Author Topic: Its Time for everyone's Dirk Nowitzki Update  (Read 6891 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Its Time for everyone's Dirk Nowitzki Update
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 05:20:17 PM »
Barkley mayhave been better in '93, but Kemp was not far behind and took over in 1994 undisputably.

Sonics were better in 93 tho. All time rip off of Laker stature playoff Game 7 Sonics vs Phx.

66 FTAs to 22 for Phx.

I talked to Sonics Michael Cage in person. "Everyone knew what was up, Phx players, refs, NBA, everyone."

That is the year CBS ran promos for the Finals before they semis were over. Showing Chuck vs MJ. 

Preach that Gospel, Reality

I'll tell ya, this thread has brought tears to this poor jaded soul.  Lurker using reason, evidence; JoMaL interjecting with his witticisms to keep things light, and now Reality commenting on one of the worst tragedies of basketball.  

Not that many of you might care but it was this exact series that the Seattle Supersonics became my undisputed favorite team and Shawn Kemp became my favorite player.  Over a career's length I'd say that Charles Barkley was better than Kemp and looking at pure totals (w/o looking at per 40 minute stats) Barkley at this time looks better than Kemp but there was no doubt the head to head went to Kemp in the mid-90s.  Hey Reality remember the lockdown Derrick McKey had on Dumas and Majerle.  Awesome.  At the time I was unsure about the McKey-Schrempf deal but it turned out pretty good for my Sonics.      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2006, 05:29:38 PM »
At the time I was unsure about the McKey-Schrempf deal but it turned out pretty good for my Sonics.
I can't believe people were comparring McKey to Wilt Chamberlin.  I kept on eye on McKey for a long time before I came to the realization of the term "mediot".

McKey and Sam Perkins had similar personalities.  Perkins?  What memories, from Laker villan to fan favorite, what a fickle bunch we are!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2006, 05:31:36 PM »
Skandery last time you tried to point out us falling for stereotypes you posted pictures of Dirk getting beat by an offensive player

You know westkoast, just because Joe Vancil wrote his opinion about his interpretation of how Dirk may or may not have been beaten thanks to three stills I posted, you now have chiseled it in marble that "Skandery posted pictures of Dirk getting beat to prove he was a good defender".  COME ON westkoast.  Yeah Joe is a respected, knowledgeable observer of the game but since when has his opinion become the Lord's gospel on pictures of games I highly doubt he even watched.  

And on top of all that, the pictures I posted weren't even the crux of my argument in that thread, westkoast.  You said that Dirk didn't patrol the lane and I posted pictures of Dirk doing just that, patroling the lane.  And I don't give a monkey's left testacle whether he was late in patroling the lane or slightly out of position while patroling the lane or that his sideburns were uneven has he met someone coming into the lane.  :crazy:      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2006, 05:36:15 PM »
Skander you wrote that "The guy does good, NOT GREAT, but good", whereas you previously had stated regarding his defense "the above-average category I place Dirk in". Are we to assume you place someone who "does good, NOT GREAT, but good" in the above average category?

Are your standards really that low regarding defense, or are you simply unable to keep up with your own schizophrenic reasoning, hence the 2 conflicting assertions?
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2006, 05:44:06 PM »
Skander you wrote that "The guy does good, NOT GREAT, but good", whereas you previously had stated regarding his defense "the above-average category I place Dirk in". Are we to assume you place someone who "does good, NOT GREAT, but good" in the above average category?

Are your standards really that low regarding defense, or are you simply unable to keep up with your own schizophrenic reasoning, hence the 2 conflicting assertions?
Skandypants is just not used to the style of debate on this board.

If Dirk was half as good as Skandelous thought, wouldn't Bill Russel, Jalen Rose and every Pistons Nozer be all over him?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2006, 05:44:54 PM »
Skandery last time you tried to point out us falling for stereotypes you posted pictures of Dirk getting beat by an offensive player

You know westkoast, just because Joe Vancil wrote his opinion about his interpretation of how Dirk may or may not have been beaten thanks to three stills I posted, you now have chiseled it in marble that "Skandery posted pictures of Dirk getting beat to prove he was a good defender".  COME ON westkoast.  Yeah Joe is a respected, knowledgeable observer of the game but since when has his opinion become the Lord's gospel on pictures of games I highly doubt he even watched.  

And on top of all that, the pictures I posted weren't even the crux of my argument in that thread, westkoast.  You said that Dirk didn't patrol the lane and I posted pictures of Dirk doing just that, patroling the lane.  And I don't give a monkey's left testacle whether he was late in patroling the lane or slightly out of position while patroling the lane or that his sideburns were uneven has he met someone coming into the lane.  :crazy:
Maybe Joe didn't watch the games but I did watch a two of the games from the three pictures you posted.

