Author Topic: RIP Red Auerbach  (Read 1090 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
RIP Red Auerbach
« on: October 30, 2006, 12:57:06 PM »
I for one, am sorry to see this legend pass on.  He was the architect of the greatest dynasty in sports, and with intelligents and determination, managed to keep the Celtics on top of the NBA for years.

He is the reason Philly didn't win as many championships as it would have otherwise.  Even when his teams didn't have equal talent, they had superior teamwork and a better gameplan.

He was a pioneer in sports, particularly the NBA.  He didn't have anyone else to model himself on, to figure out how to accomplish all he did.  He had to invent these ideas himself, along with his players.  He was a great coach, and a great identifier of talent.  The NBA had to change draft rules, after he figured out how to get Larry Bird by drafting him a year early.

Red was always scheming, always trying to find a way around the rules so Boston could keep winning.

A truly worthy opponent, and one you really wanted to beat, so you could take the cigar out of his mouth!

He will be missed.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
RIP Red Auerbach
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 01:16:43 PM »
Yeah they were talking about how long Red and the Celts title streak could have gone on with Lenny Bias.  We'll never know. :unsure:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
RIP Red Auerbach
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 01:29:05 PM »
Damn!  Didn't hear about this till now.  The NBA has lost a major legend.

He had his positives and negatives but from a strickly basketball standpoint...the guy was a heck of a coach.  Sure he had alot of talent on many of his squads but as we all know (ie Portland/USA Basketball team) that doesn't mean you automatically dominate  in the fashion his Celtics did.

Not only did he do alot for the sport but for the city of Boston as well.  His mark will forever be on the game.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com