Author Topic: Spurs 97 Mavs 91  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« on: November 03, 2006, 11:23:27 AM »
Francisco Elson is getting tons of buzz for his role.
How nice is it to see a 6'10" player get the ball and take it up for the dunk?  Very nice.  R.I.P. Nazr the Juker.

Pop-a-moron was still trying to do the small ball bullcrap until he put the Elson-Dunkin combo back in.  Wounder what the + pts was for those two in game? :up:
GNob had more of those classic steals.
Tony Parker looked okay, should not have played tho.  Beno did a good job filling in.
Fabbs looked like crap.  Had a few good D plays vs Dirk, otherwise he got roasted.  Should have been benched much sooner.

Mavs can play better, and will.
If Spurs stick with Twin Towers tho it will be a title.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 11:52:41 AM »
elson was good...looked like a nice replacement for nazr.

fabs....uggghh.   this guy just looked like crap.  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 11:05:15 AM »
If Spurs stick with Twin Towers tho it will be a title.
I don't see how the Spurs will be able to play the twin towers against Phx and the Mavs.  The Mavs and Phx will see twin towerish lineups all season long and will NOT need to make adjustments durring the playoffs.  The Spurs will have to play the Mavs and Suns type of lineups or get burried.

With TD and Elson on the floor who guards Dirk?  Only one of them can guard the Mavs center, who at times will be Dirk, the other is left to try and deal with Dirk or the Mavs SF who's really a big 2 guard.  On the flip side the Mavs can match up on defense with the Spurs without making adjustments, not that the Mavs defend the Spurs well but they don't have to make changes to their defense.  Same goes for the Suns.

Those teams are just matchup nightmare for most teams in the league while teams like the Spurs/Heat are you're typical game plan.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 11:06:24 AM »
fabs....uggghh.   this guy just looked like crap.
At least he's consistent!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 11:16:10 AM »
W.O.W. - Elson has the quickness to stay with Dirk well.  Last night showed that if you watched the second half.  And if Dirk gets around Elson then Duncan is waiting at the rim.  And since Elson can guard Dirk that allows Bowen to focus on Howard.

Last night's win was big in 3 areas...
1. A road win against a quality opponent...always big during the season.
2. A win against a division rival...could be really big if tiebreakers play a role in determining division champ & #1 seed.
3. A win against a potential (probable) playoff opponent...the weakest of the 3 reasons due to how early in the season but any psychological edge helps.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 11:35:28 AM »
Yes WOW last year the Mavs drove the ball to the hoop repeatedly.  No Spurs like NazrRash to defend the paint.  Elson definitely helped close down the paint and rebounded very well.  Plus he can run the floor. :up:

True you speak that Spurs Recruiting Machine of 1999-2004 has drawn a fart in trying and failing to get a long athletic fast 3.  Scola was supposed to be it, now there are doubts not only about his ever arriving in S.A. but whether or not he is good enough.

So Spurs have to pick their poison.  Let a big like Elson guard Dirk or go small ball.
Last night along with 2005 title shows perhaps it's better to take a chance on Dirk missing enough shots.

1-0 Tall Ball.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 11:40:42 AM »
And if Dirk gets around Elson then Duncan is waiting at the rim.
That used to work very well against Shaq and the Lakers with DRob and TD.  It used to be very frustrating to watch Shaq dominate his defender only to get run into another brick wall 7 footer.  It wasn't until Kobe became god-like that the Lakers had an answer for the Spurs.

I doubt that Elson will have any success against Dirk, I'd put money on it in fact.  The playoffs will be a very different experience for the Spurs vs the Mavs, if they even meet, and the Spurs will be the one's scrambling to make adjustments.  IMO the Spurs don't have the one-two punch to win another title against the current teams in the league.  The Spurs will have to ride TD all the way since Parker and GNob don't cut the mustard in the playoffs.  They either disappear (Tony) or are too inconsistent (GNob) to win a long series.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 12:38:50 PM »
They either disappear (Tony) or are too inconsistent (GNob) to win a long series.
You are imitating Randy here...review recent playoffs not just the one series versus the Lakers a couple years ago.  Players actually mature and change.

In fact, if not for a brain fart by Ginobili in game 7 against Dallas the Spurs would have been the team to advance.  You talk like the Mavs swept the Spurs and SA was just lucky to win the first regular season matchup.

BTW Elson already had success against Dirk...but then you would prefer to ignore last night's game since it doesn't support your point of view.   B)  
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 12:39:47 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 12:52:48 PM »
You are imitating Randy here...review recent playoffs not just the one series versus the Lakers a couple years ago.  Players actually mature and change.

