Author Topic: Slam Dunk contest  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Slam Dunk contest
« on: February 01, 2006, 08:01:42 AM »
Contestants are set.

Josh Smith
Ig
Nate Robinson 5'9"
Hakim Warrick Grizzlies

Whats with Lebrons James comments?  Look if he doesn't want to participate, fine.  Whats with the backhanded disses:

"I'm not a slam-dunk-competition-type of guy," said the Cavaliers forward, who won the only dunk contest he ever entered as a high school senior. "On the spur of the moment, I can do dunks during the game. I can't think of a dunk before I do it. I'll leave it up to the guys who don't play as many minutes as I do. Those guys can go out there and throw the ball between their legs and stuff."

He doubts that he'll ever enter.

"I don't think so," said James, who plans to participate in the All-Star weekend's skills challenge. "I got the first two years out of the way and that's when you usually do it. I don't want to be defined as being in the slam dunk contest, it's just not me."

Type of guy?  Kind of like MJ, Doc J, Shawn Kemp prime, Nash n Novitski last year, on and on.  Yeah wouldn't want to be in that typecast. :rolleyes:

He cannot "throw the ball between his legs and stuff" because he plays more minutes?  He better "leave that up to the guys who don't play as many minutes as I do".  What a copout.  Look if you don't want the extra wear and tear and injury risk, just say so.  

rickortreat

Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 10:30:45 AM »
I agree, that was a punk comment.

Igoudala plays as many minutes anyway.

The real truth is LeBron isn't as good a dunker, but his ego wouldn't allow him to admit that, so instead he dissed the players who are willing to put it on the line.

It amazes me how ignorant these players are that they have to take cheap shots at others for no reason whatsoever.   :huh:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 10:56:50 AM »
I agree, that was a punk comment.

Igoudala plays as many minutes anyway.

The real truth is LeBron isn't as good a dunker, but his ego wouldn't allow him to admit that, so instead he dissed the players who are willing to put it on the line.

It amazes me how ignorant these players are that they have to take cheap shots at others for no reason whatsoever.   :huh:
:huh:

Andre isn't expected to have big games in order for his team to win.  You are comparing apples and oranges here.  How is Lebron taking cheap shots?  Because he doesn't want to expend too much energy?  The Cavs starting off on a good foot in the second half of the season is more important than all-star weekend at this point for him.  Sounds like a good idea to me.

I don't want to see Lebron in the slam dunk contest, I want to see Nate Robinson in the slam dunk contest.  He has hops like no other.  Not since Spud Webb have I seen such a small player get off the ground so fast and so high.  It is nice to see new talent and really have guys compete instead of having Lebron there who is going to get high votes regardless.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 10:58:48 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 03:06:18 PM »
Reading comprehension 101:

I'll leave it up to the guys who don't play as many minutes as I do. Those guys can go out there and throw the ball between their legs and stuff."

Can you explain the point of the above sentence Westcoast?  Why did he even say it at all?  Why did he need an excuse not to be in the contest and why did he have to insult the other contestants, suggesting that they're not real players because they don't play the minutes he does?

As others pointed out, Dr. J entered the contest and so did MJ, Dominique and a few other stars.  LeBron could have joined that classy talented crowd and provided a few memories for the fans.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I still have the images in my heads of some of past contests.  I especially remember a windmill dunk by Larry Nantz where it appeared his shoulders were level with the rim, and I still remember when Spud Webb won it and I saw it live.

The contest can be boring, especially since a lot of players have entered who have no business being in the contest and try dunks they could never make without extensive practice.  

But Lebron is not a great dunker, there's no style or flair to his dunks.  The real truth is he wouldn't be good enough to win anyway, and that's why he didn't enter.  His excuse was classless and says volumes about his personality.

He could have said, "I'm not quite as fancy with my dunks as these other guys, and I didn't want to take away from their skills by showing up.  Or, "I'll leave it to the other players to put on a good contest, I have some work to do if I want to win that.  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 03:24:21 PM »
Type of guy? Kind of like MJ, Doc J, Shawn Kemp prime, Nash n Novitski last year, on and on. Yeah wouldn't want to be in that typecast.

Terrence Stansbury, J.R. Rider, Chris Andersen, Kenny "Sky" Walker...yeah...why wouldn't LeBron want to be in that typecast.

