Author Topic: Igoudale gets ripped off.  (Read 5192 times)

rickortreat

Igoudale gets ripped off.
« on: February 18, 2006, 10:59:41 PM »
Andre was clearly the better dunker tonight.  It's not a contest if you decide you're going to give it to the little guy. It's not a contest if you give Nate Robinson good numbers after missing his shot 8 times before finally making a different one.

The judges embarrassed themselves and the NBA, the crowd knew that Andre had won it.   :moon:  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 12:10:28 AM »
2nd that, Kenny Smith especially.

Actually the misses are not supposed to have anything to do with the makes.

On Robinsons final make, it was his wooptie doo between the legs prior to the shot.  The dunk was nothing more then a catch and dunk.

I concur 100%, the judging was a joke.
Who was the fudge who scored Ig a 10 then switched the card to a 9.

Ditto on the ALL Time dunk contest.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 12:48:53 AM »
Iggy had the two most creative dunks in the contest. Nate won on two dunks, one jumping over a person (that's been done ad nauseum), and the other that, after his theatrics BEFORE THE THROW was a basic throw off the backboard dunk.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 08:03:21 AM »
Umm, who cares?  It's a toss up -- give it to a little guy with serious hops who jumps over someone (hmm, that's been done before) or to a guy who is simply recreating past dunks (did Iggy do ANYTHING that hasn't been done?).

The Olympics were almost as enjoyable as the slam dunk contest -- oh, ditto on the rest of the festivities last night!  The NBA REALLY needs to rethink all this slam dunk contest, 3 point shooting contest, "skills" contest -- it was almost like nobody but Wade took the skills contest seriously.  

I thought it was a snooze!  

The ONLY reason that I choose Nate over Iggy was because Nate got the crowd more involved -- Iggy seemed to just do his own thing.  As for who won?  I think it's a toss-up.

First, it's a whole lot easier for Iggy to pull something unrehearsed out of his repertoire given the number of inches that he has on Nate.  Second, NEITHER were creative -- rather than watching a couple of guys redoing everything that has been done in the past, why don't we just show clips of guys who did it better?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 09:08:15 AM »
Umm, who cares? It's a toss up -- give it to a little guy with serious hops who jumps over someone (hmm, that's been done before) or to a guy who is simply recreating past dunks (did Iggy do ANYTHING that hasn't been done?).

Nate's 2nd dunk: simple between the legs, done before.
Nate's 3rd dunk: straight alley oop.  Had a "scissors kick" thrown in there.  Done 1 million times.
Nate's 4th dunk: jumped over somebody.  Done ad naseum.
Nate's 5th dunk: take away the threatrics BEFORE HE JUMPED (which, IMO, isn't part of the dunk until the jump.  He made a great throw?  Great, put him in the skills competition)., and there was nothing in the dunk itself.

Iguodala's 2nd dunk was the best, most creative dunk since vince carter.  His 3rd dunk, which was a behind the back windmill in which he kept the ball behind his back the entire time, has never been done.  His 4th dunk, while done before, had a high degree of difficulty.

The ONLY reason that I choose Nate over Iggy was because Nate got the crowd more involved -- Iggy seemed to just do his own thing

Did you see the crowd after his behind the backboard dunk?

Anyway, I disagree, the dunk contest was very good, and I love the 3 pt shooting contest.  Just put in a 30 second rule per dunk so we don't have people trying it 14 times and it will be fine.

rickortreat

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 09:13:53 AM »
(did Iggy do ANYTHING that hasn't been done?).

Who else caught a ball BEHIND the backboard before and dunked it?

As far as I knew that was never done before!

It's one thing for a guy to miss a dunk once and then get it, but Nate got so many tries that it shows that it wasn't skill, you keep throwing the ball up after going between your legs, eventually you'll get a bounce that you can catch and dunk.  That was pathetic.  And it was very bad televison- to reward someone for boring the crap out of everyone with miss after miss after miss.  Not only that, but he did throw it up and get a perfect bounce and then didn't even jump.

Face it, on the street, he would have been laughed off the court for doing something so lame!

Kenny Smith, perfect definition of a nozer.

Franky Nate's dunk over Spud was also pathetic.  If you need to use an old dunk champion to help get the crowd involved, as oppossed to doing it on your on merit, you suck.  But the judges didn't even see through that.  Nor did they take off points for it having been done before.

