Author Topic: Switch back to Yahoo for FNBA?  (Read 6974 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Switch back to Yahoo for FNBA?
« on: November 01, 2006, 04:45:38 PM »
Ted suggested we cut and run, I agree.  NBA.com is just to clumsy and makes the league a drag.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 04:51:24 PM »
Whats the problem?  Site works well for me I don't have any troubles.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 05:47:43 PM »
West, have you ever used Yahoo?

Much more intuitive. Much more reliable. So far it's been a 50/50 crapshoot whether or not the site works for me, and that's on both a Mac and a PC.

The idea of free live scoring is nice, but IMO it's not worth it. Maybe it's all mental with me, but Miguel is right, it's a drag. Even the player info pages suck. It's like someone over there is saying, "Okay, we're going to do fantasy, but we're going to do everything backasswards so we're different from Yahoo." The more I try to use this site, the more I dislike it.

I'll follow the majority, but my vote goes for switching now before we miss more than a few games.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:02:43 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 06:00:53 PM »
Also, if we're in love with the draft options for NBA.com; i.e., the pick trading and so forth (which no one used this year), we could probably run next year's draft through NBA.com and switch to Yahoo after the dust settles.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:14:16 PM by Ted »

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 06:01:49 PM »
I saw Ted's message on NBA.com

I know I posted a ton of problems on their, myself.  I also agree that the site isn't nearly as intuitive as Yahoo, but I say we give it a little more time to grow on us.  

In the meantime, I know that two people did not register a team for Yahoo and I don't know how we could add them and trade all the right players to all the right people without losing some weeks of the season.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 06:13:26 PM »
The site IS growing on me . . . like a damn flesh-eating bacteria. The site is an interest-killing quagmire. I admit it's probably 50% attitude. But when you sit there and slog through "unavailable" options and poorly designed functions while knowing you have a much better alternative, it's hard to overcome the "attitude" part. Once you get used to using a well-built, well-conceived product, you don't see why you should have to use a steaming-pile-of-sh*t product.

The switch does not have to be as complicated as you think Skander. All we have to do is create a new league. Then Bods or someone he designates would have to enter the draft manually. Not too hard really. It would take a couple of hours once every one registered for the league. I'll even volunteer to enter the draft manually. We could have done in a day or two.

You all know my vote.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:14:58 PM by Ted »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 06:50:16 PM »
I agree with WOW & Ted on this one (a Laker & a Jazz fan...I feel violated).

The NBA site sucks.  You can't see stats for EVERY category easily.  You have to link to 3-4 pages to just evaluate a player.  Seeing the results for your matchup requires additional links and has that screwed up display that shows players at all their various positions.

I vote for the following in order:
1. Switch back to Yahoo...if done within a week.
2. Finish the season on NBA; then switch to Yahoo next year.
3. Stick with NBA...in which case my team will be available next summer.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline cudall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 06:56:25 PM »
i agree. the nba.com interface is very aggravating . . .
if the league/teams can be reconstructed relatively painlessly (and within a week or so), i say let's do it.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 08:27:17 PM »
I doubt it's possible to switch over now that the season's started ... especially since only ten of the twelve people signed up at Yahoo.

I don't mind switching back to Yahoo, but I would guess it will have to wait until next season.

We can try to switch now, but considering not everyone is over there, and we'd lose a week of results ... I don't know.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:03:52 PM »
I actually agree.  What does it for me is not seeing who's actually playing to add/drop.

I've created another league in yahoo.  If you want to switch to yahoo, just join:
League ID#:    190741
League Name:    PhillyArena 2
Password:    nbaugly

If we get all 12 people to join, I'll enter in the draft results manually, and scoring will just begin whenever we get that finished.

nba.com will have some really nice features.  But I say we use yahoo this year, keep nba.com running and just sporadically check back to see if the interface has improved at all, and come back next year if it's better.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 10:06:49 PM »
btw, yahoo's made some really nice improvements this year, including:
1) Trade block
2) Personalized notes on my team page
3) Watch list
etc

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 10:14:48 PM »
Count me in as one who would like to change, if it's possible at this point -- the fantasy league at nba.com is almost as pathetic as Avery Johnson as a NBA point guard!

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 01:28:43 AM »
Not to be a dissenting opinion, but I hate the idea of losing the first week of the season.  I thought we could just stick it out this season and then move back to Yahoo next year.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 01:32:03 AM »
I'd rather lose a week of the season than go the entire season dis-interested or aggravated.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 01:37:46 AM »
Okay, but I say we get it done AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.  Can we start games immediately after rosters are submitted?  I know you can enter the rosters, Derek.  Will they be the current rosters at nba.com?  I just picked up Q. Richardson and would like to have him over at Yahoo.