GOOD FOR LEBRON in demeaning the dunk contest.  This is the most hokey part of the entire All-Star weekend - including all the stuff with the women players.  It's out there for young wannabe athletic talents to give them a chance to show off.

The slam dunk contest ended the day Spud Webb won the the thing.  Everyone should have realized it was far beyond over with Andersen's display last year.  See-through blindfolds and the like make the Slam Dunk contest into basketball's version of pro wrestling.

You want to have a real "slam dunk" contest?  Just declare all the participants of the All-Star game in it.  Every dunk that happens during game play at the All-Star game gets graded.  Highest grade wins the contest.  Put a huge money prize on it.  You'll see people going for dunks against REAL DEFENSE.  Watch LeBron James go up and try to block that dunk from McGrady because he wants the prize money.  And if McGrady dunks it ON James, that makes it even MORE impressive - right?

Good for LeBron.  Down with the dunk contest.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 03:44:56 PM »
Joe doesn't like the slam dunk contest because he doesn't have any hops!  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 03:49:52 PM »
I won't enjoy the slam dunk contest until I see someone twist both ankles on one play at it.

The Slam Dunk contest:  NBA Basketball meets American Bandstand.

**YAWN**.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 03:52:31 PM »
You know what I miss most about the slam dunk contest?  When players pumped up the air in their shoes 10X before going for the dunk!  That was like  :rolleyes:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 04:15:52 PM »
Reading comprehension 101:

I'll leave it up to the guys who don't play as many minutes as I do. Those guys can go out there and throw the ball between their legs and stuff."

Can you explain the point of the above sentence Westcoast?  Why did he even say it at all?  Why did he need an excuse not to be in the contest and why did he have to insult the other contestants, suggesting that they're not real players because they don't play the minutes he does?

As others pointed out, Dr. J entered the contest and so did MJ, Dominique and a few other stars.  LeBron could have joined that classy talented crowd and provided a few memories for the fans.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I still have the images in my heads of some of past contests.  I especially remember a windmill dunk by Larry Nantz where it appeared his shoulders were level with the rim, and I still remember when Spud Webb won it and I saw it live.

The contest can be boring, especially since a lot of players have entered who have no business being in the contest and try dunks they could never make without extensive practice.  

But Lebron is not a great dunker, there's no style or flair to his dunks.  The real truth is he wouldn't be good enough to win anyway, and that's why he didn't enter.  His excuse was classless and says volumes about his personality.

He could have said, "I'm not quite as fancy with my dunks as these other guys, and I didn't want to take away from their skills by showing up.  Or, "I'll leave it to the other players to put on a good contest, I have some work to do if I want to win that.
Can you explain to me what reading comprension 101 has to do with anything?  I understood perfectly what he was saying.  Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't understand.  It means I don't agree with you.  Just because someone doesn't take a quote from a certain person the same way as you does not make your reading skills are far superior.

Can you explain the point of the above sentence Westcoast? Why did he even say it at all? Why did he need an excuse not to be in the contest and why did he have to insult the other contestants, suggesting that they're not real players because they don't play the minutes he does?

He wasn't suggesting they are not real players, your putting words into his mouth.  He also wasn't insulting other contestants.  Saying he plays too many minutes to burn himself out over All-Star Weekend makes perfect sense.  Like I said, none of the guys in the contest are expected to have to produce 30 10 and 5 to get their team to win.  Lebron is.  Right now his team is right there for a playoff apperance and he needs to make sure that they start the second half of the season on a winning note.  Would you rather he expend all his energy so the 3 games they have after the all star break could potentially be L's????

Honestly if Andre wasn't in the dunk contest I don't think you would have such a problem with this.  He is not insulting anyone and you have to look at the source its coming from.... Lebron James is one of the most humble guys in the NBA.  I find it hard to believe Lebron all the sudden has turned into an arrogant ego maniac overnight simply because he stated he plays too many minutes to take part in a dunk contest.  The better question is why does Lebron need to answer questions in a way you personally see fit?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 04:19:40 PM by westkoast »

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 04:16:54 PM »
Wow Joe, what a bunch of sour apples.  

Down with the dunk contest, YEAH RIGHT.  I like the dunk contest and the 3-point shootout BETTER THAN THE FREAKIN ALL-STAR GAME.  Yeah the same no-defense, hot-dogging, turnover-ridden, traveling infested, don't care if we win or lose, all-star game.  

At least with the dunk contest I can see something I've never seen before in my life.  

