Author Topic: Quotes from Kobe after OT loss  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quotes from Kobe after OT loss
« on: December 29, 2005, 10:19:06 AM »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bryant was called for a flagrant foul with 8:24 to play for elbowing Miller in the face as Miller drove again.

"Any player that was going to come down the lane at that point in time, I was going to let him know that he just can't walk through there," Bryant said. "I think we as a team have to do a better job of establishing that. And me, as a leader of the ballclub, I've got to take the initiative to do that -- and hopefully, everybody will see that.

"This being our home court, people come here and think it's Hollywood and all sorts of stuff, so they think they'll come down (the lane) and look pretty and shoot jump shots and dunk the ball and finger-roll the ball and do all sorts of cute stuff. And we've got to stop that."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll tell ya, could Phil Jackson be any prouder of his captain.  I bet Phil Jackson's heart fluttered and he was just beaming with pride after he heard this wonderful little tidbit from Kobe.

:nonono:  

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

guest-koast

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 10:48:30 AM »
LOL...it had less to do with him establishing that as it did with Mike Miller clearing out with his off arm and taking a mean elbow to the side of Kobe's head making a huge gash that needed 4 stitches.  Good try tho Kobe  :up:  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 11:18:51 AM »
I caught the end of that game - the last two or three minutes, plus overtime.

There is *NO* *WAY* the Lakers should have lost that game.  They did everything they could to give the game to the Grizzlies in regulation.

When it got to overtime, the Grizzlies jumped on 'em.  Kobe brought the Lakers back, but there was a blown call by the officials on the sideline, plus a couple of questionable no-calls, all of which favored the Grizzlies.  Bryant was making a scene through much of it, and continued on after the game.

I think Bryant had better be careful.  He's gotten a good number of breaks from officials on stuff that I think absolutely *HAD* to be called on him;  he'd better be at least a little more civil when he DOESN'T get those calls, lest he start getting more of his just desserts.  Right now, Rasheed Wallace is behaving more respectfully towards officials than Kobe is.

And ugly end to that game last night.  By my count, there was a Bryant offensive foul that wasn't called, a turnover due to Damon Stoudamire dribbling off his knee that was mistakenly called out-of-bounds on the Lakers, a foul committed on Bryant as he drove for what should have been the game-winner, a foul on the rebound, and a foul on the final attempt by Mihm.

One has to wonder if Bryant hadn't had that flagrant earlier if those calls might have been made.

Let me add that I absolutely detest the Laker announcers.  Somebody dig up Chick Hearn and put him back behind the mike.  When he took the officials to task, it didn't sound like spoiled brats whining.  His silence would be better commentary than the current crop of announcers.

Also, I heard Eddie Jones was tossed from that game.  Anyone know why?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 11:55:24 AM »
The eddie jones toss was BS.  Major major bs.  Pretty much Jones got fouled badly and just tossed the ball at the rim to make sure he got to shoot 2.  No call was made and Eddie/Mike Fratello were HEATED.  Mike was jawing with the official telling him he should be ashamed for himself and got T'd up.  Eddie then went over to the official and stayed in his ear for a good 2 minutes and got tossed with no warning technical.  Thought it was kinda weird.  One of those refs must not like him because he was getting alot of touch fouls during the course of the game too.

I thought Chris Mihm got fouled but why complain about that call when the Lakers had a handfull of chances to end the game.  If they played good basketball last night then a foul on Chris at the end shouldn't have mattered.  Thats how I saw it at least.

Kobe shouldn't be complaining about a no call on him because IMO they were not letting Eddie Jones play him tough.  I am pretty tired of this new way they are calling contact on the perimeter, the defender is not suppose to touch the defender at all or else its a foul.  They hit Jones with it 2x, they hit Sasha with it 2x, and a few others also.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 12:49:27 PM »
Bryant was called for a flagrant foul with 8:24 to play for elbowing Miller in the face as Miller drove again.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=251228013

Millers contact with Kobme looks incidental.  Is there some reason to believe Millers contact was done on purpose?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 12:56:56 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=251228013

Millers contact with Kobme looks incidental.  Is there some reason to believe Millers contact was done on purpose?
It wasnt on purpose at all.  Just wrong place at the wrong time for Kobe's head.  Mark Miller was looking at the rim and the 2 points his team was going to get.  He was not aiming for Kobe's head by any means.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 01:01:26 PM »
When it got to overtime, the Grizzlies jumped on 'em.  Kobe brought the Lakers back, but there was a blown call by the officials on the sideline, plus a couple of questionable no-calls, all of which favored the Grizzlies.  Bryant was making a scene through much of it, and continued on after the game.

