Author Topic: The silence is deafening  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
The silence is deafening
« on: March 10, 2006, 10:56:43 PM »
I guess the Lakers have something to play for after all, huh Rick? Great game by Odom, flirted with a triple double would that could do this night in and night out. Parker had a good shooting night when Kobe let him have the ball. All around good contribution by everyone, good balanced scoring and nice defensive effort.

Manu, what a stud, unstoppable tonight, he singlehandedly kept the Spurs close  :rolleyes: ,not like that stiff Finley at all with his pathetic performance throwing up a miserable 6 of 10. And Oberto, wow, serious quality minutes hmmm?
Dan

Guest_Randy

The silence is deafening
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 11:39:42 AM »
Even at 80% Manu can get off on some teams. 

31 min; 33% fg%; 9-12 ft; 3 rb; 6 ass; 2 to’s; 2 pf  -- I guess he can't get off on some teams, huh?

And did I miss Oberto coming into the game?  Must of blinked!

Phil Jackson

The silence is deafening
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 01:11:19 PM »
"That's the attrition of the schedule in this league," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "Playing back-to-backs like that (on consecutive nights) can throw a team off."

guest-koast

The silence is deafening
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 01:30:10 PM »
"That's the attrition of the schedule in this league," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "Playing back-to-backs like that (on consecutive nights) can throw a team off."
They havent played well on back to backs all season....and that is coming from a true long time Spurs fan right on this very board.   Regardless that is part of the reason why they lost but the Lakers did play well in the 2nd quarter and managed to keep the Spurs at bay the rest of the way.

"Bricks" stat line:

29 minutes

16 points

6-10 from the field

4-5 from downtown

9 rebounds  :cheers:

Guest_Randy

The silence is deafening
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 01:35:36 PM »
Wow, that's about as lame an excuse as you can find, huh?  Are you excusing EVERY team in the league who plays back-to-backs?  

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
The silence is deafening
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 04:33:09 PM »
I totally understand the back to back thing, but it's not like they are the only team to ever have to face that situation, I agree with Randy, it may be a reason, but it should not be an excuse. The Lakers played good solid defense and were killer on the boards, I give them credit for beating the Spurs in their own crib, never an easy thing to do, and I never thought the Spurs looked like they could seriously challenge LA, especially in the 2nd quarter.

It was just flat out a good win for LA and whether they took advantage of tired Spurs team or not, I'll take the win.
Dan

Phil Jackson

The silence is deafening
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 08:01:50 PM »
Wow, that's about as lame an excuse as you can find, huh?  Are you excusing EVERY team in the league who plays back-to-backs?
Are you saying I, Phil Jackson, gave a lame excuse?

Guest_Randy

The silence is deafening
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 10:03:02 PM »
Wow, that's about as lame an excuse as you can find, huh?  Are you excusing EVERY team in the league who plays back-to-backs?
Are you saying I, Phil Jackson, gave a lame excuse?
Please, PJ is the KING of lame excuses (along with many other lame statements) -- what's funny is that you never listen to what PJ says until he finally presents you with an excuse you need!  And you don't even realize how pathetic you are -- oh well, that's "reality."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The silence is deafening
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 10:06:27 PM »
I'm glad you are not bitter.

Continue rejoicing over the magnitude of this reg season win.

guest-koast

The silence is deafening
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 10:37:07 PM »
I'm glad you are not bitter.

Continue rejoicing over the magnitude of this reg season win.
Wait wasnt it just last week you were already calling how bad they were going to get whooped (I believe it was Tuesday)

Now its mean nothing win?!  Granted its not a playoff win but when you are battling for a playoff spot and you get wins where normally you wouldn't its big.  The win put them in the 7th spot actually.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The silence is deafening
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 10:59:20 PM »
I thought the Spurs would win, yes.  Where was it you or anyone else called the Laker win?

Spurs are having a major problem with back to backers.  Still, they are like 16-4 last 20 and currently have a slightly better record the the Lakers.

It is a very good win for the Lakers, who could even eye the 6th seed.

Its a monolithic, overwhelming, staggering win for Randoph and LFanDan.

Guest_Randy

The silence is deafening
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 07:51:27 AM »
:rofl: Pretty funny Reality -- it's okay for you to post after the Spurs beat the Lakers but when the Lakers beat the Spurs
Its a monolithic, overwhelming, staggering win for Randoph and LFanDan.

The ONLY reason Dan and I are enjoying it is because it makes you eat crow -- it's just one game to loyal Spurs fans as well as Laker fans -- but for you?  The Lakers, whom you hate so much, tromping on the Spurs to whom you play the bass drum on the bandwagon?  Pure joy for Dan and I -- probably for a few loyal Spurs fans as well!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
The silence is deafening
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 09:55:48 AM »
"back to backs" is not an excuse for the loss.  I am sure there are several reasons for the way the Spurs played that game.  But there IS a pattern in regards to losing back to back games.  Be it poor conditioning from the Spurs this season, or poor mental toughness this season, or just age catching up with these guys (I don't think any of these SHOULD be a factor at this point in thier careers, but hey there has got to be SOME reason for losing soo many back to backs).  I dont think anybody is down playing the Lakers win.  I just had expected that the Spurs would end up losing this game against the Lakers becuase of the fact that we have been crappy in the back to back situations this season.  The Laker win was not surprising IMO.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 10:08:13 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
The silence is deafening
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 05:00:31 PM »
Good win by the Lakers...that slow reacting Spurs defense helped quite a bit.   :D

The losses on back-to-backs is a common theme in the Spurs losses this year.  8 of their losses have been on the second night of a b2b.  As SpursX3 says it isn't an excuse....just a problem.  This last week was a perfect example.  Beat the Lakers soundly in LA Monday, Tuesday fall flat in the same arena against the Clips, Wednesday rest, beat up on a depleted Suns team on Thursday, travel to SA and play Lakers again.  And what another pitiful energy performance by the Spurs.  Slow rotations on defense.  Half assed cuts and picks on offense.

But then there is one other factor that you Laker fans should relate to....the Spurs are defending champs.  Therefore all the other teams look at the Spurs game as something a little special...to beat the champs.  I know many of you have acknowledge the same when the Lakers were on top.  It demands a higher level of focus & energy in every game.  Part of why they say it is so hard to repeat.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
The silence is deafening
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 06:59:28 PM »
I agree with Lurker, and yet there is also something else these other teams get hyped up for as well when they play the Spurs....

The chance to prove they got what it takes to take on a superhuman marvel like Fabs Oberto.  I think Reality would agree this would be the NUMBER ONE reason for such inspired game play by other teams when SA is on the schedule...

:drunk:  :moon:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.