Author Topic: Laker fans rejoice, Andrew Bryman is HERE!  (Read 11124 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Laker fans rejoice, Andrew Bryman is HERE!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 01:45:21 PM »
Did you watch the game last night???  The things you are praising for Kaman for doing is things Bynum did last night against Oberto, Nazr, and Duncan.  The last two are not exactly scrubs on both ends of the floor.

How do you know Bynum has none of that if he hasnt even got to play basketball?  Again, Kaman came from college at 20-something.  Not straight from high school as a 17 year old. 

You are not following what I am telling you which is you are basing him being worthless after seeing him for maybe 30-40 minutes altogether.  Give him some time to actually develop and learn the game.  Those 'moves' as just as much mental as they are physical.
rick,

I follow everything you're saying, no questions.

When you play pick up games you can just size the guys on the court from watching two or three possestions.  That's all I'm doing and I'll probably be right.
Reality,

So pick up games and NBA games are the same now?  Move over Steve Nash, this weekend warrior is ready to suit up!

You know what one difference between the two is?  You get to see those guys play for 2 games that last 20-30 minutes.  So if you sat and watched a guy for 2 games you would have already seen that weekend warrior more than you have seen Bynum :lol:

You are mistaking me saying he hasnt had enough time for us to fully judge as me saying hes the next best center in the league.  That is not what I am saying.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 01:56:43 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 02:05:49 PM »
Are you talking to me or WOW?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 02:15:43 PM »
WoW

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 02:26:00 PM »
Article from SA paper.....

Lakers rookie center leaves butterflies behind against his idol

Web Posted: 11/30/2005 12:14 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Thirty-three days beyond his 18th birthday and three minutes into the second quarter of Tuesday's Spurs-Los Angeles game, Lakers rookie center Andrew Bynum realized he was about to match up against his boyhood idol.

"I was a little nervous when I first got out there," Bynum admitted after the Spurs had blunted a late Lakers' rally for a 90-84 victory, "because he's my favorite player."

There was no need to ask which of the Spurs the Lakers' rookie had idolized since he was old enough to operate the remote control.

"Tim Duncan," Bynum said, "is so fundamentally sound. He does everything correctly. If I pattern my game after him and do everything right I'll be all right."

Duncan, who discovered that an 18-year-old who is 7-feet tall and 275 pounds can make life difficult in the lane, even if he is the youngest player ever to suit up in an NBA game, wasn't sure how to take such flattery.

"That's bad," Duncan said. "That means I'm getting old."

Bynum, the 10th pick in the first round of the 2005 draft, is so unaccustomed to life in the NBA that he forgot to take out his protective mouthpiece after the game. It wasn't until he began answering reporters' questions that he realized it was still in place on his upper gum.

"Sorry about that," he told the reporters after realizing his first utterance had been unintelligible and reached up to remove the mouthpiece.

Bynum didn't have to apologize for his play against Duncan and the rest of the Spurs' big men. In his 21 minutes he grabbed six rebounds, scored six points and blocked two shots, including one of Duncan's. He also back-rimmed a dunk attempt against Duncan, a fact he said precluded him from phoning home, to Plainsboro, N.J., to crow a bit about his performance against the two-time MVP.

"If I hadn't missed that dunk," he said, "well, yeah, I would have (phoned home)."

Missed dunk notwithstanding, Bynum was reasonably happy with his play against Duncan.

"I think I did all right," he said. "I had to guard him a couple of times and he didn't score, so that's all right."

Duncan agreed.

"Good young player," Duncan said. "He's got a big body and it looks like he's got great coordination. He moves his feet really well and made a couple of good moves in there. He's got a lot of promise."

Lakers coach Phil Jackson hasn't made a habit of giving significant playing time to rookies during his coaching career, but with this season's Lakers he has had little choice but to give Bynum a good run. And after Tuesday's performance, he has concluded Bynum needs to continue to get meaningful playing time.

"That's what Andrew can do," Jackson said. "He can play the game in a way that changes opponents' shots and he does things effectively out there that are important. He's a rebounder, and Lamar (Odom) found him for a couple of easy baskets. Those things are good. Right now he's playing at a level where he has to play some minutes for us to be an effective team."