I think Bryant had better be careful.  He's gotten a good number of breaks from officials on stuff that I think absolutely *HAD* to be called on him;  he'd better be at least a little more civil when he DOESN'T get those calls, lest he start getting more of his just desserts.  Right now, Rasheed Wallace is behaving more respectfully towards officials than Kobe is.

And ugly end to that game last night.  By my count, there was a Bryant offensive foul that wasn't called, a turnover due to Damon Stoudamire dribbling off his knee that was mistakenly called out-of-bounds on the Lakers, a foul committed on Bryant as he drove for what should have been the game-winner, a foul on the rebound, and a foul on the final attempt by Mihm.

One has to wonder if Bryant hadn't had that flagrant earlier if those calls might have been made.

Let me add that I absolutely detest the Laker announcers.  Somebody dig up Chick Hearn and put him back behind the mike.  When he took the officials to task, it didn't sound like spoiled brats whining.  His silence would be better commentary than the current crop of announcers.

Also, I heard Eddie Jones was tossed from that game.  Anyone know why?
Like Grizzlies up 100-95 and Stoudamire signals for a timeout but is given a backcourt violation?

"a foul committed on Bryant as he drove for what should have been the game-winner"  :eek2:   On who?  

"a foul on the rebound",
On Mihm for pushing and then going over the back to get the rebound?  Yes.

"and a foul on the final attempt by Mihm."  Yes that i agree with.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 01:23:26 PM »
It wasnt on purpose at all.  Just wrong place at the wrong time for Kobe's head.  Mark Miller was looking at the rim and the 2 points his team was going to get.  He was not aiming for Kobe's head by any means.
ahh. That is what it looked like.

Now as to Kobmes foul.
The reason the Pampered Puss was given a pass on a Flagrant 2 is.....?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 01:44:20 PM »
It wasnt on purpose at all.  Just wrong place at the wrong time for Kobe's head.  Mark Miller was looking at the rim and the 2 points his team was going to get.  He was not aiming for Kobe's head by any means.
ahh. That is what it looked like.

Now as to Kobmes foul.
The reason the Pampered Puss was given a pass on a Flagrant 2 is.....?
Who gave him the pass?  Not me.  I was laughing at the fact he tried to act like it was to send a message you cant come in the paint when in fact it was because he wanted to get back at Mike Miller.

Chris did not go over the back and he was fouled on his jump hook.  You dont have to take my word for it, Joe Vancil said the same thing and you cannot question if he is partial towards the Lakers because he is not.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 02:00:31 PM »
Who gave him the pass?  Not me.  I was laughing at the fact he tried to act like it was to send a message you cant come in the paint when in fact it was because he wanted to get back at Mike Miller.

Chris did not go over the back and he was fouled on his jump hook.  You dont have to take my word for it, Joe Vancil said the same thing and you cannot question if he is partial towards the Lakers because he is not.
:hail:  :hail:  :hail: "Who gave him the pass?  Not me.  I was laughing at the fact he tried to act like it was to send a message you cant come in the paint when in fact it was because he wanted to get back at Mike Miller."

Let the heavens rejoice! :eek2:  :cheers:  :hail:
An objective Laker poster has seen a Kobme play for what it was.

"Chris did not go over the back and he was fouled on his jump hook.  You dont have to take my word for it, Joe Vancil said the same thing and you cannot question if he is partial towards the Lakers because he is not."

So now you are claiming Mihm was fouled on the rebound? :rofl:

Joe hasn't clarifyed yet what "a foul on the rebound' meant.  However since he said all OT calls favored the purple n gold, lets assume you two think Mihm was fouled not only on the shot but on his over the back rebound.  Talk about purple n gold bias.

I take the replays version over Joes.  The replay is not biased.  That i know of.  Prior to the Mihm rebound he slightly pushes then attempts to get the rebound.  A Griz has his hands on ball but it pops up a 2nd time.  Mihm fouled on the 2nd time for sure.  Watch the tape.  Watch Mihms right arm/hand just prior to rebound.  Right on Gasols back as he shoves.  The shoves are not overbearing but they are enough to get the rebound.  While normally Gasol should have been doing the backup method of rebounding, thus keeping Mihm behind him, he had to stay in close because another Laker was in close to the hoop with Gasol vieing for the rebound.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 02:13:46 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 02:26:21 PM »
I didn't say Chris Mihm was fouled on the rebound.  What I said is he did not commit a foul and he was fouled on his jump hook.  That was clear as day as you can watch his arm slam back because he was hit on the forearm/wrist.

I agree 100% with Joe's original post of what went on.  That is exactly how I saw it also.  

