Author Topic: OT: Dabods thread missing?  (Read 9869 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT: Dabods thread missing?
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2005, 04:37:21 PM »
I never saw any description about the creation of the world that appeared to offer any value whatsoever- all of it just plain nonsense, including Genesis.

How dare you refer to banging your own sister as nonsense!
WoW, dude, there was no need to reveal that . . . keep your confused past to yourself.
The book of Genesis is not part of MY past.

I prefer one of the books that was left out.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 04:37:54 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2005, 05:01:16 PM »

Better hope the book of Revelation isn't part of your future!

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

rickortreat

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2005, 05:20:59 PM »
First sign that it's a scam and not the truth:

Negative consequences for NOT BELIEVING IT.  As per Joe's post about revelations.

Considering that no-one knows the truth, we all live in ignorance.  When it comes to knowing the true nature of the Universe, it apparently doesn't have much impact on your life in the present.

What does have an impact on the present is knowledge which helps keep you alive, improves the quality of your life, or makes you happier.

Note that all these religions are telling you all the bad things that will happen if you don't believe the way they want!

In my religion, the adverse consequences of your ignorance are what you are experiencing now.  As you become more aware of your faults and remedy them, you move more into harmony with the universe, and enjoy your existance more.  You don't have to belive in me, or pay me any money.  Just live by the Golden rule, and stay humble, because no matter how much you know, chances are there are smarter souls than you, who know more!

You don't have to join or go anywhere on Saturdays or Sundays.  Everything you need, has been provided for you, all you have to do is work to maintain your life.  

Isn't this a great religion I have?  One other thing, we won't be conquering other cultures or telling them they're inferior.  We will, however, kick anyone's ass who interferes with our free will and our choices!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2005, 05:30:20 PM »

Better hope the book of Revelation isn't part of your future!
That depends on who's "book of revelation" you wish to believe.  There were two candidates, for whatever reason one was chosen over the other because of one very important difference.  The book that was left out was left out because of something Jesus himself revealed to the author.  What Jesus revealed was something that most christian leaders would not want there peeps to know, but that something would make it seem god is greater than man.

I think it was the book is the apocolypse by Peter or the gospel by Peter, not sure.  I know my spelling sucks!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 05:31:03 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2005, 05:33:58 PM »
One other thing, we won't be conquering other cultures or telling them they're inferior.  We will, however, kick anyone's ass who interferes with our free will and our choices!
rick,

Unfortunately your religion will fail because the three major reliogions of the world will kill non-believer, TO THIS DAY, because that is god's will.  Heck, sometimes their god will do it himself.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2005, 06:06:30 PM »

Negative consequences for NOT BELIEVING IT. As per Joe's post about revelations.

That's an awfully simplistic view on the world, Rick.

There are TONS of negative consequences for many things in the world.  Not a one of them takes into account your (or my) feelings on the matter.  As a Christian, I look at that as one more reason God *WANTS* us to look into things - to be educated in the ways of the science he used in building the universe.  He doesn't want anything bad to happen to us anymore than any of us do.  But ultimately, the choice is ours.

Everything you need, has been provided for you, all you have to do is work to maintain your life.

A task at which, ultimately, everyone fails.  What promise is there after that?  And who is guaranteeing it?

I'm sorry, Rick, but while you may see this as a great "religion," while I certainly see the values in the attitudes your religion espouses, ultimately, what this does is make each person out there in the world valueless (valueless as in "of no value" rather than "having no (moral) values").  I can't believe that people get a brief moment in infinity, and then it's all gone.  I can't believe that there's no purpose to me...to my friends...to my colleagues...to the folks I know here...than to indulge ourselves in some of life's pleasures while not hurting anyone else, and then to drop into nothingness.  There has to be a purpose for us - a "higher calling," if you wish to call it that.

I simply can't believe life is as insignificant in the grand scheme of things as your proposed religion makes it seem.

Is this simply a crutch, for the weak-spirited Joe Vancil to lean on?  Perhaps;  perhaps not.  But in a simple prayer - maybe one of confession, maybe one of petition, maybe one of thanks - I feel an emotional tug at my heart - as if talking to an old friend.  I look at treasured possessions or think of old friends who passed away, and I don't get that "emotional pull."  That's something that only someone real and present in your life can give you.  And it's not something "self-contained" (using the best word I can to describe it).

