Author Topic: OK Caleb, Skander, and Joe  (Read 3279 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
OK Caleb, Skander, and Joe
« on: October 20, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »
GO TIGERS[/size][/font]
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 02:52:03 PM »
GO CARDS!!!
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 02:53:14 PM »
YA - DEE

YA - DEE

YA - DEE
[/size]

...and how can you not love Tageuchi because he's

SooooOOoooooOOOOoooooOOOooooo  Tageuchi[/size]

GO CARDINALS !!

P.S. If we don't get swept, I'll consider it a moral victory. B)  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 03:05:04 PM »
ESPN is jinxing your team like they jinxed the Mets!!!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 05:45:25 PM »
YA - DEE

YA - DEE

YA - DEE
[/size]

...and how can you not love Tageuchi because he's

SooooOOoooooOOOOoooooOOOooooo  Tageuchi[/size]

GO CARDINALS !!

P.S. If we don't get swept, I'll consider it a moral victory. B)
and I take it that moral victories are like kissing your sister, so if the Cards don't get swept then I expect Caleb and Skander to do the proverbial LIP LOCK!!!!
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 11:18:28 PM »
deleted double post... :rolleyes:  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 11:24:56 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 11:19:13 PM »
Carpenter should pitch games 1 & 4...he should win at least one so I wouldn't bet sweep.  Maybe 5.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 11:19:45 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 01:22:54 AM »
Game 1 is Anthony Reyes vs Justin Verlander
Game 2 is Jeff Weaver vs Kenny Rogers
Game 3 is Chris Carpenter vs Nate Robertson
Game 4 is Jeremy Bonderman vs Jeff Suppan
Game 5 is Anthony Reyes vs Justin Verlander
Game 6 is Jeff Weaver vs Kenny Rogers
Game 7 is Chris Carpenter vs Nate Robertson

I like the match up for the Tigers in Game 1.  Reyes has had more success at home than on the road, and Verlander is better in Comerica.  Verlander is far and away the better pitcher.  I think the Tigers will get to Reyes early, and I doubt he will last 5 innings, perhaps not even 4.

Game 2 will be a great match up.  Weaver has had good success at Comerica. Even on bad Tiger teams he has pitched well in Comerica, much better than his career averages.  Rogers has also pitched well in Comerica, and he has been a clutch emotional pitcher in the playoffs.  This one I think is a toss up.

In game 3 Carpenter will be pitching at home, and he is close to the best pitcher in beasball at home.  Robertson has pitched better on the road, so this is a good match up for the Tigers, but in the end Carpenter will prevail.

Bonderman vs Suppan in Game 4 is the pivotal game of the series.  Suppan is a better pitcher than most people give him credit for, and he has his greatest success in new Busch Stadium.  He has shown he can pitch under pressure, and he will be well rested, and will be close to his normal routine, while Bonderman will have gone 10-11 days between starts.  Bonderman has better stuff, and has pitched better on the road this year, by a decided margin.  Suppan is not the kind of pitcher who can dominate, Bonderman is.  Suppan can allow a lot of baserunners, and you need timely hitting to make him pay.  The Tigers have done that well this year.  I favor Bonderman in this one, but it will be a good game.

We repeat game 1 in game 5, and it will more of the same.  Reyes is not in Verlander's league.

Repeat of game 2 in game 6, back in Detroit.  If Weaver pitches well in game 2, then I think this could be the game he struggles in.  I was first on the list in saying the Cards adding Weaver was one of the best mid-seaosn moves in MLB, and he has had 6 straight good starts for the Cards, and 8 of his last 9 have been good starts.  A good one in game 2 would be 7 straight, and 9 of 10.  I think he will be due for a shaky start.  Rogers on the other hand has never been very successful in the postseason, so to expect 4 straight good to flawless starts might also be too much to ask.  I think Rogers is more mentally tough than Weaver, and I think if things go a little sideways for Weaver he might blow up.

Game 7 is a repeat of game 3.  Carpenter alone gives the advantage to the Cards, but Carpenter will be pitching on the road,  His home vs road differential is really very stark.  He is the better pitcher though, and all that picthing on the road does is make this no worse than a pickem deal.  If it is a pickem, I think you go with the guy who has won a Cy Young in the last couple of years.  In other words, I really hope it doesn't go 7 games, because if it does it is bad news for the Tigers.

In looking at offensive matchup, I think the Tigers have the advantage at
C with Pudge
2B with Polanco
SS with Guillen
LF with Monroe
RF with Ordonez
DH with Thames

St Louis has the advantage at
1B with Pujols

On paper I think the Cards have the advantage in CF and 3B with Rolen and Edmonds, but neither is healthy or playing very well.  For St Louis to win these 2 guys need to come up big, because right now Granderson and Inge are playing better.  If both Rolen and Edmonds struggle the Tigers roll.  The Cards were able to get by with subpar performance from these 2 against the Mets because they had better pitching than the Mets.  That isn't the case with Detroit.  Right now I would give the edge in these 2 positions to the Tigers, but it is a very slight edge than can go to the Cards easily.

Manager - I believe Leyland is the better manager.  I think this because he can inspire his team, and he isn't prone to overmanaging, which I think has always been LaRussa's biggest downfall.  LaRussa's ego can get in the way, but Leyland doesn't feel like he has to prove anything to anyone.

AA Mil

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 08:49:43 AM »
Hold on a second...which team am I supposed to be cheering for?

Given the choice between the Tigers - which is the last pro baseball team that I actually claimed to be a fan of - and the Cardinals - which are my "home" team - I'm just cheering for a seven game series.

In fact, when Caleb came over after the Cardinals game 7 victory, what was I wearing?  My Detroit Tigers shirt.  I don't actually have any sort of St. Louis Cardinal gear.

Any time we draft a league of Stratomatic Baseball, my team name is "the Detroit Tigers."

This year's playoffs and World Series have been the most interesting to me since I dropped out of following baseball - with interest waning starting with the Reds championship in 1990, and interest totally trashed when the players went on strike half-way through the next year.  The only thing I followed at all was Cal Ripken's iron man streak.  I didn't follow any of the home run races.

I guess I started watching a little closer last year with the White Sox having that pitching staff, and everyone dismissing them despite it, while I found myself thinking, "That's the freaking '88 Dodgers all over again."

So - who will it be this year?  The times the Cardinals have gone to the Series, I cheered for Milwaukee in '82, and St. Louis in '85, '87, and '04 (albeit barely - I didn't even watch a single game of the Series, to my recollection), so when the Cardinals are involved, whichever team I cheer for loses.

However, the one year the Tigers were there - 1984 - the Tigers were my team, they won, and my favorite player was the series MVP.  I always found myself cheering for Frank Tanana once they picked him up in years that followed (mostly, because I love watching junkballers pitch).

And in looking at the standings this year, I found myself pulling for Detroit to do well.  If I had to claim a team, this would have been the team I'd have claimed.  HOWEVER, they FIRED my favorite Tiger from the '84 sesons, and *THAT* truly upset me when I heard about it.

Tough call.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 11:14:52 PM »
How 'bout those Cards???

NICE win to begin the series.  Reyes really brought it tonight.  Left a few too many pitches up for my taste (something he's prone to do), but overall very impressive work.  It also helped that the Tigers kept swinging at almost every first or second pitch, but you takes 'em as you gets 'em.

Can't wait for Game 2, but even if we lose, we've already stolen one in Detroit, so I'm feeling good ...
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 11:14:53 PM »
Ugh. TRIPLE post.  Too excited, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 11:29:42 PM by Wolverine »

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 11:15:06 PM »
UGH. TRIPLE post.  Too excited, I guess.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 11:30:51 PM by Wolverine »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 11:27:43 PM »
He's so excited he posted 3 times :)

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 11:31:38 PM »
He's so excited he posted 3 times :)
I guess I figure my team only has to win one more game!

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 12:13:08 AM »
Congrats Caleb.  I didn't get to see much of the game.  I have to admit Reyes pitched much much better than I thought he would.  That had to be his best game of the season.  The Tigers really needed this one.  We now have to win 4 of the next 5, so that we don't have to go against Carpenter in Game 7.  That isn't going to be easy.

AA Mil