Author Topic: TNT to pick Next 10 of the greatest players  (Read 4642 times)

guest-koast

TNT to pick Next 10 of the greatest players
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:39:54 AM »
During All-Star weekend TNT is going to pick who they think should be the next 10 players to join the list of the Top 50 (in this case it will be top 60) players in NBA History.

Here are the 20 finalists: Walt Bellamy, Kobe Bryant, Adrian Dantley, Joe Dumars, Tim Duncan, Alex English, Kevin Garnett, Connie Hawkins, Allen Iverson, LeBron James, Dennis Johnson, Jason Kidd, Bernard King, Bob Lanier, Bob McAdoo, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Gary Payton, Dennis Rodman and Dominique Wilkins.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?  Yes or no to anyone on the list and who would you replace that person with?

Below is the picks from Bob Matthews a sports writer for the Times-Union

Bryant — Probably one of the five most-gifted players in NBA history and a three-time champion.

Duncan — Two-time league MVP and eight-time All-NBA first team; three-time champion.

Garnett — Rare combination of size and skills.

Iverson — Four-time scoring champion; terrific competitor.

James — No stretch to include him in only his third NBA season.

Kidd — Five-time All-NBA first team; one of the all-time finest passers.

Lanier — Underrated big man; averaged 20.1 points for 14 seasons.

McAdoo — Two-time scoring champion; averaged 22.l points for 14 seasons.

Miller — No. 12 on the all-time scoring list; great 3-point shooter.

Wilkins — "The Human Highlight Film"; averaged 24.8 points for 15 seasons

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 12:05:10 PM »
Duncan & Garnett in for sure.

Reggie Miller out for sure.

It may be too early to include Lebron and Ginobili but then again...

rest later.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 12:33:13 PM by Reality »

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 12:47:22 PM »
During All-Star weekend TNT is going to pick who they think should be the next 10 players to join the list of the Top 50 (in this case it will be top 60) players in NBA History.

Here are the 20 finalists: Walt Bellamy, Kobe Bryant, Adrian Dantley, Joe Dumars, Tim Duncan, Alex English, Kevin Garnett, Connie Hawkins, Allen Iverson, LeBron James, Dennis Johnson, Jason Kidd, Bernard King, Bob Lanier, Bob McAdoo, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Gary Payton, Dennis Rodman and Dominique Wilkins.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?  Yes or no to anyone on the list and who would you replace that person with?

Below is the picks from Bob Matthews a sports writer for the Times-Union

Bryant — Probably one of the five most-gifted players in NBA history and a three-time champion.

Duncan — Two-time league MVP and eight-time All-NBA first team; three-time champion.

Iverson — Four-time scoring champion; terrific competitor.

James — No stretch to include him in only his third NBA season.

Kidd — Five-time All-NBA first team; one of the all-time finest passers.

Miller — No. 12 on the all-time scoring list; great 3-point shooter.

Wilkins — "The Human Highlight Film"; averaged 24.8 points for 15 seasons
I'd include

Kobe Bryant
Adrian Dantley
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Connie Hawkins
Allen Iverson
Bob Lanier
Bob McAdoo
Gary Payton
Dominique Wilkins

It's too early for LeBron, IMO. If Nash wins another MVP, you have to start looking at him, too.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 01:14:45 PM »
If LeBron and Manu get in there, it's a travesty.  I don't care how great he is, a player who's in his 3rd year and yet to win a playoff series is NOT one of the top 60 to ever play the game.  Will he be?  Absolutely.  Not now.

Of current players, KG, TD, Kobe and AI are virtual locks, IMO.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 01:29:23 PM »
A.I. gets my nod.  If he played with players that could catch and finish vs the Butterfingers he has had, his assist #s go up 1/3rd.  He could ave 10 a game while scoring 30.

Kobe if he keeps up this 40+ shooting percentage i can give him the nod.

rickortreat

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 01:30:27 PM »
Reggie Miller definitely deserves to be in.

So does A.I., Kobe and TD.

Garnett?  Hasn't even gotten to a finals yet, great player, but not accomplished enough.

Lebron, Wade, potential yes, but they haven't done enough yet to justify that.

Dominique?  Absoulutly should be in.

Kidd?  No.  

Lanier?  Yes.

McAdoo?  Yes.

We're talking about the 60 best to ever play the game.  This is the elite of the elite.  Bernard King was great, but not for long enough.  Same with Kidd, IMO. Hawkins was the first of the high flyers, and great to watch, but not in the top 60.

AI has done enough to be worthy, but I would rather he had a Championship ring.  Reggie gets a pass since every time he had a decent team he had to face MJ and the Bulls.  He did get to the finals though.  So did AI.

Payton?  NO!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 01:35:33 PM »
Garnett? Hasn't even gotten to a finals yet, great player, but not accomplished enough.

Dominique? Absoulutly should be in.

