Author Topic: Apparantly Laker Fans will eat tacos  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Apparantly Laker Fans will eat tacos
« on: April 03, 2006, 11:27:48 AM »
It wasn't Dancin Barry, nonetheless the Lakers Staples crowd was worked up yesterday.

"Anyone catch the Lakers vs Rockets game today? It was a complete blowout in the 4th quarter, Lakers up something like 17, and the Lakers fans were still all in their seats, cheering after every Houston miss, shouting DEFENSE!

Apparantly, they started a new promo where every fan at the game would win 2 free tacos if the Lakers held the opponent to below 90. Rockets ended up scoring 88 points. Towards the closing minutes the fans started shouting "We Want Tacos, We Want Tacos"

Even Kobe was cracking up on the bench, as were the players on the floor."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 11:46:29 AM »
After paying outrageous prices for tickets the Laker fans were in desperate need of a free dinner!

Btw, Yao looked very good yesterday but as soon as he takes a breather you can see the effects of T-Mac being in street clothes.  They just have no one else who can get it done.  Alston is NOT that kind of player and JVG is trying to force the issue.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 12:31:34 PM »
If memory serves me correctly this type of thing was the cause of a near brawl down in Dallas.  Wasn't there some pushing and shoving going on because Dallas was blowing someone out but still jacking 3's with the clock expiring to try and reach 100 so the fans got something from Taco Bell?  The losing team did some pushing and jawing in response to being shown up.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 12:41:18 PM »
1.  Jeff Van Gundy conditions his team to be unoffensive.  He compliments them for scoring 88 points.

2.  This is the Lakers jn.  Remember Toronto laying down after Kobe reached 60 on the way to 81.  Cmon now.

No brawl chance at Staples. B)

NBA players should realize who pays their pork.  If something can get the Staples crowd to put down their cellphones, it's great.  Opponents should shut their pieholes and score more then 90 points if they dont like the promotion.  Again, we are talking about the Van Gundy Rockets tho so.....  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 01:13:14 PM »
This has been going on for years.  The only differnce is the sponsor.  It used to be a free Chalupa from Taco Bell.  Back in the 2000-2003 glory days I collected quite a few of those, but never redeemed one.  Now it's Jack in the Crack sponsoring it and you get two free tacos, which are only 0.99 at Yack in the Box anyway.  

People love free stuff ... no matter how insignificant the free item.

Watching the games on national tv is painful.  I miss Chick more than ever, but the the Walton, Terico, Snapper Jones combo makes me long for Joel Meyer and Stu.  And that's saying something!  But what I wouldn't give to hear some of Chicky's comments on Kwame and some of the boys this year ...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 02:54:50 PM »
This has been going on for years.  The only differnce is the sponsor.  It used to be a free Chalupa from Taco Bell.  Back in the 2000-2003 glory days I collected quite a few of those, but never redeemed one.  Now it's Jack in the Crack sponsoring it and you get two free tacos, which are only 0.99 at Yack in the Box anyway.  

People love free stuff ... no matter how insignificant the free item.

Watching the games on national tv is painful.  I miss Chick more than ever, but the the Walton, Terico, Snapper Jones combo makes me long for Joel Meyer and Stu.  And that's saying something!  But what I wouldn't give to hear some of Chicky's comments on Kwame and some of the boys this year ...
Luke Walton is a fan favorite and a player I've enjoyed watching develop since the Lakeshow drafted him but I must say nothing makes me more happy than seeing him take it straight to the rack (something hes been doing very well) only to hear Bill Walton go dead silent.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 03:09:53 PM »
only to hear Bill Walton go dead silent.
ANYTHING that can accomplish making Walton go silent is worth watching.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 03:34:32 PM »
A-MEN, Lurker
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 03:35:22 PM »
Where's HC when you need him.

:D  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 03:58:30 PM »
only to hear Bill Walton go dead silent.
ANYTHING that can accomplish making Walton go silent is worth watching.
*Bill Walton going on for 45 minutes about being a player on the Boston Celtics*

*Luke Walton hits a 3*

*Crickets Chirp*

Bill Walton =  :unsure:

I think everyone would become a Laker fan if Luke Walton was dropping 30 points a game each time ESPN comes to cover the Lakeshow.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 04:00:30 PM by westkoast »