Kobe wave away K. Malone to dribble between his legs and double-pump a fall away jumper....*YAWN*....Kobe did that pretty much every game when Karl joined the Lakers.  

J.R. Rider's East Bay Funk where he went from the baseline corner, hopped into the sky, between the legs one-handed jam, now there's something I've never seen before.  Hopping from the free throw line, HELL YEAH.  

5'7 Spud Webb high bounces into a reverse, ARE YOU KIDDIN' ME.  The guy was 2 FREAKIN INCHES SHORTER THAN YOU, Nate Robinson is you're height.  You sprained BOTH your ankles when you tried to dunk on a  SHORTENED rim.  How about a show of respect for incredible athletic prowess.  You know what the rest of the world does every 4 years.

I agree with Rick, Lebron James should've just admitted that he doesn't have the creativity to be in the dunk contest and given props to those guys that do.  Not try to demean the contest and the participants to shadow his own weakness and insecurity.  For that comment; DOWN WITH LEBRON JAMES!!      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 04:25:55 PM »

I agree with Rick, Lebron James should've just admitted that he doesn't have the creativity to be in the dunk contest and given props to those guys that do.  Not try to demean the contest and the participants to shadow his own weakness and insecurity.  For that comment; DOWN WITH LEBRON JAMES!!
YEAH!!#$@)$#@*#$

:rolleyes:

I am somewhat with Joe on this one.  The Dunk contest is whatever.  Only reason I am intrested this year is because Nate Robinson can get off the ground like no other.  Aside from that in the past 5-6 years only the Jason Richardson dunk had me really excited.  The contest is for the kids IMO.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 04:27:11 PM by westkoast »

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 04:36:45 PM »
Only reason I am intrested this year is because Nate Robinson can get off the ground like no other. Aside from that in the past 5-6 years only the Jason Richardson dunk had me really excited.

Well...not quite like no other...Spud Webb did win the thing and he was 2 inches shorter.  Also the Hornets players who practiced with 5'3 Muggsy Bogues said that he actually dunked once in a practice.  I can't even comprehend that.  

J-Rich's was the only one, huh.  You didn't like the Vince Carter dunk?

Speaking of VC and nasty dunks, did anyone ever see what he did to that 7 foot Russian dude in an International exhibition.  Sickening!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 04:54:01 PM »
Only reason I am intrested this year is because Nate Robinson can get off the ground like no other. Aside from that in the past 5-6 years only the Jason Richardson dunk had me really excited.

Well...not quite like no other...Spud Webb did win the thing and he was 2 inches shorter.  Also the Hornets players who practiced with 5'3 Muggsy Bogues said that he actually dunked once in a practice.  I can't even comprehend that.  

J-Rich's was the only one, huh.  You didn't like the Vince Carter dunk?

Speaking of VC and nasty dunks, did anyone ever see what he did to that 7 foot Russian dude in an International exhibition.  Sickening!
Wasn't the Vince dunk in like 98??  I could have sworn it was in 98 or 99.  In the past 5-6 years really nothing has got me real pumped except J-Rich.  That year they had the players spin a wheel to re-do dunks previous legends had done in the dunk contest was by far the most boring one I have ever seen.

I use to have the video of Vince jumping over that international player with KG in the backround making the  :eek2:  face.  Ill see if I can find it once I get back to Mi Casa
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 04:54:17 PM by westkoast »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Slam Dunk contest
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 05:08:42 PM »
Down with the dunk contest, YEAH RIGHT. I like the dunk contest and the 3-point shootout BETTER THAN THE FREAKIN ALL-STAR GAME. Yeah the same no-defense, hot-dogging, turnover-ridden, traveling infested, don't care if we win or lose, all-star game.

Thank you.  All-star game is boring.  3 pt shootout is my favorite.  Dunk contest is at least entertaining and not under the facade of a game.

Spud:

And I also agree about LeBron not being a creative Dunker.  Powerful?  Yes.  Impressive?  Yes.  Creative?  Nope.

He'd get killed in this competition.  That's why he doesn't enter.

And I also agree this his comment was out of line.  Andre plays 38 minutes/game chasing around the opponents best offensive player.  He's not exactly riding the pine.

Had it just been "I want to relax", he would have said so.  He clearly (to me) said "I'm not going because of my stature as an elite player in this league".
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 05:09:52 PM by dbodner »