Dominique played 16 seasons.  I don't believe he ever made it to the finals, did he?

guest-koast

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 01:38:35 PM »
If I had to chose between Wilkens and KG I think that KG is more deserving.  His all around game is simply better than Wilkens was.  He also was on his way to the finals but ran into a more stacked/better coached Laker team.

I don't remember ATL ever getting that far but I am probably wrong.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 02:19:47 PM »
I don't care how great he is, a player who's in his 3rd year and yet to win a playoff series is NOT one of the top 60 to ever play the game.  Will he be?  Absolutely.  Not now.

This is what I said about Shaq who was in his 4th year and hadn't won a title yet.  But he still was voted top 50.  So I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron made it.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

rickortreat

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 02:30:01 PM »
KG is a center forward.  Dominique was a small forward with amazeing legs and a great outside shot.

The only valid comparison is based on team strength.  Dominique was never surrounded with great talent, and KG's support has only been marginally better.

But Dominique could do things with the basketball and rim that no one else could.  Doc had some fantastic moves, and so did MJ, but only Dominique could touch the top of the backboard.

Some of his dunks alone are worth a spot in the top 60.  He wasnt' called the human highlight film for nothing, and his pts per game average of 24pts for 15 seasons is the right stuff for a slot: played for years and put in a huge number of points.

KG rebounds, blocks shots, scores and passes.  A very talented big man, but lets see him do it for 15 seasons.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 02:36:09 PM »
First off I eliminated 5 players that IMO shouldn't be on that list: Dumars, Johnson, King, Rodman, Payton.

Then there are the no brainers:  Duncan, Kobe, Miller, Hawkins, Iverson

In comparing the others I found the following somewhat amusing.  What this guy says about KG is what was said about Lanier & McAdoo.  I wouldn't include Garnett until he produces 14-15 seasons of consistent numbers.

Wilkins was too one dimensional,  Nash needs to produce more.  As does James.

So I eliminated 9 of the 20 and give 5 a pass.  Who remains is McAdoo, Dantley, English, Bellamy, Kidd & Lanier.  And I would probably exclude McAdoo.

So my list: Duncan, Kobe, Miller, Hawkins, Iverson, Dantley, English, Bellamy, Kidd & Lanier.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »
KG rebounds, blocks shots, scores and passes.  A very talented big man, but lets see him do it for 15 seasons.
he's already done it for 10 1/2 seasons.
Averages snapping down 11 boards and handing out 4.5 assists (leads team every year) on crappy Twolves teams.  To go with 20 ppg.

Garnett is already there.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 03:08:23 PM »
What is the deal with Artis Gilmore?  This guy should DEFINITELY be included SOMEWHERE, yet people tend to overlook him time and time and time again.

LeBron has no business being on this list.  If he were to blow an Achilles tomorrow, he'd end his career having never been to the NBA playoffs.  And that would qualify as one of the 60 greatest ever?

In addition to Duncan and Bryant, I'd include Garnett, Iverson, Payton, Kidd, and Miller.  I'd also include Bob McAdoo, Connie Hawkins, and either Dominique Wilkins or Bob Lanier.

That means I've marked off the following:
Dennis Rodman, Walt Bellamy (who I never saw), Adrian Dantley, Joe Dumars, Alex English, Dennis Johnson, Bernard King, Steve Nash and LeBron James for sure, and either Dominique or Bob Lanier.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

guest-koast

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 03:57:37 PM »
KG rebounds, blocks shots, scores and passes.  A very talented big man, but lets see him do it for 15 seasons.
he's already done it for 10 1/2 seasons.
Averages snapping down 11 boards and handing out 4.5 assists (leads team every year) on crappy Twolves teams.  To go with 20 ppg.

Garnett is already there.
We went over this already.  A number of his teams have been far from 'crappy'.  Not saying he had top talent either but he did have Tom Googs, Terrell Brandon, Spreewell, Cassell, and Marbury as teammates one point in time.

I agree its probably too early for Lebron to be put in the top 60 players to ever touch the hardwood.  Maybe in a few years.  I think some of them at TNT  are worried about not including him because of the caliber of player he is going to become.

As for Jason Kidd...not since Magic Johnson has one player made so many of his teammates 3 notches better with his passing.   Nash has always had more talent around him than Kidd.  I'd take Dirk and Amare over anyone that Kidd has had since he came into the league.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 04:35:35 PM »
As for Jason Kidd...not since Magic Johnson has one player made so many of his teammates 3 notches better with his passing.   Nash has always had more talent around him than Kidd.  I'd take Dirk and Amare over anyone that Kidd has had since he came into the league.
Just had to respond. John Stockton was responsible for guys like Shandon Anderson, Bryon Russell, Howard Eisley, Thurl Bailey, Antoine Carr, Mark Eaton and many more who overperformed while with the Jazz.

In fact, you might say that John Stockton is responsible for the downfall of the New York Knicks. John made every Scott Layden trade look so good, people thought the guy was a genius.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton