Author Topic: Turiaf shows up at training camp . . .  (Read 1414 times)

Guest_Randy

Turiaf shows up at training camp . . .
« on: October 05, 2005, 10:09:54 AM »
I like this guy a LOT!  Cut in the same mold as AC Green, Brian Grant, etc.  A warrior on and off the court.  I'd love to see him in a Laker uniform next year -- hope he continues to recover at this pace!

HONOLULU -- While the Los Angeles Lakers went through their first practice of training camp Tuesday, a familiar face shot around on the side.

Ronny Turiaf was simply taking another step in his recovery from open-heart surgery.

"I'm feeling great. I'm feeling fantastic. I'm alive," Turiaf said. "I'm working out every day. I'm just doing everything I can to be on the basketball court, so I'm doing good."

Turiaf, a 6-foot-9 forward from Gonzaga chosen by the Lakers with the 35th pick in June's NBA draft, underwent surgery July 26 to repair an enlarged aortic root.

His future as a basketball player is undetermined.

"He's our draft choice. He's in his recovery phase," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said. "We want to keep him as close to the organization as possible. He's not under contract. It's really something he does on his own."

Turiaf said he doesn't know when he'll be able to play again. But he does hope to play for the Lakers some day.

"I have to prove to people I still can play because it was a pretty big surgery," he said.

Turiaf's contract with the Lakers was voided when the potentially life-threatening condition was discovered in a post-draft physical, but the team paid for his pre-operation medical costs and the cost of the surgery.

His post-operation costs are being paid through a fund approved by the NCAA and administered by Gonzaga for student-athletes in situations similar to Turiaf's.

"I'm going to do what the doctor tells me to do and I'm not going to do anything stupid because I want to play basketball," he said. "I'm in a position, if I do something stupid, I'm going to have to go back and get cut again and I don't want that to happen. Believe me, I'm not going to do anything stupid."

When asked if it was difficult watching the Lakers work out, Turiaf replied: "What do you think? I'm sitting on the sideline and see the guys practicing and I just want to be out there and help them in any way."

Kupchak said it's possible Turiaf will play this season.

"We're taking it month-by-month," Kupchak said. "He's considerably away from being cleared by doctors. A lot depends on the roster situation and where we are as a team. There are certain scenarios where if our roster dictates it and he's ready to go, it's a possibility."

Said Turiaf: "I want to be back tomorrow."

Lakers spokesman John Black said Turiaf flew in on his own from Spokane, Wash., on Monday and would remain with the team for a few days.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 11:31:02 AM »
I agree Randy, I love this kid.  I'm bummed he can't play this season and possibly longer, if ever.  But on the flip side, I'm happy they caught his heart condition and maybe saved his life.  

I didn't expect him to be the Lakers' savior this season by any stretch.  But I feel this kid, if and when healthy can give this team a solid 10-20 minutes of bangin' and hustle off of the bench every night, which is something the Lakers desperately need.  

I hope he continues to recover and can play next year.  If his heart (the intangible one, not the organ) and attitude are any indication ... I have no doubt he will.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 03:52:05 PM »
msc,

I didn't expect Turiaf to be the "savior" the Lakers needed -- simply a strong role player who was willing to dive for every loose ball and every rebound.  I LOVE those kind of players -- players who are going to play hard every second of every game they are on the court -- and scream for their team when they go to the bench.  

I wish this guy good health and a great life -- but here's hoping that he will be healthy enough to put on purple and gold.   :cheers:  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 08:56:24 AM »
I have to disagree with both of you.  Taking a page out of the Reality/Ricko play book.  Turiaf was going to probably average 20 pts 10 rbs in the NBA and be comparrable to Amare Stoudamire.  With his heart problem we will never know.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 10:34:33 AM »
msc,

I didn't expect Turiaf to be the "savior" the Lakers needed -- simply a strong role player who was willing to dive for every loose ball and every rebound.  I LOVE those kind of players -- players who are going to play hard every second of every game they are on the court -- and scream for their team when they go to the bench. 

I wish this guy good health and a great life -- but here's hoping that he will be healthy enough to put on purple and gold.   :cheers:
Randy, completely agreed  :cheers:  I didn't mean to imply that you were saying that (savior) in your post ... that was just my own reaction when we drafted him.  I only watched him play a couple of times when he was at Gonzaga, but was impressed with his hustle, rebounding, and awareness around the basket.  Kind of like a Mark Madson, only less of a spazz, more athletic on the offensive side of the court, and no doubt a better dancer.    

WOW, you've convinced me ... we may have lost the next Amare Stoudemire for the season, but at least we have nothing to worry about nest year when he comes back to light the NBA up for 20/10 a night.  Pass me the kool-aid  :cheers:

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 10:38:55 AM »
WOW, you've convinced me ... we may have lost the next Amare Stoudemire for the season, but at least we have nothing to worry about nest year when he comes back to light the NBA up for 20/10 a night.  Pass me the kool-aid  :cheers:
Could you imagine a starting line-up of Kobe, Garnett (Kwame) and Amare (Turiaf)?  It would have been a historic run, alas we'll have to wait for the next Shaq (Bryumn) to develop, it could take the entire half season.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 11:37:38 AM »
I have to disagree with both of you.  Taking a page out of the Reality/Ricko play book.  Turiaf was going to probably average 20 pts 10 rbs in the NBA and be comparrable to Amare Stoudamire.  With his heart problem we will never know.
WOW,

Apparently, you are unaware Reality's equation:

1)  Players who play for the Spurs will realize their previous stats by a factor of +2.5.

2)  Players who play for the rest of the league will realize their stats by a factor of +1.

3)  Players who play for the Lakers will realize their previous stats by a factor of -5.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 12:02:16 PM »
Can I ask why you guys are so up on him?  He hasnt played a lick of ball yet!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 01:30:02 PM »
WOW, you've convinced me ... we may have lost the next Amare Stoudemire for the season, but at least we have nothing to worry about nest year when he comes back to light the NBA up for 20/10 a night.  Pass me the kool-aid  :cheers:
Could you imagine a starting line-up of Kobe, Garnett (Kwame) and Amare (Turiaf)?  It would have been a historic run, alas we'll have to wait for the next Shaq (Bryumn) to develop, it could take the entire half season.
WOW, I'm salavating thinking of that line-up ... although I think you missed a couple ... here's how it will look ...  

Starting Lineup next season:

PG: Pippen (Odom)
SG: Jordan (Kobe)
SF:  Garnett (Kwame)
PF:  Amare (Turiaf)
Center: Shaq (Bynum)

Enjoy it this season Spurs, because you're going down next year!  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 02:08:42 PM »
Can I ask why you guys are so up on him?  He hasnt played a lick of ball yet!
I watched him play a bit at Gonzag -- he is just a tough hard-nosed basketball player -- can't help but like his attitude.  He isn't a gifted skilled player -- but he's a great rebounder and he doesn't mind sacrificing skin for loose balls.  He's a better type of Mark Madsen (definately has more offensive skills -- although he isn't an offensive player but his defense and rebounding are better than Madsen's -- just that kind of attitude).