Author Topic: In honor of Gnob - Stupidest playoff moments  (Read 3168 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
In honor of Gnob - Stupidest playoff moments
« on: November 27, 2006, 04:25:49 PM »
Thinking about that amazing 3-point play by Dirk in last years playoffs, what are some of the stupidest plays you can remember.  Off the top of my head:

Isiah passing it to Bird in the ECF for one of the most famous endings at Boston Garden.

Derek Harper running out the clock vs. the Lakers with the game tied thinking they were winning.

No college ball, otherwise Webber would win hands down.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: In honor of Gnob - Stupidest playoff moments
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 04:35:48 PM »
An injured Bob Parish at 60% (due to supercheapshot by Kupcake) denied a 6th title (4th at the time) when he and Kevin McHale fought over the same rebound in the first post Lenny Bias asterik year 1987.  Ball went out of bounds and Tragic did his baby hook.
Instead of 2-2 it made it 3-1 as L.A. escaped.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 04:54:25 PM »
An injured Bob Parish at 60% (due to supercheapshot by Kupcake) denied a 6th title (4th at the time) when he and Kevin McHale fought over the same rebound in the first post Lenny Bias asterik year 1987.  Ball went out of bounds and Tragic did his baby hook.

Your memory sucks as bad as your b-ball knowledge.  Cupcake wasn't even on that Laker team, last Laker team he was on lost to the Rockets, that's when the Lakers switched to speed demon forwards instead of bruisers like Mitch.  That was the same year Parish chapeshotted Lambier and the ONLY reason the Celtics squeeked into the Finals was because MicroWave and Dantley knocked heads diving after a loose ball.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 04:57:12 PM »
One in recent memory is Vlade Divac smacking the basketball into the middle of the court during a playoff game for Robert Horry to pick up and shoot.

Kobe his rookie year against the Jazz and all those AIRBALLS he kept shooting.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 05:19:06 PM »
One in recent memory is Vlade Divac smacking the basketball into the middle of the court during a playoff game for Robert Horry to pick up and shoot.

Kobe his rookie year against the Jazz and all those AIRBALLS he kept shooting.

You can't blame Vlade, he figured better get it away from the basket since he couldn't control it.

But Kobe, that was horrid, absolutely horrid.  I had enough trouble believing his first attempt but his second was beyond beleif.  It wasn't all Kobe's fault, Dell Harris should be tared and feathered for calling those plays.  Many a Laker player has gone on record as saying it was clear to everyone, inlcuding Kobe, that it was NVE's team in clutch time and nobody could believe the play was being called for Kobe by Dell. 
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 05:42:53 PM »
Wasn't Scott Padgett's basket interference on John Stockton's shot in a playoff game? 

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 05:42:59 PM »

Your memory sucks as bad as your b-ball knowledge.  Cupcake wasn't even on that Laker team, last Laker team he was on lost to the Rockets, that's when the Lakers switched to speed demon forwards instead of bruisers like Mitch.  That was the same year Parish chapeshotted Lambier and the ONLY reason the Celtics squeeked into the Finals was because MicroWave and Dantley knocked heads diving after a loose ball.

My bad.  That's right, the key thing leading to the '85 breakthru by Laker Nation was Kupcakes cheapshot to SuperBob.  He had just worked Kareem in the '84 Finals, was set to do so again.  '87 was  the late Lenny Bias, McHales broken ankle and K.C. Popavich as the MVP for the Lakers.  

Ah, 1980-86 hoop.  The Golden years.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 05:44:06 PM »
Wasn't Scott Padgett's basket interference on John Stockton's shot in a playoff game?  

Oh yeah, that one ranks right up there.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 05:48:09 PM »
I forget the play exactly but how about the Knicks playoff series where Larry Johnson (I think it was him) hit a 3 then was fouled for the 4 point play that eventually being the difference.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 06:26:25 PM »
I forget the play exactly but how about the Knicks playoff series where Larry Johnson (I think it was him) hit a 3 then was fouled for the 4 point play that eventually being the difference.

Was that really a foul or just NY getting a big city call by "Knick" Bavetta?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 06:35:36 PM »
The absolute worst is the Sixers inbounds play against Boston in the 66 playoffs, allowing Havlicek to steal the Ball!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 06:36:51 PM »
My bad.  That's right, the key thing leading to the '85 breakthru by Laker Nation was Kupcakes cheapshot to SuperBob.  He had just worked Kareem in the '84 Finals, was set to do so again.  '87 was  the late Lenny Bias, McHales broken ankle and K.C. Popavich as the MVP for the Lakers.  

Ah, 1980-86 hoop.  The Golden years.

Broken ankle?  Check your memory in for maintenance.  Stress fracture in his foot.  The key in 85 was Kareem dominating, he showed everybody why Parish was just a pretender in the land of GOAT centers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 06:39:12 PM »
The absolute worst is the Sixers inbounds play against Boston in the 66 playoffs, allowing Havlicek to steal the Ball!

That wasn't even the worse play of that game, the worse was the previous play were Bill Russel threw the ball inbounds but hit the support line for the basket that gave the ball to the Sixers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 06:57:56 PM »

Was that really a foul or just NY getting a big city call by "Knick" Bavetta?

I guess that is a whole 'nother thread  ;D

Knick has recently changed his name to Mavetta according to Reality.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 10:35:27 AM »
Thinking about that amazing 3-point play by Dirk in last years playoffs, what are some of the stupidest plays you can remember.  Off the top of my head:

Isiah passing it to Bird in the ECF for one of the most famous endings at Boston Garden.

Derek Harper running out the clock vs. the Lakers with the game tied thinking they were winning.

No college ball, otherwise Webber would win hands down.

Actually, Webber would have some competition - specifically, from the Georgetown player who threw the ball to James Worthy for Dean Smith's OTHER national championship in 1982.

If we're going to talk stupid - John Starks, hoisting shot after shot in Game 7 of the 1994 Finals, when it's obvious to anyone - well, anyone other than Starks - that he's cold.  2-19 in Game 7, giving Starks the victory over Vernon Maxwell in the two-man match-up for the title of "Player Who Can Shoot His Team Out Of A Championship."

Nick "the Brick" Anderson misses four free throws in the final minute - any one of which would have given Orlando the win against Houston in the 1995 Finals.

James Worthy throws a cross-court pass in the closing moments of a 1984 playoff game that's picked off by Gerald Henderson.

By a ref - and I don't know which one - who gave the points for a three-pointer on a New York Knick shot that Patrick Ewing TIPPED ON THE WAY TO THE BASKET!

Another Derek Harper:  getting into a fight with a rookie in the New York-Chicago series, where the fight spilled over into the stands...specifically, the stands right in front of David Stern.  Don't even remember the Chicago stiff's name.

Eric Snow, last year, throwing the ball downcourt in the closing moments, out of the reach of all teammates, to try to prevent Detroit from fouling.  Instead, Detroit tracked down the ball for the steal.

General stupidity:  All the "NBA fans" who argued that Kevin Garnett should have responded to Anthony Peeler's popping him by taking a shot back at him in the 2004 playoffs.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!