Author Topic: Damon does drug test, and the union isn't happy  (Read 1548 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Damon does drug test, and the union isn't happy
« on: March 08, 2004, 08:59:07 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1753682

Local columnist challenged Damon to take a drug test at random at some point during the season.  Damon agreed to do so before season began, and on Thursday columnist asked for it and Damon agreed and passed.  Union isn't happy.  I think they may try and hammer Cheeks and the Blazers because Cheeks was there, though I think Cheeks was doing so to protect Damon, and make sure the test was administered correctly.  Interesting that the columnist chose to do it right after Bonzi and Rasheed showed up and hung out with Damon.  Kudo's to Damon for passing, and having the guts to take the test.  As far as the columnist he did well to credit Damon, but this was a grandstand move by him.  He is a real piece of work.  I personally do not like him, and this was a big ego stroker for him.  He gets to be the big shot no matter the results, and this guy is a totally self absorbed jerk.  
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 10:01:27 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1753682

Local columnist challenged Damon to take a drug test at random at some point during the season.  Damon agreed to do so before season began, and on Thursday columnist asked for it and Damon agreed and passed.  Union isn't happy.  I think they may try and hammer Cheeks and the Blazers because Cheeks was there, though I think Cheeks was doing so to protect Damon, and make sure the test was administered correctly.  Interesting that the columnist chose to do it right after Bonzi and Rasheed showed up and hung out with Damon.  Kudo's to Damon for passing, and having the guts to take the test.  As far as the columnist he did well to credit Damon, but this was a grandstand move by him.  He is a real piece of work.  I personally do not like him, and this was a big ego stroker for him.  He gets to be the big shot no matter the results, and this guy is a totally self absorbed jerk.
The union doesn't want to go down this road (see baseball's union as well) because they know too many of their players are dirty.  

It's hard to feel sorry for Damon though -- I laughed (until I realize what an injustice it was) when I read that they judge was throwing out the search for Damon because there was no search warrant.  Umm, DUH, what planet is this judge living on -- you take ANY metal with you through a metal detector and they are sure enough going to find out why you are wrapping something in tin foil.  So a person carrying a knife, gun, plastique, etc., also has to be served a search warrant in order to properly detain, question and charge him?  This is ridiculous!  I can see police officers in the future being shot at and having to go obtain a search warrant in order to try and detain the assualtant.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 02:27:58 AM »
:scratches head:

Wait....so a player......who is part of the trailblazers...is.....being... busted for testing negative for drugs?

I thought this was a thread talking about a contract extension with a sober signing bonus because of the good news.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 02:28:20 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com