I believe God is real.  I believe he hears me when I pray to him.  And I believe he answers me in the things that happen in my life.

But most importantly, he's not distant or unknowable.  To me, he seems understandable, reasonable, and consistent though I don't always understand his reasons and have to take some of them on faith.  But how many times have our human friends asked us to do the same kind of thing?  I don't see God as being any different.  And in his love for me, he treats me like as equal - even though, deep down in my heart, I know I'm not.

I know you think your religion sounds great, Rick, but I'd give all that up in a heartbeat for an ever-present, ever-reliable, all-powerful friend who loves me.

Joe

-----------

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2005, 06:09:11 PM »
That depends on who's "book of revelation" you wish to believe. There were two candidates, for whatever reason one was chosen over the other because of one very important difference. The book that was left out was left out because of something Jesus himself revealed to the author. What Jesus revealed was something that most christian leaders would not want there peeps to know, but that something would make it seem god is greater than man.

I think it was the book is the apocolypse by Peter or the gospel by Peter, not sure. I know my spelling sucks!

WayOut,

Sounds interesting.  Any idea of the general content?

Joe

Joe

-----------

rickortreat

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2005, 07:29:49 PM »

Negative consequences for NOT BELIEVING IT. As per Joe's post about revelations.

That's an awfully simplistic view on the world, Rick.

There are TONS of negative consequences for many things in the world. Not a one of them takes into account your (or my) feelings on the matter. As a Christian, I look at that as one more reason God *WANTS* us to look into things - to be educated in the ways of the science he used in building the universe. He doesn't want anything bad to happen to us anymore than any of us do. But ultimately, the choice is ours.

Is it really Joe, name a religion that tells you it's ok to belive what you want with no adverse consequences.  Religion is about coercion, it has to be, since it IS short on the TRUTH!

As a human being, I'm sure that God wants us to grow and develop- there is a purpose to life and existance after all, but you aren't going to find it in a book!

Everything you need, has been provided for you, all you have to do is work to maintain your life.

A task at which, ultimately, everyone fails. What promise is there after that? And who is guaranteeing it?

I'm sorry, Rick, but while you may see this as a great "religion," while I certainly see the values in the attitudes your religion espouses, ultimately, what this does is make each person out there in the world valueless (valueless as in "of no value" rather than "having no (moral) values"). I can't believe that people get a brief moment in infinity, and then it's all gone. I can't believe that there's no purpose to me...to my friends...to my colleagues...to the folks I know here...than to indulge ourselves in some of life's pleasures while not hurting anyone else, and then to drop into nothingness. There has to be a purpose for us - a "higher calling," if you wish to call it that.

Where do you get that Joe?  I didn't say we were on the road to nothingness, and nor did I imply that in any way.  To the contrary, I'm advocating respect for each individual and his innate intelligence.  Which ever way you choose to look at it, life is a mystery and our steps towards understanding is what makes life worth living, not the material wealth you acquire.

In the end, we all die.  At least in the physical world.  What happens beyond that is open to discussion and debate and speculation, but like you I agree that existence does not end with life.  As for the ulitimate purpose yet, we're not ready to know or even have the capacity to understand it.  There's nothing wrong with being honest and saying it remains a mystery, and it's a hell of lot better than someone telling you you're going to rot in hell, because you don't belive in Jesus.

I simply can't believe life is as insignificant in the grand scheme of things as your proposed religion makes it seem.

Is this simply a crutch, for the weak-spirited Joe Vancil to lean on? Perhaps; perhaps not. But in a simple prayer - maybe one of confession, maybe one of petition, maybe one of thanks - I feel an emotional tug at my heart - as if talking to an old friend. I look at treasured possessions or think of old friends who passed away, and I don't get that "emotional pull." That's something that only someone real and present in your life can give you. And it's not something "self-contained" (using the best word I can to describe it).

Life is not simply feelings Joe.  I am somewhat mistrustfull of them, since many people rely on their feelings and do stupid things continuously.  They are however, necessary, without feelings or a sense of the right, all life is, is pragmatic logic.  And it's much more than that.

