Author Topic: AI denied invitation to USA National Team?  (Read 902 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
AI denied invitation to USA National Team?
« on: March 01, 2006, 11:15:10 AM »
I didn't hear/see the story last night but saw it on a sports ticker last night.  It just said 'Allen Iverson not to recieve invitation to join National Team'  Does anyone know more about this?  Like what the reasoning is behind it or why the decision was made so quickly..... IMO thats a load of bs that he not be invited to join the team.  He is one of the best players in the NBA prior to this season and has improved his game even more this year.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 11:24:01 AM »
This is all I could find on it...

From SLC tribune

Chris Webber says he wishes he had been approached about being a part of the USA Basketball senior national team that will be introduced Sunday on national television.
   ''I wanted to play,'' the 76ers forward said.
   Webber will not be one of the 22 NBA players named. Neither will Allen Iverson, who supposedly had impressed team managing director Jerry Colangelo with his interest in competing during their meeting on Jan. 4 in Phoenix.
   But Webber believes those who are selected should have experience in pressure situations, whether it's the NCAA Final Four or the NBA playoffs.
   One of the rumored invitees, Cleveland's LeBron James, never attended college and has yet to make the NBA playoffs. But Denver's Carmelo Anthony led Syracuse to the 2004 NCAA championship in his only season with the Orange.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 11:41:14 AM »
That's because Bruce Bowen took his spot.   :nod:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 11:50:23 AM »
I think it's probably an age factor.  AI will be 33 by the time the games come next time.

Otherwise it's a shame.  AI probably played the best of anyone on the last team.

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 12:47:19 PM »
There is no way USA basketball can justify this.  The real question is why is USA basketball in charge considering their track record.

Collangello didn't make any announcements about why AI wouldn't get an invite.  They made the decision behind closed doors and aren't saying anything.

IMO, AI should say, to hell with USA basketball,  I will call the USOC, ask for permission and funds to field a team, call up my home boys from the league and build a team that will defeat USA basketballs team and therefore go to represent the country in the olympics.

USA basketball would be so embarrassed by this that they'd have to shut down.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 01:18:39 PM »
There is no way USA basketball can justify this.  The real question is why is USA basketball in charge considering their track record.

Collangello didn't make any announcements about why AI wouldn't get an invite.  They made the decision behind closed doors and aren't saying anything.

IMO, AI should say, to hell with USA basketball,  I will call the USOC, ask for permission and funds to field a team, call up my home boys from the league and build a team that will defeat USA basketballs team and therefore go to represent the country in the olympics.

Nothing like a little overreaction, huh Rick?

IMO, AI should say, to hell with USA basketball, I will call the USOC, ask for permission and funds to field a team, call up my home boys from the league and build a team that will defeat USA basketballs team and therefore go to represent the country in the olympics.

Rick, if you think that would happen with the group they are presently assembling to play, you are VERY mistaken!

Personally, I think that AI should have been there but I respect what the committee is striving to do -- 1) they are trying to make sure that they have some of the best at each position; 2) they are trying to make sure that pieces fit together; 3) they are thinking about not overloading it with stars and personalities but making filler for the rest of the positions.

While we may not agree with all the of the pieces, I respect their choices.  

The entire roster includes Carmelo Anthony, Arenas, Battier, Billups, Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Bryant, Dwight Howard, Josh Howard, James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Lewis, Shawn Marion, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Pierce, Redd, Ridnour, Amare Stoudemire and Wade.

In addition, Shaquille O'Neal has a standing invitation to join.

PG - Wade, Arenas, Billups, Paul, Ridnour
SG - Kobe, Redd, Johnson, Pierce (I'd play him here because of how many SF's)
SF - James, Melo, Josh Howard, Battier, Bowen, Lewis, Marion
PF - Bosh, Brand, Dwight Howard, Jamison
C - Stoudamire, BMiller, (Shaq?), perhaps Marion or Lewis at PF so that Bosh can play some center as well

This is a MUCH improved team -- made up of superstars, stars and young talented players.  Personally, I would have preferred they leave Melo at home but it's VERY hard to deny that this team isn't well put together.  You have passers, slashers, shooters, defenders, post players, post defenders -- and I think you have players who are willing to pass the ball as well as work on defense.  

Personally, overall, I like this squad.  I'm not saying some deserving people didn't make it -- and AI would be the top on that list -- but I understand why they left him off, look at his fg% and shooting from the arch and the others are better choices -- however, I think with the talent this team has defensively, AI would fare well in the passing lanes and any fg% would be negated by his ability to steal the ball and work in the open court.  But I still say that overall I LIKE this squad -- glad they finally put some thought into it rather than just choosing players for star status.