very least.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 02:58:14 PM »
Cant stand that loser.  We will still have plenty of teams with lesser records being higher seeds and thus getting homecourt to boot.

Sorry but they fixed the homecourt issue last season.  Team with best record gets homecourt regardless of seed.  Last year Clips had home court although Denver was higher seed.

Also we are less than 25% of way through the season.  IMO the imbalance in teams above/below .500 will switch.  Because every teams schedule is tilted towards their own conference (52 of 82 games) the better teams (even in the weaker East) will rise to the top of the conference.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 03:11:22 PM »

Sorry but they fixed the homecourt issue last season.  Team with best record gets homecourt regardless of seed.  Last year Clips had home court although Denver was higher seed. 

And LordSternfish had very condescending remarks about finally changing that last year.
"Now that will give them something elso to complain about."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 02:30:31 PM »
UPDATE:

Currently there would be 2 Eastern teams in the top 8.

If 16 teams were seeded then there would be 10 from the west and 6 from the east.  Included are Hawks and Warriors with below .500 records and NO team from the Atlantic division.
-Moody Blues