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 02:45:13 PM »
Reality,

Blocking foul on what I think is Dahnte Jones on Kobe's drive.

Over the back on Mihm on his initial attempt at a rebound (not the one he actually caught).  Mihm's over-the-back foul is at 6.2 seconds on the clock.

*NOWHERE* did I say that all the calls favored the Purple and Gold, because I think MOST of them went AGAINST the Lakers.  Damon Stoudamire dribbling the ball off of his knee, but it being called Grizzlies' ball was truly pathetic by the officials.

The officials missed pretty much EVERYTHING that I saw in overtime.  They missed the Stoudamire dribbling off his knee and out-of-bounds.  They missed the Dahnte Jones block/flop.  They missed Mihm's over-the-back.  They missed the hack on Mihm's shot.

That game was a disgrace to basketball on so many levels - right down to the COACHING of it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 02:47:26 PM by Joe Vancil »
Joe

-----------

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 03:09:32 PM »
Reality,

Blocking foul on what I think is Dahnte Jones on Kobe's drive.

Over the back on Mihm on his initial attempt at a rebound (not the one he actually caught).  Mihm's over-the-back foul is at 6.2 seconds on the clock.

*NOWHERE* did I say that all the calls favored the Purple and Gold, because I think MOST of them went AGAINST the Lakers.  Damon Stoudamire dribbling the ball off of his knee, but it being called Grizzlies' ball was truly pathetic by the officials.

The officials missed pretty much EVERYTHING that I saw in overtime.  They missed the Stoudamire dribbling off his knee and out-of-bounds.  They missed the Dahnte Jones block/flop.  They missed Mihm's over-the-back.  They missed the hack on Mihm's shot.

That game was a disgrace to basketball on so many levels - right down to the COACHING of it.
JV Blocking foul on what I think is Dahnte Jones on Kobe's drive.

Hmmn I can't see where the cameras show the angle at all so that any of us could say conclusively one way or the other.  I do see Dahnte Jones being hammered to the floor, by that I mean he hits hard, it does not look like a flop at all.  Whether Bryant pushed him or he just tripped over his own mans feet (Gasol coming over to help), i cant see at all.  While I do not dismiss the possibility of a Dahnte Jones block it is entirely conceivable Bryant pushed him.  

Thank goodness you didn't say the foul was on the Bryant layup shortly thereafter. :up:  :D

JV Over the back on Mihm on his initial attempt at a rebound (not the one he actually caught).  Mihm's over-the-back foul is at 6.2 seconds on the clock.

yes its clear.  Westkoast are you seeing this?  Do you completely agree with Joe?

In keeping with my realistic and balanced posting, i certainly agree Stoudamires out of bounds went off his knee, not Smush Parkers.  Good D by Smush combined with jr high school like ballhandling by Stoudamire.

re above play, other plays and coaching, while Stoudamire did appear to signal timeout when up 100-95, how is it the Grizzlies cannot simply get the ball upcourt when up by so much?  Obviously the Lakers are going to try and steal or foul.  As to the fullcourt trap, I loved that when i was playing.  Doubleteaming the ball means 4 on 3 in your teams favor when ballhandler is trapped.  Pathetic ball handling by Grizz.

Also when up 100-94.  How on Earth do you let Kombe attempt and make a 3 pter? :bash:   Its not like he launched a fadeawy 38 footer.  In fact as Kobe held the ball and contemplated whether to drive or shoot, the Grizz defender BACKED UP!  I'd be furious if I was coaching!!  Give up at worst the 2 pter.  Lakers cannot win other then Grizz chocking FTs.  Do not give up a 3 pter in any way shape or form.  

Ditto Lakers giving up the 88-88 3 pter.  Duherreeereerrrrr.

Clinic on how to not end a game.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 03:20:58 PM »
By the way, that flagrant foul on Kobe?  That SHOULD be a Flagrant-2, which carries automatic ejection.  The refs missed that, too.

That's three players in the last week or so that Bryant has hit in the face (Nowitzki was the first, and what looked to be an unintentional one to Dwyane Wade on Christmas Day was the second), and Bryant has only been called for ONE of them.  Given that, next game, if I'm Kobe's opponent (and I believe it's the Jazz), I'm going to the refs before the game and saying, "If Kobe Bryant has an elbow that hits anywhere near anyone's face, either you're gonna have to take care of it, or we will."  And then, I'm going to go out and absolutely ANNOY THE HELL out of Kobe.  The Matt Harpring kind of annoying.  The dirty kind of annoying.

Kobe wanted to "send a message"?  I'd be ready to send one back.

Joe

-----------