Author Topic: OT:why did or didn't your FNBA team do as planned?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT:why did or didn't your FNBA team do as planned?
« on: March 12, 2004, 03:08:30 PM »
Inexperience and injuries really killed me last year not to mention picking second to last in the draft.  This year I was able to do better in all but the injury catagory, I really thought I would do better than I have done so far but I've just had injuries at the wrong time and it forced me to give up some quality players to remain competetive.  I've also learned that some of the other competitors have been using some pretty usefull 2nd/2rd party tools that are not obvious or readily available to the fantasy league novice.

I have no problems with any of my draft picks except Dale Davis.  All the guys I picked gave me what I expected and if it wasn't for the large amount of injuries I would not have traded any of them except Davis, Miller and Delk.

What sticks out the most for me this year in the FNBA is what an amazing turn around lttksrookie was able to accomplish.  Too bad he's a fan of the perenial loser, whiner and excuse franchise.

What about y'all?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 04:27:59 PM »
I posted on this topic earlier, when my regular season was effectively over.

My draft was a complete bust.

Here it is in order:

Shawn Marion: Has done fairly well, but not as potent in scoring as he used to be.
Steve Francis: Totally awful down year. Should be 20/6/6, not even close.
Brent Barry: Horrible pick. Don't know what I was thinking.
Nene Hilario: Desperate for and FC, panicked. Could've picked Lamar Odom, Sam Cassell, Andre Miller, Antoine Walker, Ron Artest, Carmelo Anthony . . . can't go on . . . too . . . painful.
Matt Harpring: Solid pick, until he got hurt.
Wally Szczerbiak: Didn't realize the extent of his injuries at the time. Should have known new additions to the Wolves would hurt him.
Alonzo Mourning: I was hoodwinked just like the Nets. Major disappointment.
Scottie Pippen: Wasted pick. Could've had Carlos Boozer, Keith Van Horn, or Corey Maggette here.
Rasho Nesterovic: This was probably my best pick if you consider where I got him. He's not the Admiral, but he's been solid.
Anfernee Hardaway: Whatever.
Derrick Coleman: Stupid fat jerk with a bad knee.
Marcus Banks: Took a risk on a rookie. No real harm done.

I made some good midseason moves here and there, but this league is too active to find a real gem in the waiver wire. My good buddy Basketball Jihad tried his best to save my team when he traded me Maggette for Brent Barry (who immediately got injured). But, alas, even Maggette wasn't enough. So I cashed in my chips for a keeper, and feel like I have a very solid base on which to build for next year. But I'll still lose if I jack up another draft. Time to do my homework this off-season.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 05:58:30 PM »
Actually, I learned more this year although I was pretty disappointed with my draft.  This is the second year that I gotten a bad draft number and so I was pretty disappointed in where I was.  I have moved myself to gain some solid players to build around next year.  I have learned a few more things about fantasy leagues that are so different from how I view the NBA (and the way I would as a GM).  I will look forward to next year and see if I can't make some real improvement.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 06:37:46 PM »
I have moved myself to gain some solid players to build around next year.
Is that what losing is called now a days?
 :lol:
You and Ted are excellent "movers".  :P  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 06:46:55 PM »
WoW, you're right. You definitely had a good draft. In fact, your draft was one of the best. But if you can take some advice from a loser, stick to drafting, because you suck at trading. First you offer me Brent Barry for Maggette, which for the record was highway robbery on my part. And then you "get smart" and start offering everyone crap SonsofNorway trades that everyone rejects within five minutes. BWAAAHAHAHHAAAHAHAHAHA!

Okay, now if he's drunk he's going to react with a really angry, profanity-laced post. If he's sober . . . oh . . . wait . . . it'll probably be the same.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 06:50:12 PM »
A review of my draft (#10 pick out of 12)

1 - Ray Allen  -  Considering that I picked late this was an OK pick.  I didn't actually select him, I couldn't log on, so this was an auto pick.  He was out for about 30 games which hurt me early.
2 - Rasheed Wallace  -  Picked him high, only because every other solid big man was gone, and I wasn't picking again for another 20 picks.  He is really a late second round quality player, but I picked him early second round.  Had some injury problems early.
3 - Gary Payton -  Probably a little early, but he is 3rd/4th round quality.
4 - Micheal Redd  -  Excellent pick this late (#39 overall).  I already had Allen, but you go with talent, and work the rest out later
5 - Ron Artest  -  great pick at #58.  Did lose him for about 3 weeks, plus about 3 or 4 other games.
6 - Jamaal Maglorie  -  This was an OK pick at #63
7 - Eric Snow  -  Big disappointment.  He has done well for me every other time I drafted him, but he has had a very poor year.
8 - LeBron James  -  FANTASTIC pick.  I was accused of buying into the hype, but I got him @#87, and was stunned he lasted that long.
9 - Kerry Kittles  -  Excellent pick.  Derek Bodner thinks he is a dime a dozen SG, but he is a quality player, and I got him @ #106.  Yahoo ranks him #24 for this #27 for the last 2 years.  No matter how you want to rank him he is at least a top 40 player, and I got him at 106.
10 - Kwame Brown  -  A risk at #111, and his numbers indicate now indicate it was a smart pick.
11 - Mike Miller  -  #130, lots of injury problems and hasn't had the year expected, but better than #130.
12 - Marcus Camby  -  Excellent pick at #142.  Yahoo has him ranked at #35 this year, so I got a steal there.

Overall I had a very good draft, one of the best (Hexxed and Drom had the best drafts).

I made a couple of bonehead moves.  I gave up on Camby to quickly.  He started slowly, and I let him go after 3 weeks.  He has been a monster rebounder and shot blocker ever since.  I stuck with Kwame Brown and let Camby go, should have held onto Camby as long as I did Kwame.  If so I would still have Camby.

I traded Jamaal Magloire for Etan Thomas.  At the time Thomas was playing much better and Magloire was struggling.  I had 3 guys (Ilguaskis, Mutumbo, and Magloire) who were center only and had to move one.  Mutumbo got no interest, and Magloire did.  Looking back it was a bonehead.

Releasing James Posey was also a mistake.  I did so because I would have had 3 Griz on my team, and I felt I need big guys more than g/f types.

Picking Snow so high.  I passed on Bibby, Vlade, Jamal Crawford, Boozer, and Maggette.  If I still had Magloire and had picked Boozer I would be the best team no doubt.

I made a number of very smart moves.  I picked up Ilguaskis on waivers, which really solidified my center position.

I swapped Wallace and Kittles for Dirk.  This was a good deal for both BBF and I.  BBF has gone 4-4-1 since, and I improved my front court, while giving up Kittles who I no longer needed when I got Allen back.

I swapped LeBron, Casey Jacobson, and Alvin Williams for Francis, Mashburn and Ricky Davis.  Ted wanted LeBron as his keeper, so I asked for a lot in return, and got a lot better.

I swapped Gary Payton for Chauncey Billups an excellent trade for me.  Billups made me much better in a couple fo key categories, and I didn't lose any categories.

I should make the playoffs, though that isn't a guarantee.  I made the finals last year, and I think I have a good shot to return, but getting out of round one will be my challenge.  I most fear Jihad and Lttks, even considering that I swept Jihad 11-0.  Overall I have done OK this year, though I did better last year.  I made fewer mistakes last year, but I am still in good shape.  Going into next year I will have Dirk and Redd or Allen, so I will be off to another good start.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 07:00:43 PM »
got some talent for next year.  team sucked in general but i had a small push for a while.  no need to go player by player and over scrutinize thier performance this season.  next year will hopefully be better..

<<terror ferret turns to run off crying like a little girl>>
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 01:26:40 PM »
In my second year I learned a lot more about how to build my team.  In the draft I spread out my talent too much.  I tried to have solid players in all categories instead of focusing on having 2 or 3 strong ones.

Therefore I traded what I could to get a team that competes closely every week....winning closely (6-5) and losing by 4-7 or 8-3.  Often it is very close going into the weekend.  I don't get blown out very often.  I have a team that gives up a couple categories (pts, ftm) by default.  In return I am usually very close in all 3 % categories, assts, rebs, stls, blks, 3ptm.  My team is overstocked with sgs which hurts scheduling wise occasionally.

Camby has been unusually dependant in the c position.  And after moving to the east Sheed was classified as a center (as well as sf/pf) also.  Odom can play both forward spots also.  Wade is a pg/sg.  Hedo is a sg/sf and has come on strong in the past month.  The trade I actually regret the most was giving up Dre.  Dirk gave me solid scoring & fts but my other players weren't strong enough in these categories to let me compete.

I don't feel I have any superstar keepers but have several solid role players.  I have a tough decision among Odom, Sheed, Wade, Manu, Hedo & Camby among my keepers.    All are good multi-position players that score solid in several categories.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues