Author Topic: Mark Cuban Vs. Kenny and Charles Barkley  (Read 4105 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Mark Cuban Vs. Kenny and Charles Barkley
« on: November 04, 2005, 10:45:44 AM »
Towards the end of the Heat/Pacers game they cut away to Studio J where Kenny and Charles were asked if they knew what a blog was.  Charles made some snide comments about the computer and said he knew the blog was something to do with the Internet and thats it.  Then they go into reading what Mark Cuban recently posted on his blog, I dont remember word for word, but it was something along the lines of if they were so smart why have they not been head coaches in this league.   Kenny and Charles then went into a tiny rant about how theyve been in big games, Barkley has an MVP, they've played in all-star games, etc etc.  The whole time Charles keeps saying "I have love for Mark but he will never in a thousand years know as much about basketball as me" right before they cut out to commercial Barkley says "or else he wouldnt have put together that soft cupcake team"  OUCH

Thoughts?  Personally I thought it was funny as hell.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 10:59:12 AM »
That is hilarious!  

We all know that Kenny and Charles think WAYYYY more of themselves than they should -- but the same is true of Cuban as well.  Just because he hit it big in the dot.com era it means he is an astute basketball genius?  Just look at the deals that HE pulled the trigger on last year and it's obvious that he knows how to spend money but he isn't a basketball genius.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 11:12:28 AM »
That is hilarious!  

We all know that Kenny and Charles think WAYYYY more of themselves than they should -- but the same is true of Cuban as well.  Just because he hit it big in the dot.com era it means he is an astute basketball genius?  Just look at the deals that HE pulled the trigger on last year and it's obvious that he knows how to spend money but he isn't a basketball genius.
Its really hard to disagree with Barkley and Smith.  Charles was dead on when he said "I will never in a thousand years know about computers like him or ever have as much money as him but he will never know as much about basketball as I do"  Really its the truth.  Barkley and Smith both have actually played pro basketball at a high level which is alot more than Cuban has played, which at this point is 0 minutes and 0 games.

I spit my soda out when he called the Mavs a soft, cupcake team and then he went on to diss this UGLY blue Mavs jerseys slash suit that he had on.  His way of "taking a shot" at the dress code required for players.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 11:44:22 AM »
Hey, Skander - did you hear that?  You just got called an idiot by Mark Cuban!

After all, you were saying *EXACTLY* what Smith/Barkley were saying about the poor choices the Mavericks were making on defending the pick-and-roll!  You must be an idiot, too.

Tell me something - does *ANYONE* here disagree with the things that Smith and Barkley said which got Cuban to call them "idiots"?  I know I sure don't.  I didn't quite agree with Barkley in that only bad defensive teams switch, since I've seen a number of George Karl Sonic teams that were very good defensively that switched EVERYTHING and did it quite well.  But had Nash been feeding Marion on Terry at the front of the rim on Tuesday instead of hoisting so many shots, Phoenix would have won that game.

Someone needs to teach...well...pretty much everyone who has faced Phoenix so far this year and a significant number of folks who faced them last year how to "pancake" the pick-and-roll - to smash the pick man on both sides, and show on Nash aggressively and force Nash to make difficult passes against pressure instead of easy ones without pressure.  And heck, that leads you right into what you want to do to Nash anyway - bump him, bruise him, beat him up.  Why no one does this is just amazing.

I'm with Barkley on this one;  I love Cuban, but on this, he's completely wrong.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 12:03:16 PM »
I don't remember Charles saying cupcake, I remember him saying soft cake team, which IMO is way funnier.  Soft cake team is something you would here on a playground, cupcake I'd expect to hear from a white guy at a private gym.

Charles comments were funny as hell.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 12:05:07 PM »
Hahaha.  I love Barkley.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 12:08:47 PM »
Hey, Skander - did you hear that?  You just got called an idiot by Mark Cuban!

After all, you were saying *EXACTLY* what Smith/Barkley were saying about the poor choices the Mavericks were making on defending the pick-and-roll!  You must be an idiot, too.

Tell me something - does *ANYONE* here disagree with the things that Smith and Barkley said which got Cuban to call them "idiots"?  I know I sure don't.  I didn't quite agree with Barkley in that only bad defensive teams switch, since I've seen a number of George Karl Sonic teams that were very good defensively that switched EVERYTHING and did it quite well.  But had Nash been feeding Marion on Terry at the front of the rim on Tuesday instead of hoisting so many shots, Phoenix would have won that game.

Someone needs to teach...well...pretty much everyone who has faced Phoenix so far this year and a significant number of folks who faced them last year how to "pancake" the pick-and-roll - to smash the pick man on both sides, and show on Nash aggressively and force Nash to make difficult passes against pressure instead of easy ones without pressure.  And heck, that leads you right into what you want to do to Nash anyway - bump him, bruise him, beat him up.  Why no one does this is just amazing.

I'm with Barkley on this one;  I love Cuban, but on this, he's completely wrong.
I dont disagree with what they said at all.  They were making bad decisions and getting burned for it.  You don't have to be  a basketball genius of Mark Cuban's caliber to see that the way they approached it was wrong.

This is going to be a great back and forth between Mark and Charles because both will say anything they want about one another.  For once Charles doesnt look like the a-hole.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 12:09:04 PM by westkoast »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 12:09:16 PM »
Towards the end of the Heat/Pacers game they cut away to Studio J where Kenny and Charles were asked if they knew what a blog was.  Charles made some snide comments about the computer and said he knew the blog was something to do with the Internet and thats it.  Then they go into reading what Mark Cuban recently posted on his blog, I dont remember word for word, but it was something along the lines of if they were so smart why have they not been head coaches in this league.   Kenny and Charles then went into a tiny rant about how theyve been in big games, Barkley has an MVP, they've played in all-star games, etc etc.  The whole time Charles keeps saying "I have love for Mark but he will never in a thousand years know as much about basketball as me" right before they cut out to commercial Barkley says "or else he wouldnt have put together that soft cupcake team"  OUCH

Thoughts?  Personally I thought it was funny as hell.
LMAO!! that's is soo funny and soo true.  Mark Cuban, has a fans perspective, and thats it.  Charles and Kenny may not always say what you like, but they played and should know what they are talking about.  and yes, Dallas is a soft cupcake team.  I saw one reporters predictions that DALLAS would defeat the Spurs in the WCF and win it all, i was like WHAT????  where did THIS come from?  no way no how will Dallas contend with us in the WC.  This guy must have been on crack or something because it is the single worst predition of this season that I have read.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 12:10:39 PM »
I don't remember Charles saying cupcake, I remember him saying soft cake team, which IMO is way funnier.  Soft cake team is something you would here on a playground, cupcake I'd expect to hear from a white guy at a private gym.

Charles comments were funny as hell.
was it a soft cake team?  He kinda did a mumbling type thing and I burst into laughter when I heard it.

*shakes head at self for sounding like a white guy at a private gym*

Wait! I am a white guy but I dont play at a private gym =[

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 12:13:05 PM »
One other thing, no half time report team holds my interest except for these clowns.  They are funny because they are mostly honest and sometimes ignorant.  Honest and ignorant is an awesome combo for humor.

Charles has a long history with the Mavs.  Nash was told about some comments Barkley made about the Mavs not having a championship makeup to which Nash responded, "what does Charles know about championships".  Dirk was told about the comments Charles made about toughness, defense, rebounding and the Mavs being soft to which Dirk responded "idiot" and walked away.  LOL!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 12:16:59 PM »
You spell coast with a "k", I didn't put you on "white guy".

No friggin way you're white, no FRIGGIN way!

What is this world comming too?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 12:22:14 PM »

I am italiano even though my last name (if you still remember it) doesnt sound very italian.

I spell coast with a 'K' because it stands out more.  Not to be hip.  Switched to that after I decided 'CaliKid' was a corny name at MSNBC.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 12:37:11 PM »

I am italiano even though my last name (if you still remember it) doesnt sound very italian.

I spell coast with a 'K' because it stands out more.  Not to be hip.  Switched to that after I decided 'CaliKid' was a corny name at MSNBC.
Italiano huh?  Need to dig up my WOP jokes.  The funniest guy I've ever met is a knuckle dragging WOP.  He knows some great jokes and can do all the voices, Indian/Paki, Asian, Hispanic, Black etc...  He's a riot.

His wife is Sicilan, he loves quoting her Dennis Hopper's lines from the movie True Romance.  "So you're Sicilian?"  That was an amazing exchange between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walkin in that movie.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 12:48:53 PM »

Italiano huh?  Need to dig up my WOP jokes.  The funniest guy I've ever met is a knuckle dragging WOP.  He knows some great jokes and can do all the voices, Indian/Paki, Asian, Hispanic, Black etc...  He's a riot.

His wife is Sicilan, he loves quoting her Dennis Hopper's lines from the movie True Romance.  "So you're Sicilian?"  That was an amazing exchange between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walkin in that movie.
Let me just put into perspective exactly how Italian my family is (my family is sicilian) we have homemade pizza, dough and everything, during Thanksgiving.  We have the normal dinner everyone has and then pizza as another dish.  The young kids in the family love it, with their alloated one glass of red wine.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 02:42:44 PM »
Hate to digress from the lovely side conversation between Fredo and Michael, but...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no funnier show than Inside the NBA.  What I find the most hilarious is that Charles and to a lesser extent Kenny still have no idea where the obscure line of 'going too far' is for national cable TV.  Ernie Johnson is as professional a sports anchor as there is today and its a riot watching him turn different shades of red-violet after Charles has publicly humiliated an entire geographical location.  

Basketball knowledge wise, there aren't too many who are gonna say it like it is, like Charles and Kenny.  Kenny has a bad habit of stating the obvious and Charles likes generalizing a touch, but generally their synopsis is spot on.  Magic isn't bad and I have a feeling Reggie will be really really good.  His sister is one of the most underrated sideline reporters for basketball.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About the Mavericks or any other team for that reason playing Phoenix, I would put my top two perimeter defenders on Shawn Marion and Kurt Thomas.  I don't care if you're top perimeter defender is Earl Boykins, stick him on Marion and when they pick and roll, now Steve Nash is going to have to deal with a great perimeter defender instead of (Dirk Nowitzki, Kwame Brown, Kenny Thomas) -- <insert slow footed big man here>-- and I think teams would have more success.  Although Shawn Marion is a talented offensive player, he isn't a back to the basket post threat.  If Dallas had placed Darryl Armstrong (Harris, Daniels, Howard) on Marion instead of Dirk Nowitzki, I don't think Phoenix pushes it to a 17 point lead.  The ONLY TEAM in the NBA who is gonna get away with putting their Center on Marion is Detroit because they have Ben Wallace (who is just as good of a perimeter defender as you'll find).  Also would someone please show AGGRESSIVELY on that pick and roll, for christ sakes people, you know exactly what Phoenix is gonna do in the half court, do what it takes to stop it.  Grow some huevos and force Phoenix to beat you some other way.        
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."