I believe God is real. I believe he hears me when I pray to him. And I believe he answers me in the things that happen in my life.

That's ok, but you have no evidence.  And where is your ego that the creator of the universe makes time for you, but excluded so many others?

But most importantly, he's not distant or unknowable. To me, he seems understandable, reasonable, and consistent though I don't always understand his reasons and have to take some of them on faith. But how many times have our human friends asked us to do the same kind of thing? I don't see God as being any different. And in his love for me, he treats me like as equal - even though, deep down in my heart, I know I'm not.

I see it very differently.  Not that he's distant or unknowable, but he is well beyond our understanding or capacity to conceptualize his existance.  I'd say that if there is a creator who put the universe together, there's nothing I could tell him that he didn't already know!  I don't think he's capricious or unthinking in how he deals with us, but I do think he permits evil in the world as an extension of free will.  

I know you think your religion sounds great, Rick, but I'd give all that up in a heartbeat for an ever-present, ever-reliable, all-powerful friend who loves me.

Sounds good Joe, but there is no such being, and God is not going to put himself out for inferiors like us.  Evil happens in this world as man inflicts himself on other men.  God won't protect you, but he will make it possible for you to find ways to protect yourself.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2005, 07:49:34 PM »
That depends on who's "book of revelation" you wish to believe. There were two candidates, for whatever reason one was chosen over the other because of one very important difference. The book that was left out was left out because of something Jesus himself revealed to the author. What Jesus revealed was something that most christian leaders would not want there peeps to know, but that something would make it seem god is greater than man.

I think it was the book is the apocolypse by Peter or the gospel by Peter, not sure. I know my spelling sucks!

WayOut,

Sounds interesting.  Any idea of the general content?

Joe
Basically, Jesus said EVERYONE goes to heaven.  You can understand why people wouldn't THAT news to get out.  People will suffer for their sins but it will NOT be for eternity, in the end it will be one big happy family in the sky.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2005, 08:00:35 PM »
WayOut,

That's not what I believe, but it *IS* what I hope for.  I've said more prayers than I can count that are essentially, "God, find some way to work it out so that <insert name here> is with me in Heaven when all is said and done."

Joe

-----------

rickortreat

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2005, 08:47:49 PM »
That's always been a concept I've been a bit hazy on.  Would one of you good people explain what Heaven is, and what it's like there?

In reality,  the concept of Heaven (in the metaphysical sense) is assumptive and without solid foundation.  Again, no one really knows what happens when one dies.  Is it the same for animals as it is humans?  Do they go to the same place? And if not, why? They existed with us here!  

What are your beliefs reguarding the afterlife?    

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2005, 09:35:26 AM »
WayOut,

That's not what I believe, but it *IS* what I hope for.  I've said more prayers than I can count that are essentially, "God, find some way to work it out so that <insert name here> is with me in Heaven when all is said and done."
You don't beleive what Jesus said?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2005, 10:10:55 AM »
Actually, I do believe what Jesus said.

But I also believe that God listens to what we ask him.  After all, he listened to Abraham when Abraham asked him to reduce the number of just people it would take for God to spare Sodom and Gomorrah.

If, with God, nothing is impossible, then why aren't we asking for the impossible more often?  
Joe

-----------

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2005, 10:43:51 AM »
After all, he listened to Abraham when Abraham asked him to reduce the number of just people it would take for God to spare Sodom and Gomorrah.

How can you or God call a man "just" who offers up his virgin daughters for sex to a mob?  What kind of a man puts more value in strangers than in his own children.  

Just goes to show how little value is attributed to women in the bible.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2005, 07:16:25 PM »
After all, he listened to Abraham when Abraham asked him to reduce the number of just people it would take for God to spare Sodom and Gomorrah.

How can you or God call a man "just" who offers up his virgin daughters for sex to a mob?  What kind of a man puts more value in strangers than in his own children.  

Just goes to show how little value is attributed to women in the bible.
Joe,

I'm still waiting on an answer to this one.

Plus, how can you say you believe what jesus says but not believe what ALL people will goto heaven?  Jesus said EVERYONE goes to heaven in the end, why wouldn't you believe him?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"