Author Topic: Spurs - Phx  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs - Phx
« on: March 08, 2006, 02:53:39 AM »
Now that the Spurs are on a roll......er...a...

Well hey it was game 2 of back to backers in tonights loss to Clips.
And they did have to travel from L.A. to ummmn...L.A.
And Duncans eye looked very bad.  (Seriously).
Brand, Sam Casell and Clips looked good.

To be sure Fins 3-10 fgs in no way, shape or form contributed to the loss.

Okay anyways,

SA vs Phx.  
Another statement game of sorts?  Still a ton of time before the playoffs, whoever wins is not auto 2006 NBA champ and whoever loses is not doomed. Esp the Suns with their comfy lead in the Pacific.  They can lose games and are still a virtual lock for #2 seed while Spurs will probably back n forth it with Dallas right up to the final week.

But Phx will be wanting to prove they are for real.  Especially at home.
What is your take?

Guest_Randy

Spurs - Phx
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 09:39:49 AM »
I think rebounding was a bigger factor than Finley's 3 for 10 although it didn't help much.  However, Finley has shot almost 60% in the last 5 games -- if you want to come and dump on him everytime he has a bad game, why don't you do that with Manu as well?  You certainly seem to overlook his 27% fg% over a 5 game period.  

Finley also had 5 rebounds, unfortunately, that was as many as Nazr had and TD only had 7 -- far below his normal double digits.  I think the Clips had like 12 or so rebounds more than the Spurs -- that's a pretty big advantage when your team isn't shooting the ball that well.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs - Phx
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:24:30 AM »
Finley also had 5 rebounds, unfortunately, that was as many as Nazr had and TD only had 7 -- far below his normal double digits.  I think the Clips had like 12 or so rebounds more than the Spurs -- that's a pretty big advantage when your team isn't shooting the ball that well.
Repeat.  Randy as soon as Michael Finley wins two titles in his 1st 3 years, playing a key role in both and being considered Finals MVP by many in Title 2006, let us know.

Should Finley then suffer an injury (that would be obvious to all non Haters) reducing his play temporarily to about 80-85% thus going on a 5-10 game skid, also let me know.  Meanwhile if GNob while 100% healthy goes on a 40 game extended 30% shooting spree, I will be alarmed.  A 40 game skid is quite different then "every time he shoots less then 50%".  It's not Laker math.

Back to the Clips-Spurs and Thursdays Spurs at Phx, yes  Clips outrebounded and outplayed the Spurs.  Spurs also were 3 pt clunkers.  Pops entire Spurs run they have always bounced back so....

After 3 1/2 quarters the Spurs attempted 4 fts, the Clips 21.  
So with a comfy 80-67 lead and 7 minutes to go the Clips started fouling as opposed to letting the clock run?  Thus the final attempt total be not so far off? :rolleyes:  In fairness i did not see enough of the game to know and don't imagine too many boardies did either.  Perhaps it was one of those games where one team did foul a whole lot more then the other.  Pop was asked, he simply said "I can't control that, next question."

Anywho I'll be waiting to see how Tim Dunkars eye really is.  I still expect this game to be a good one.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs - Phx
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 10:26:20 AM »
the Spurs have been horrible this season in back to back situations.  maybe it's thier not as in shape as they usually are.  I think we have only won ONE back to back series this season...thank goodness there are no back to backs in the playoffs...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Randy

Spurs - Phx
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 12:36:38 PM »
Repeat. Randy as soon as Michael Finley wins two titles in his 1st 3 years, playing a key role in both and being considered Finals MVP by many in Title 2006, let us know.

Should Finley then suffer an injury (that would be obvious to all non Haters) reducing his play temporarily to about 80-85% thus going on a 5-10 game skid, also let me know. Meanwhile if GNob while 100% healthy goes on a 40 game extended 30% shooting spree, I will be alarmed. A 40 game skid is quite different then "every time he shoots less then 50%". It's not Laker math.

You know what a hypocritical statement is?  Try your first statement -- hmm, why do you cut Manu so much slack -- you certainly have never done that for Kobe and he has had a MUCH bigger role in THREE championships than Manu has in any of his!  

As far as Manu's injury -- isn't it interesting that it only comes into play from you when he is shooting poorly?  And MOST NBA players play with some kind of an injury -- but if Manu's injury was that bad, why wouldn't Pop sit him?  He has Finley and Barry to play in his place.  In fact, without Manu the Spurs have gone 9 and 4 -- with a hobbled Finley, I might add during several of those games.  9 and 4 is a 70% winning percentage -- not far off the Spurs current winning percentage.  Amazing since Manu is the MVP for the Spurs, huh?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs - Phx
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 01:04:22 PM »
Randy, if you are going to waste bandwidth....

Four Laker season ticket holders (partial holder msc was not one of them), who hadn't seen each other in 30 years, reunited at a party.
After several drinks, one of the men had to use the rest room. Those who
remained talked about their kids.
The first guy said, "My son is my pride and joy. He started working at a
successful company at the bottom of the barrel. He studied Economics and
Business Administration and soon began to climb the corporate ladder and
now he's the president of the company. He became so rich that he gave
his best friend a top of the line Mercedes for his birthday."
The second guy said, "Darn, that's terrific! My son is also my pride and
joy. He started working for a big airline, and then went to flight
school to become a pilot. Eventually he became a partner in the company,
where he owns the majority of its assets. He's so rich that he gave his
best friend a brand new jet for his birthday."
The third man said: "Well, that's terrific! My son studied in the best
universities and became an engineer. Then he started his own
construction company and is now a multimillionaire. He also gave away
something very nice and expensive to his best friend for his birthday: A
30,000 square foot mansion."
The three friends congratulated each other just as the fourth guy returned
from the restroom and asked: "What are all the congratulations for?" One
of the three said: "We were talking about the pride we feel for the
successes of our sons. ...What about your son?"
The fourth man replied: "My son is gay and makes a living dancing as a
stripper at a nightclub."
The three friends said: "What a shame...what a disappointment."
The fourth man replied: "No, it's fine. I don't approve of his choice but he's my son and I love him. And he hasn't done too bad either. His birthday was two weeks ago,
and he received a beautiful 30,000 square foot mansion, a brand new jet
and a top of the line Mercedes from his three boyfriends.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs - Phx
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 10:44:37 AM »
Nash is a gametime decision?