His ability to survive against his boyhood idol did nothing but bolster Bynum's confidence.

"I'm settling in, getting a little more confident as the game goes on," Bynum said. "The more my confidence grows, the bigger minutes I may be able to get. I believe I can do a little bit more as soon as I get the offense totally understood and know exactly what to do."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mikemonroe@express-news.net
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 02:26:26 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 03:55:06 PM »
Lurker,

Thanks for posting that -- this article makes me feel MUCH better about Bynum.  Not just the words that TD stated about him (which are reasons that I discount WOW's assessment of Bynum -- I NEVER saw Causwell even attempt to move his feet much less have good vertical foot movement) but the words that Bynum said himself!  I WANT Bynum to pattern his game after TD -- and I like the fact that he understands the importance of fundamentals rather than just trying to get on Sportscenter every night.  

It's STILL way to early to say that Bynum is going to make it or not -- but personally, I think he is a better player right now than Mihm or Brown (and personally, I'd rather see him play than Mihm or Brown).

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 04:07:38 PM »
WoW
I'm calling you rick cause rick keeps calling me westkoast.

Your "Reality" barb missed it's mark.

Pick-up game, college, pro's or internation is all the same to me when it comes to spotting talent, especially in big men.  

Too bad I missed last nights game.

FYI: There is something called "Summer League" in case you didn't know.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 04:17:46 PM »
WoW
I'm calling you rick cause rick keeps calling me westkoast.

Your "Reality" barb missed it's mark.

Pick-up game, college, pro's or internation is all the same to me when it comes to spotting talent, especially in big men.  

Too bad I missed last nights game.

FYI: There is something called "Summer League" in case you didn't know.
FYI: Summer league is not a place to base how well a player is going to do in an nba setting.  Not all the best players go and play summer ball and not alot of players travel all around just to play summer ball.  Only a small handful do.  The team game is not quite the same either.  Its more like pick up basketball than anything.  Much different when you have the guidance of a coaching staff and a center like Kareem helping you.  Give the kid some time to develop before you use your Jerry West-like GM skills to write him off.

Pretty much everything youve said that was negative towards his game  was disproved by Bynum last night.  The Spurs fans will tell you that if you dont want to believe me.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 04:19:03 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 05:14:08 PM »
FYI: Summer league is not a place to base how well a player is going to do in an nba setting.  Not all the best players go and play summer ball and not alot of players travel all around just to play summer ball.  Only a small handful do.  The team game is not quite the same either.  Its more like pick up basketball than anything.  Much different when you have the guidance of a coaching staff and a center like Kareem helping you.  Give the kid some time to develop before you use your Jerry West-like GM skills to write him off.

Summer league is enough for me to see if a player has talent.  Talent shows up regardless of where you're playing.  I've been doing pretty good so far, the only guy I was way off the mark so far has been Billy Owens.

Pretty much everything youve said that was negative towards his game  was disproved by Bynum last night.  The Spurs fans will tell you that if you dont want to believe me.

Like I said, too bad I missed the game, as far as disproved, we'll see.  Kandi man can disprove his critics for a quarter or even a game at a time but he's still a big bust.  Spurs fans don't know squat, why would I listen to them.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »
Hey I'm all for getting on the "Ridicule WOW" bandwagon, I know Reality is saving me a seat.<wave>      :jk:

But WOW actually has a point.  Sometimes you can just size a player up like you do in pick-up and its easier done when they happen to play your position.  Now it ain't an exact science and I don't think WOW is claiming that it is.  Its just his first impression of the youngster and it is what it is, a feeling.  Now he could be wrong and Bynum be the second-coming of Wilt and he could be right in that Bynum might plateau at solid journeyman with some bread and butter moves...we'll just have to see.  

I think he is a better player right now than Mihm or Brown

Whoa there Randy, I applaud the zeal in which you express your utter hatred for the Laker bigs.  In fact I agree that Kwame for Caron wasn't the smartest move Kupchak could've done but COME ON.  