First, it's a whole lot easier for Iggy to pull something unrehearsed out of his repertoire given the number of inches that he has on Nate. Second, NEITHER were creative -- rather than watching a couple of guys redoing everything that has been done in the past, why don't we just show clips of guys who did it better?

Nate shouldn't have even been in the contest,  he just isn't a good enough dunker.  I thought you only got two misses anyway, guess they had to pull out the retarded rules so he could keep trying.  Iggy did do creative things, the behind the back dunk and the dunk from behing the backboard were totally new.  And, they did show the past dunk contests, so we ciould contrast what had been done.

The only one who did anything to further the art of dunking last night was Iggy. HE GOT ROBBED!  l  :bash:  

Guest_Joe Vancil

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 11:30:26 AM »
I agree - Iguodala was robbed.  

I'm for adding an additional rule:  missing a dunk or flubbing an attempt (due to a bad pass in which you decide not to try it anyway, etc.) results in a reduction in total possible score by 1 point per judge PER FAILED ATTEMPT.

Even Iguodala missed the attempt off the backboard before sinking it.

This is a big part of the reason I DETEST the slam dunk contest.

Personally, had I been Iguodala, I'd have pulled Dr. J - a former Sixer - out of the crowd and jumped over him.  If jumping over a 5-7 guy gets you a 50, what does jumping over a 6-6 guy get you?  Or had Dr. J throw the pass - call it the "69 dunk" (Dr. J wore 6 for Philadelphia, Iguodala wears 9).

That was entirely a joke.

The seven footer wins the 3-point shoot out when the last shot he took in the opening round shouldn't have counted, and the midget wins the slam dunk contest.  WHAT A JOKE.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 11:56:58 AM »
Umm, who cares?  It's a toss up -- give it to a little guy with serious hops who jumps over someone (hmm, that's been done before) or to a guy who is simply recreating past dunks (did Iggy do ANYTHING that hasn't been done?).

The Olympics were almost as enjoyable as the slam dunk contest -- oh, ditto on the rest of the festivities last night!  The NBA REALLY needs to rethink all this slam dunk contest, 3 point shooting contest, "skills" contest -- it was almost like nobody but Wade took the skills contest seriously.  

The ONLY reason that I choose Nate over Iggy was because Nate got the crowd more involved -- Iggy seemed to just do his own thing.  As for who won?  I think it's a toss-up.

First, it's a whole lot easier for Iggy to pull something unrehearsed out of his repertoire given the number of inches that he has on Nate.  Second, NEITHER were creative -- rather than watching a couple of guys redoing everything that has been done in the past, why don't we just show clips of guys who did it better?
 :rofl: It is YOU Randloph. :rofl:

Show us where we EVER have seen a behind the backboard bounce off dunk like Igs.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 04:12:40 PM »
Umm, who cares?  It's a toss up -- give it to a little guy with serious hops who jumps over someone (hmm, that's been done before) or to a guy who is simply recreating past dunks (did Iggy do ANYTHING that hasn't been done?).

The Olympics were almost as enjoyable as the slam dunk contest -- oh, ditto on the rest of the festivities last night!  The NBA REALLY needs to rethink all this slam dunk contest, 3 point shooting contest, "skills" contest -- it was almost like nobody but Wade took the skills contest seriously. 

The ONLY reason that I choose Nate over Iggy was because Nate got the crowd more involved -- Iggy seemed to just do his own thing.  As for who won?  I think it's a toss-up.

First, it's a whole lot easier for Iggy to pull something unrehearsed out of his repertoire given the number of inches that he has on Nate.  Second, NEITHER were creative -- rather than watching a couple of guys redoing everything that has been done in the past, why don't we just show clips of guys who did it better?
:rofl: It is YOU Randloph. :rofl:

Show us where we EVER have seen a behind the backboard bounce off dunk like Igs.
Actually, my point is this -- and I STILL feel this way -- the slam dunk contest is OLD and boring.  The only people who cared were Philly and NY fans and Sportscenter!  

I REALLY wish they would do away with it -- I didn't see anything last night that made me wish they would continue the slam dunk contest!  Same with the 3 point contest, the skills contest and everything else they do.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 04:57:15 PM »
So then don't watch...

What's the big deal?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 06:39:15 PM »
Here is my take on a few things...

The slam dunk contest itself was real fun to watch.  Much better than the last few years IMO.  Also was the most exciting thing they did on Saturday for all-star weekend.