Sprained ankle last game.

AStoudamire I am assuming is not playing tonight.

Guest_Randy

Spurs - Phx
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 12:19:14 PM »
Randy, if you are going to waste bandwidth....

Four Laker season ticket holders (partial holder msc was not one of them), who hadn't seen each other in 30 years, reunited at a party.
After several drinks, one of the men had to use the rest room. Those who
remained talked about their kids.
The first guy said, "My son is my pride and joy. He started working at a
successful company at the bottom of the barrel. He studied Economics and
Business Administration and soon began to climb the corporate ladder and
now he's the president of the company. He became so rich that he gave
his best friend a top of the line Mercedes for his birthday."
The second guy said, "Darn, that's terrific! My son is also my pride and
joy. He started working for a big airline, and then went to flight
school to become a pilot. Eventually he became a partner in the company,
where he owns the majority of its assets. He's so rich that he gave his
best friend a brand new jet for his birthday."
The third man said: "Well, that's terrific! My son studied in the best
universities and became an engineer. Then he started his own
construction company and is now a multimillionaire. He also gave away
something very nice and expensive to his best friend for his birthday: A
30,000 square foot mansion."
The three friends congratulated each other just as the fourth guy returned
from the restroom and asked: "What are all the congratulations for?" One
of the three said: "We were talking about the pride we feel for the
successes of our sons. ...What about your son?"
The fourth man replied: "My son is gay and makes a living dancing as a
stripper at a nightclub."
The three friends said: "What a shame...what a disappointment."
The fourth man replied: "No, it's fine. I don't approve of his choice but he's my son and I love him. And he hasn't done too bad either. His birthday was two weeks ago,
and he received a beautiful 30,000 square foot mansion, a brand new jet
and a top of the line Mercedes from his three boyfriends.
Kind of a broken record -- don't like a post, just whine about using bandwidth (even though you use more bandwidth than anyone on this board -- hmm, what's that called again?).

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs - Phx
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 12:35:14 PM »
 (even though you use more bandwidth than anyone on this board -- hmm, what's that called again?). [/quote]
 Superb use of bandwidth.

Guest_Randy

Spurs - Phx
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 02:38:44 PM »
Quote from: Guest_Randy,Mar 9 2006, 05:19 PM
 (even though you use more bandwidth than anyone on this board -- hmm, what's that called again?).
Superb use of bandwidth. [/quote]
 Do you ever tire of being your own cheerleader?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs - Phx
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 02:46:57 PM »
Never.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs - Phx
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 03:06:44 PM »
Randy,

I'd like to get your take on tonights Phx-SAS game.  I'm not saying we can't veer off onto Manu vs Your Finley, but maybe that could be another thread.

I will say briefly that the stats you have on Fins-in Manu-out are interesting but represnet a micro look at the overall picture.  Check out GNobs stats for 267 Spurs games, but far more importantly compare Fins playoff stats with GNobs 2 rings, both of which he played a major role.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs - Phx
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 08:18:41 AM »
Well last nights game hardly classified as a showdown.  Nash and AStoudamire out.
Phx at San Anotone on March 17th.

Altho Houston and Ming are being unleashed. :eek2:   8 of 10 and Ming getting plenty of touches.  San Antone plays Houston twice this next week.

Guest_Randy

Spurs - Phx
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 09:01:55 AM »
While Manu was a part of the Spurs playoff championship -- stop and answer the following question:

1)  Did opponents come out with a game plan to stop Manu?  No, they have always focused on stopping TD.

2)  Is Manu the defensive stopper for the Spurs?  Nope -- when Pop wanted to shut down Billups in game 7, he didn't put Manu on him -- he put Bowen on him.

3)  Was Manu the only name mentioned?  No, he had some great games -- he also had some games where he just disappeared -- you seem to always overlook that part.  

As for Finley and his championship runs -- put Manu on the Mavs and we'll see how many championship rings he would have -- zip!  Manu has those rings because of several other players -- TD, Bowen, even Horry and Parker.

Guest_Randy

Spurs - Phx
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 09:32:41 AM »
I didn't think much of the Spurs/Suns game last night -- the Suns are a banged up bunch right now and are currently without Amare, Nash, in addition to Barbosa and Kurt Thomas.  I mean the Suns were without a PG, and suddenly Diaw (6'8") is playing center against TD.  Then you add that the Spurs are trying to win the game starting James Jones and Tim Thomas.  

The Spurs and Suns play again in another week -- I'm sure Nash and Barbosa will be back then -- although I don't know about Thomas and Amare (those are doubtful).  However, IF the Suns can ever get healthy, I think they are a lot better team than they were last year and the Spurs will need TD to get healthy.

I DID like what the Suns did to Parker last year -- they forced him to shoot outside and didn't allow him to penetrate as much.  Of course, Parker was hot last night and knocked down the open shots.  Props to Parker but I still like that strategy -- I'd just try and keep him out a little further than he likes to shoot (Parker isn't a very good 3 point shoot) but he is very consistent with the midrange jumper.