Chris Mihm is averaged twice the number of points Bynum is averaging PER 40 minutes and his .473 FG (by no means stellar) puts Bynum's .333 FG to shame.  Heck Browns .407 FG (by all means horrible) puts Bynum's number to shame and he's averaging more points per 40 than Bynum.  Its good to have hope for your young Center and if the kid puts in the time and effort I'm sure he'll one day embarass Mihm and Brown, but to make that declaration this early is foolish.      

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 05:33:49 PM »
Chris Mihm is averaged twice the number of points Bynum is averaging PER 40 minutes and his .473 FG (by no means stellar) puts Bynum's .333 FG to shame.  Heck Browns .407 FG (by all means horrible) puts Bynum's number to shame and he's averaging more points per 40 than Bynum.  Its good to have hope for your young Center and if the kid puts in the time and effort I'm sure he'll one day embarass Mihm and Brown, but to make that declaration this early is foolish.
Skandery as you know stats are very misleading and if you dont watch the Lakers it does not show what really is going on.

Mihm is more focused on when he is in the game than Bynum is.  Mihm starts the game and is usually the only guy other than Kobe to start taking shots the minute the game starts.  The Lakers have made it a point to try to get him started early.  He has also been given the green light to shoot when he feels he has a shot.  Bynum does not have that same luxury and he is not someone the Lakers try to get off on the offensive end.  95% of Bynum's points this year have came off someone else making plays for him.    The Lakers have no decided to establish Bynum in the post because quite frankly he is only getting playing time right now because Mihm cannot stay out of foul trouble and Kwame is hurt.  All of this above also applies to Kwame Brown.

Also, the reason why that stat is misleading is because Bynum, at the very start of the season, was coming in for short spurts (couple minutes at a time) and did not score his first 2 points in the league until last week.  One more thing I might add is that he is better at being the defensive anchor than either two of those guys, something stats will not show you.  He is a very long player and is much better than both of them at causing players to alter shots.  The last 3 games he has done a very excellent job of making players change shots at the last minute when he is in the game.  

I am in no way saying he is great of even good at this point.  Only thing I am saying is that he is too young and has not had enough playing time in the NBA to be judged good or bad.  Saying you think he will be a bust is alot different than coming straight out and saying he is a bust already like WoW did.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 05:39:21 PM by westkoast »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 09:36:14 AM »
Hey I'm all for getting on the "Ridicule WOW" bandwagon, I know Reality is saving me a seat.<wave>      :jk:

But WOW actually has a point.  Sometimes you can just size a player up like you do in pick-up and its easier done when they happen to play your position.  Now it ain't an exact science and I don't think WOW is claiming that it is.  Its just his first impression of the youngster and it is what it is, a feeling.  Now he could be wrong and Bynum be the second-coming of Wilt and he could be right in that Bynum might plateau at solid journeyman with some bread and butter moves...we'll just have to see.  

I think he is a better player right now than Mihm or Brown

Whoa there Randy, I applaud the zeal in which you express your utter hatred for the Laker bigs.  In fact I agree that Kwame for Caron wasn't the smartest move Kupchak could've done but COME ON.  

Chris Mihm is averaged twice the number of points Bynum is averaging PER 40 minutes and his .473 FG (by no means stellar) puts Bynum's .333 FG to shame.  Heck Browns .407 FG (by all means horrible) puts Bynum's number to shame and he's averaging more points per 40 than Bynum.  Its good to have hope for your young Center and if the kid puts in the time and effort I'm sure he'll one day embarass Mihm and Brown, but to make that declaration this early is foolish.
Skander,

I think you are misunderstanding me -- it's not that I am stating that Bynum is a great player -- it's just that I think that Mihm and Brown are worthless.  Sure, Mihm puts up some decent numbers at times but he actually is given a green light and encouraged to look for his offensive game.  I think at this point, PJ is just trying to give Bynum some NBA minutes and giving him an opportunity to get out on the floor -- I don't think there has been much pressure (or a lot of encouragement) to get out and look for his game offensively.  I DEFINATELY think that Bynum is a better defensive player than Mihm or Brown -- of course, I think most of the post men in the league are much better than that duo!  