Andre had a pretty damn creative dunk and one that was hard to pull off on top of that.  That dunk should have won him the contest IF he pulled off a few more nice dunks after.  To me it seemed like he coasted through the rest of the challenge after that dunk when he easily could have thrown some more stuff down.  He was the most talented player in the contest and has the best hang time.

Now Nate was not the first person to jump over someone for a dunk in the contest but I do not remember anyone jumping over someone taller than themself.  Spud has a few inches on Nate Robinson.  I don't think that has been done before at least I cannot remember it happening.   I also do not think anyone has jumped, hanged in the air, and cross the ball between their legs TWICE to throw a lob to themselves.  That was cool just took him too many tries.

I thought it was a toss up.  The dunk contest is all about hyping up the fans and the fans were up on little Nate.   Not all of us in Laker land though Nate should of won, I guess Kobe and Andre are buddy buddy cuz he was mad he did not win apparently.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 06:40:19 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 07:07:59 PM »
Now Nate was not the first person to jump over someone for a dunk in the contest but I do not remember anyone jumping over someone taller than themself. Spud has a few inches on Nate Robinson. I don't think that has been done before at least I cannot remember it happening

It's actually easier to have a higher veritical for someone smaller than larger.  A small person HAS to get up higher to dunk, but it is easier for them to get up higher.  So, a small person clearing a 45" vertical is easier than a 6'7" guy clearing a 45 inch vertical.

Last year Josh Smith cleared KMart sitting on a chair.  I'd imagine that's about the same height as spud standing straight up.  And remember, he didn't clear spud, as his feet went to the side, his....um....cajones cleared spud (in fact, his leg kicked spud in the face).

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 08:46:42 PM »
sorry, iggy did not get robbed, I dont think the fact that robinson tried the same thing what like 8, 9, maybe fourteen times has any bearing on the fact that it was more creative then another spin around tomahawk dunk, igs dunk where not Spcetacular for the the most part, IMO.  Hell afgter seeing Robinson JUMP OVER spud web I was not going to take the win away from him.  He showed more creativity in his dunks.  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 10:37:11 PM »
He showed more creativity in his dunks.

That's what I don't get.  What creativity?

His 2nd dunk was between the legs.  Been done.  One of the exact same dunks iggy is being criticized for not being original (except iggy came from the side with his weak hand, which is considerably harder than coming from straight forward with your strong hand) .  His 3rd was literally a straight alley oop.  I've seen Iggy get more creative in live games, much less an exhibition dunk contest.  His 4th dunk was jumping over someone, which, again, isn't new.  And his last dunk was, after taking away the pre-jump theatrics, was a half windmill off the backboard.

What exactly was new about nate's dunks?  I saw very little originality up until the throw in the dunk-off.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 11:44:18 PM »
He showed more creativity in his dunks.

That's what I don't get.  What creativity?

His 2nd dunk was between the legs.  Been done.  One of the exact same dunks iggy is being criticized for not being original (except iggy came from the side with his weak hand, which is considerably harder than coming from straight forward with your strong hand) .  His 3rd was literally a straight alley oop.  I've seen Iggy get more creative in live games, much less an exhibition dunk contest.  His 4th dunk was jumping over someone, which, again, isn't new.  And his last dunk was, after taking away the pre-jump theatrics, was a half windmill off the backboard.

What exactly was new about nate's dunks?  I saw very little originality up until the throw in the dunk-off.
You just said that its harder for smaller guys to dunk.  Shouldn't Nate be given extra points for his ability to hang in the air?!  That 360 dunk has been done before by a number of guys but not quite as sweet comming from someone as small as he is.  IMO that is a much more difficult dunk at that height.   Okay so its easier for smaller guys to jump high...that still doesn't mean hes not covering alot of ground going up to just be able to throw down any dunk.  Let alone 360s and double between the legs alley oops.

As for the Spud Webb jump, that was more like Nate one upping the mini-dunker by dunking over him.  I took it more as him saying Spud was good but I am the new small guy who hammers it down.  

Ig showed no creativity in his other 3-4 dunks after that first one either.  All the dunks he did we had seen before.   I thought he could have tried a little bit of harder instead of thinking one dunk was going to win it all with the crowd/fans.   Was I the only person watching the contest jumping up and down on all the close misses Nate had with that half court under the legs lob?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 11:47:36 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com