The Lakers were more than a couple of years ago, thier playoff series vs the Pistons just showed more of the same a couple of years ago.  I didn't see much from anyone other than TD vs the Mavs last year but I wasn't paying that close attention I guess.

In fact, if not for a brain fart by Ginobili in game 7 against Dallas the Spurs would have been the team to advance.  You talk like the Mavs swept the Spurs and SA was just lucky to win the first regular season matchup.

Please point out that particular "talk", you're so much like Randy it's starting to make me wonder how many REAL posters are around here.

BTW Elson already had success against Dirk...but then you would prefer to ignore last night's game since it doesn't support your point of view.   B)

One game does not a season make, otherwise the Lakers should start planning a victory parade today.  Elson is an interesting player, an athletic 7 footer with decent speed but Dirk will figure him out and Elson will have as much success guarding Dirk as anybody else in the league, NONE.  Bank on it.

You big girl!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 02:02:59 PM »
BTW Elson already had success against Dirk...but then you would prefer to ignore last night's game since it doesn't support your point of view.   B)

One game does not a season make, otherwise the Lakers should start planning a victory parade today.  Elson is an interesting player, an athletic 7 footer with decent speed but Dirk will figure him out and Elson will have as much success guarding Dirk as anybody else in the league, NONE.  Bank on it.

You big girl!
Well listen you little sissy....

Elson will be as much of a Dirk-stopper as Patterson was a Kobe-stopper.  You just don't stop the great scorers.  However Elson will bother Dirk enough that Bowen is available to guard another player.  In last year playoffs it wasn't Dirk (except for the Bavetta gift) that hurt the Spurs.  It was Howard & Daniels.  With another player who can cover Dirk it frees up Bowen for other defensive duties.  You can put that in the same bank that you want me to use.

As far as "talk"...your entire post about the Spurs having to totally adjust to the Suns/Mavs insinuates that the Spurs are a notch below those teams and have to scramble to beat them.  The Spurs already made the adjustment...they signed a quick, defensive-minded 7 footer that can play on the court with Duncan, Parker, Ginobili & Bowen.  The evidence was down the stretch in last night's game...watch it with a more subjecctive view.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 02:53:12 PM »
Well put.  
A couple times last night Parker ended up covering Dirk.  He missed both shots.  Same thing a few times in the playoffs.  So stopping or not stopping Dirk is not the key to Spurs beating the Mavs.

Tall ball will also allow Bowen to spot up for treys.  Bowen?  Yep, Bowen.  Just as he hit a few key ones last night (to go up 88-84 with 2 minutes left after the assist from GNob) he also hit timely key ones in the 2005 Tall Ball Championship run.
In fact was 2nd on team in treys attempted and made.  
(Co MVP SuperGNob was #1)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 03:57:48 PM »
W.O.W. - just so you don't think only diehard Spurs fans saw the game as I described; take a look at this quote (emphasis mine).

Elson chipped in with 12 points, six rebounds and two blocks in 26 quality minutes, highlighted by his quite credible coverage of Dirk Nowitzki. Elson's rangy presence helped hound Nowitzki into a 3-for-10 second half and, more importantly, freed up Duncan to stay out of foul trouble while enabling Bowen to focus on Howard.

Source of quote

-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 02:34:10 PM »
Can someone give be backround on this heated Spurs/Mavs rivalry?  I must have missed all the hate, the fights, and down right  slanderous media jabs over the years.  I swear it sounds like this was penciled in prime for this season.  They were rival teams sure.  That is what happens when you are both elite teams in the same conference.  ESPN is reporting they HATE each other.  Even had Horry throwing out jabs.  Was I asleep all last season when we filpped Dallas and San Antonio with Indiana and Detroit?

Last nights game was very exciting I might add! Bron is to fast and strong for anyone to be able to really guard.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 02:35:18 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 08:55:28 PM »
The only question I had was why didn't AJ play Harris more -- esp. with the success he had against Parker and the Spurs in the playoffs?

Umm, calling Elson a "Dirk stopper" after one game is a bit premature, isn't it?  Well, perhaps it isn't when you are wearing those Spur blinders!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs 97 Mavs 91
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 04:01:28 AM »
Umm, calling Elson a "Dirk stopper" after one game is a bit premature, isn't it?  Well, perhaps it isn't when you are wearing those Spur blinders!
Randy stop being imbecilic.
No one said Elson is a "Dirk stopper".

Lurkers quote and bolded part are spot on.