I'm not trying to say Bynum is a great player -- I do see some GREAT potential -- he had a good game against TD and that's saying something for a rookie who is just 18 years old playing in the post.  And I don't see much of all that I really care for in Mihm and Brown!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 09:52:55 AM »
Saying you think he will be a bust is alot different than coming straight out and saying he is a bust already like WoW did.
westkoast,

Don't do that Randy/Reality BS where you put words in my mouth to TRY and strengthen your argument.

Where did I state Bryman was a bust?  I said he sucks.  There are plenty of guys in the NBA who sucked but stayed in the league because they could serve a purpose or role.  The 5 spot is probably the best place for someone who sucks to stay in the league, i.e.  G. Ostertag, B. Benjamin, D. Causewell, JB Carrol, M. Bol, S. Bradely etc....  A bust is someone like Kwame, J. Bender, S. King, E. O'Bannon, P. Ellison, H. Minor, R. White & R. Williams.

There is a difference and IMO Bryman is gonna suck, he may be the reincarnation of Mike Shmrek.  Remember that guy who backup Kareem for years and showed some potential and flashes of brilliance but never really panned out.  In this era a guy like Mike would be a solid center.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 11:04:43 AM »
Saying you think he will be a bust is alot different than coming straight out and saying he is a bust already like WoW did.
westkoast,

Don't do that Randy/Reality BS where you put words in my mouth to TRY and strengthen your argument.

Where did I state Bryman was a bust?  I said he sucks.  There are plenty of guys in the NBA who sucked but stayed in the league because they could serve a purpose or role.  The 5 spot is probably the best place for someone who sucks to stay in the league, i.e.  G. Ostertag, B. Benjamin, D. Causewell, JB Carrol, M. Bol, S. Bradely etc....  A bust is someone like Kwame, J. Bender, S. King, E. O'Bannon, P. Ellison, H. Minor, R. White & R. Williams.

There is a difference and IMO Bryman is gonna suck, he may be the reincarnation of Mike Shmrek.  Remember that guy who backup Kareem for years and showed some potential and flashes of brilliance but never really panned out.  In this era a guy like Mike would be a solid center.
Um, WOW why would I need to put words into your mouth when you said this on the first page of this thread

I'm saying he SUCKS!

I watch young guys like Nene and Kaman who have some basic coordination, they will end up being jorneyman type players. Andrew doesn't display any of that, he's very akward ala Deke without the defensive ability.

He may one day develop the offensive abilities of Olwakandi, on a good day he has some impressive moves against the likes of Duncan and DRob. It really looked like Olwakandi turned the corner in those games but it was short lived.

He just doesn't have it.

Saying he 'doesn't have it' is saying that he is already a bust is it not?  I dont see how it could be taken any other way.  You are comparing him to Olwakandi who is the very definition of 'a bust'

I didnt twist anything around.  You just are catching up to Lurker in the memory department :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 11:07:41 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 11:10:19 AM »
Um, WOW why would I need to put words into your mouth when you said this on the first page of this thread

"I'm saying he SUCKS!

I watch young guys like Nene and Kaman who have some basic coordination, they will end up being jorneyman type players. Andrew doesn't display any of that, he's very akward ala Deke without the defensive ability.

He may one day develop the offensive abilities of Olwakandi, on a good day he has some impressive moves against the likes of Duncan and DRob. It really looked like Olwakandi turned the corner in those games but it was short lived.

He just doesn't have it. "

westkoast:

I've read the post over and over and I still can't find the word "bust" anywhere, help me out here.

Saying he 'doesn't have it' is saying that he is already a bust is it not?

No it is not.

I dont see how it could be taken any other way.

I just posted the difference between "sucks" and "bust".  If you can't "see" it let me know and I'll bump up the font.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 11:10:33 AM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

"I'm saying he SUCKS!

He just doesn't have it. "

westkoast:

I've read the post over and over and I still can't find the word "bust" anywhere, help me out here.

Saying he 'doesn't have it' is saying that he is already a bust is it not?

No it is not.

I dont see how it could be taken any other way.

I just posted the difference between "sucks" and "bust".  If you can't "see" it let me know and I'll bump up the font.
you compared him to olawakandi WoW...he is the definition of a bust.  Did Kandi all the sudden drop that bust title recently?