When I say 'patrolling the lane' I mean actually intimidating shooters, grabbing defensive rebounds like a bum collecting quarters rolling on the ground, and spiking balls as the weak side defender......all of which Dirk does not do night in and night out.  You know things KG, Tim Duncan, Shaq, Ben Wallace, Elton Brand, and others do on a regular basis?  I don't consider patrolling the lane as just having a foot in the paint when the offensive player is at the rim :lol:

If I am falling for the stereotype that he is a poor defender then where are the examples of him being a good defender?  The guy is arguably the fastest 7 footer to player the game and he averages 8.5 rebounds for his career?!?!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 05:46:57 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2006, 05:55:12 PM »

I guess I shouldn't use different enlish vocabulary words to express myself while posting.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  You see in my schizophrenic ( BTW anther cool word Dan) world, above average and good, not great mean the same thing, I guess they don't to you.  I'll try to dumb my posts down to the same adjectives as a favor to you.

YES I AM!!!!

Dirk
Dirk
Dirk
Dirk
Dirk
Dirk
Dirk

then where are the examples of him being a good defender?

Review my posts in the thread entitled Kobe-wan:

http://www.phillyarena.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2623

And also review the post of our resident Lurker in this thread.  

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2006, 06:01:39 PM »
Thank you Skander, I enjoy using big words, and I think I am good, not great, but good, at it. I wonder, does that make me an above average user of the english language? Hey, maybe there IS something to your nebulous logic after all!  :D  
Dan

Guest_Randy

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2006, 06:26:55 PM »

YES I AM!!!!

Dirk
Dirk
Dirk
Dirk
Dirk
Dirk
Dirk

I think this is your best post on this board to date!  

But Dirk STILL isn't a good defender!  :moon:  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2006, 11:29:54 PM »
Yeah Joe is a respected, knowledgeable observer of the game but since when has his opinion become the Lord's gospel on pictures of games I highly doubt he even watched.

I know I've got that certificate around here SOMEWHERE....

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

dude1394

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2006, 12:41:25 PM »
Put your crack pipes down.

http://probasketball.about.com/gi/dynamic/...v%3DiYPLTvs1v1g
That's interesting...I didn't realize that Shawn could only dunk.  I thought he could dribble and hit a shot as well.  Of course I'm only going off what the media and fans show me.  

:)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2006, 02:36:11 PM »
How about a few more stats.....

Dallas' PF rebounds per game 11.5
Opponent's PF rebounds per game  10.7

Dallas's PF fouls per game  3.6
Opponent's PF fouls per game  5.2

Dallas's PF blocks per game  1.0
Opponent's blocks per game  1.0

So Dallas' PF position (played mostly by Dirk 38 min per game) outrebounds their opponents PF, commits less fouls and has the same number of blocks.  Either Dirk is doing something right defensively OR Van Horn (Dirk's primary backup at PF) has become an ALL-NBA defender at PF in 10 minutes per game.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2006, 02:45:20 PM »
EGAD!  Just standing Keith Van Horn next to Dirk and comparing them on defense makes Dirk look like Bill Russell.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2006, 04:09:55 PM »
:rolleyes: @

"Dallas's PF fouls per game 3.6
Opponent's PF fouls per game 5.2"

That stat is misleading as Dirk is not always guarding the other teams PF.

"Dallas's PF blocks per game 1.0
Opponent's blocks per game 1.0"

This one I like because if he is such a good defender and has great footwork why is a 7 foot guy only getting one block per game?  Don't say he doesnt have the speed and footwork to get over to block a shot.  AK seems to do it very well.  Plus, is it really that hard to understand why the other teams PF is not block Dirk's 25 foot fall away jumper :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 04:10:40 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2006, 04:35:52 PM »
Well, since there are only 14 power forwards that average more than 1 block per game (and Dirk averages .97) I would say that he is definately average for a starting NBA power forward in that department.

1   Elton   Brand   LAC   2.59
2   Pau   Gasol   MEM   2.37
3   Jermaine   O'Neal   IND   2.33
4   Tim   Duncan   SAS   2.31
5   Emeka   Okafor   CHA   1.92
6   Kevin   Garnett   MIN   1.52
7   Rasheed   Wallace   DET   1.52
8   Dwight   Howard   ORL   1.41
9   Kenyon   Martin   DEN   1.17
10   Chris   Andersen   NOK   1.17
11   Kurt   Thomas   PHX   1.13
12   Tyson   Chandler   CHI   1.07
13   Raef   LaFrentz   BOS   1.03
14   Chris   Bosh   TOR   1.03
15   Dirk   Nowitzki   DAL   0.97
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 04:36:08 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues