Author Topic: Sixers romp over the Mavericks.  (Read 743 times)

rickortreat

Sixers romp over the Mavericks.
« on: November 09, 2005, 09:44:41 PM »
Sweeet!

The Sixers finally outrebounded an opponent, and out shot and out scored one of the better offenses in the league.

In the first half, you would have never guessed that the Sixers would blow out the Mavs, who were ahead 52-46, but in the third quarter, the Sixers exploded for 30 pts. while holding Dallas to 19, and then scored 36 in the fourth, holding the Mavs to 26.

This is the second consecutive game in which the Sixers shot better than 50%.  Against Indiana, that's very impressive, not so much so against the Mavs, but then again it's rare for any team to put up numbers like that.

Considering that they're doing this without Dalembert makes it even more impressive.

All of a sudden after playing some good teams, the Sixers now get to play some of the weaker ones in the league, allways good for the standings, and a chance to make up for some earlier gaffs.

The next three are at home with the Lakers, Clippers and Toronto comming in, then a road trip to Toronto before heading to Miami.

It would be great for them to head into Miami on a 5-game win streak.

It was also nice to see the Sixers celebrate the win.  They all met at center court high-fiving, congratulating each other and then huddling in prayer.  You get the sense these players like each other, and are starting to believe in their abilities.  They're still aways away from being a top contender, but I'm starting to like what I see out of these guys.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 12:02:51 PM »
Rick . . .

Umm, I notice that you don't mention ANYWHERE in your post that the Sixers didn't start winning until after Dirk had to leave the game!  That was the game turner, IMO.

I'm sure it just slipped your mind!   :rofl:  

rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »
Dirk was the only reason the Mavs were in the game at all, but IMO, it wouldn't have made a difference.

What happened was that Philly's reserves came in and outplayed the Mavericks.  Lee Nailon, John Salmons and Kevin Ollie were simply better than the Mavs.

Webber and Iverson weren't even the ones who made a difference.  It was Igoudala and Korver that broke the game open.

If Dirk was in there, the Sixers would never have gotten out to a 20 point lead, or gone off on a ten to nothing spurt.  But it wouldn't have been enough to keep them in the game when the Sixers were shooting .518 from the field and took 5 more shots.  

guest-koast

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 08:54:30 PM »
Dirk was the only reason the Mavs were in the game at all, but IMO, it wouldn't have made a difference.

What happened was that Philly's reserves came in and outplayed the Mavericks.  Lee Nailon, John Salmons and Kevin Ollie were simply better than the Mavs.

Webber and Iverson weren't even the ones who made a difference.  It was Igoudala and Korver that broke the game open.

If Dirk was in there, the Sixers would never have gotten out to a 20 point lead, or gone off on a ten to nothing spurt.  But it wouldn't have been enough to keep them in the game when the Sixers were shooting .518 from the field and took 5 more shots.
I didnt see the game so I dont know how well the Sixers played last night but to say if Dirk was in there would be no difference is not true.  I dont need to see the game to know that.

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 09:35:40 PM »
Sorry, Guest.

I meant to say no difference in the outcome of the game.  The score would definitely have been different, and the final score would have been closer.

Dirk is the key to the Mavericks their go-to guy.  Without him, the Mavericks had problems executing their offence, and the Sixers took advantage of bad passes the Mavericks made, without the stablizing influence of Nowitsky, who can score from anywhere on the floor.

But Dirk wouldn't have made a differnce in the Sixers shooting.  He wouldn't have stopped Korver or Igoudala, or made Ollie work any harder to get those assists.