Author Topic: WHEW!!! Do you Smell that?!  (Read 11550 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
WHEW!!! Do you Smell that?!
« on: October 04, 2005, 11:03:37 PM »
Mike Monroe: Jackson ready to take his shot at challenging Spurs
Web Posted: 10/04/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — According to Phil Jackson, the Spurs' run to the 2005 NBA championship was a miracle.

Don't get excited, San Antonians. He meant it not as an insult, but a compliment, mostly to the perseverance of Tim Duncan.
"It was a miracle that Tim was able to go through the Olympics and go through the season with the injuries that he had and be strong enough to finish," said Jackson, the man San Antonians love to hate. "That was a very, very excruciating season for him. But the other guys really stepped up. (Manu) Ginobili, in particular, really stepped up with a championship effort the last three games."

Jackson hasn't changed all that much, mind you. He still despises the Spurs, but in a respectful rival sort of way. He watched their playoff run and marveled, like the rest of the basketball loving world, at the clutch shooting of Robert Horry, who once knocked in big shots for him.

"Of course I was ecstatic for Robert," Jackson said. "We weren't ecstatic for the Spurs, but certainly for Robert. He's a great performer, and that was one of the great performances in the history of the game."

Jackson took his first steps on a familiar path Monday, holding court at the Lakers' media day before he and his players headed to Honolulu for training camp.

After a year away from the NBA, Jackson is back on the Lakers' bench, facing the biggest challenge of his career. In 14 seasons as an NBA head coach, Jackson never has failed to make the playoffs, but most experts think this will be the first. He is directing a team that didn't even have the best record in L.A. last season, finishing behind the Clippers.

The Lakers didn't do much to improve the roster over the summer, either. Their big move was the addition of a player whose most distinctive achievement thus far has been qualifying for consideration as one of the all-time worst No.1 overall draft picks.

Then there is the Kobe factor. Jackson wrote a book after the 2003-04 season in which he called Kobe Bryant "uncoachable," and disclosed that he asked GM Mitch Kupchak to trade Bryant. Now, the two are reunited and insisting there are no hard feelings, which makes you wonder if Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt are about to announce their intention to remarry.

Jackson asserts he loves challenges, but he knows what lies ahead, at least this season.

"You ask me that in March, and we'll see how fun it is," he said. "But I am looking forward to it."

Jackson said it was tough to watch the Lakers play last season because they lost their competitiveness, which sounds like saying they packed it in when things got tough.

"What we're trying to do is establish the competitive nature of this organization again," he said. "Last year, they lost their competitive edge, and this year, we're trying to re-establish that, and the first thing you do is try and get to the playoffs. That establishes that."

It won't be easy. Jackson doesn't yet know which players will be his starting five. His roster will be among the league's youngest. There is a leadership vacuum Bryant needs to fill.

But Jackson, ever the optimist, compares this Lakers group to his 1994-95 Bulls who began the season without Michael Jordan after the departures of several other key pieces of the first three-peat Bulls run.

"The (1994-95) team was very similar to this," Jackson said. "We'd had Michael leave the year before. We'd had a very successful year, a great run with, I think, 11 players from our championship teams. Toni Kukoc was added to our team. The following year, a number of guys — Horace Grant, (Bill) Cartwright, (John) Paxson, all retired and moved on. We had a totally new team that had to find a way to go and play again.

"Michael came back the final 17 games of the year and made it an exciting season for us, but it was a struggle year. We learned a lot about our players, and we learned a lot about the makeup that eventually led to the next year being as successful as it was. We won 72 games the next year, with the addition of Dennis Rodman. As you can see, we were able to put it together the next season."

That 1994-95 season produced the fewest number of victories, 47, in any of Jackson's years on the Bulls' and Lakers' benches. In the 2005-06 Western Conference, it will be a miracle if the Lakers match that number.

If they do, Jackson should be Coach of the Year for just the second time in a career that has earned him nine championship rings.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 12:09:44 AM »
Smells good to me.  He is absolutely accurate.  The additions of Fabrico and Finley will give the Spurses more versatilty and rest for Dunkar.

Let see if he reverts to Smug Punk after a few trips to SBC.  Phildo seems to be playing it just right tho.  He knows this year is very iffy and is attempting to build for next year.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 08:14:34 AM »
So you are saying Phil Jackson is saying BS when he was speaking the truth and giving the Spurs compliments?  :D

I love how Phil can ruffle feathers even by giving compliments.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 08:17:10 AM »
Spursey, when does PJ say the Lakers are challenging the Spurs?  You need to reread the article and highlight the reporters words and differentiate them from PJ's words -- the only words that PJ says that are close in that department is about rebuilding for next year (and adding a few pieces like he did with the Bulls).  The only words that I see that are remotely "anti-Spurs" is that he doesn't like the Spurs -- I can't see anything wrong with that statement!   :cheers:

Reality, same with your post -- PJ doesn't say anything about the Spurs other than the fact that he doesn't like them, TD did a great job, Ginob played great in the last three games, etc.  No where does he comment on their chances for this year!

Spursey, I expect this kind of bandwagon vision impairment from Reality -- but go back and reread this article, I don't think you will read PJ stating anything resembling challenging the Spurs.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 09:13:56 AM »
Spursey, when does PJ say the Lakers are challenging the Spurs?  You need to reread the article and highlight the reporters words and differentiate them from PJ's words -- the only words that PJ says that are close in that department is about rebuilding for next year (and adding a few pieces like he did with the Bulls).  The only words that I see that are remotely "anti-Spurs" is that he doesn't like the Spurs -- I can't see anything wrong with that statement!   :cheers:

Reality, same with your post -- PJ doesn't say anything about the Spurs other than the fact that he doesn't like them, TD did a great job, Ginob played great in the last three games, etc.  No where does he comment on their chances for this year!

Spursey, I expect this kind of bandwagon vision impairment from Reality -- but go back and reread this article, I don't think you will read PJ stating anything resembling challenging the Spurs.
Oh I read the article, dont worry.  I just do NOT put much into what PJ is saying - even if he is trying to be nice.  It's like setting up a jab before you come in hard for the big punch.  Just watch.  PJ will have some sort of addendum, or clarification to what he said as we go down the road.  Either way, the sound of PJ is usually a sign that a good season is about to start  :rolleyes:   Kind of like Groundhogs Day.  Our team has a lot of expectation on it right now.  If there was ANY Spurs team that had a chance to repeat as champions - IT'S THIS ONE.  man I'm psyched. can't wait to get this season underway!    :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 09:56:06 AM »
Phil Jackson is the master of the "left-handed compliment."  You know, something like:  "You know, you really look good now that you're not so fat."

If I were Phil, my answers to the press would be, "Yes," "No," and "We'll see."  The *LAST* thing I would be doing is encouraging a Spurs team to single out my team for pummelling.  All Phil needs is for an angry  Bruce Bowen to get under Bryant's ankle, and he can kiss this season goodbye.  And worse yet, two people can play at the mind game.  How long before Robert Horry starts saying to Kobe Bryant, "You're nothing without Phil," challenging Bryant to prove that he *IS*, thereby starting new conflicts in Los Angeles?

Now is Phil's time to LOSE the ego, and prove that he can coach by the X's and O's - to prove that he's more than just a front-runner.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 10:04:47 AM »
Joe,

If I were PJ, that's what I'd do -- but PJ LOVES to be the center of attention -- and he was ALWAYS just as much an egomaniac as Kobe and Shaq.

As for an X's and O's guy, I've never thought of PJ in that regards -- Tex was a master at X's and O's -- PJ had an ability to reach players and get their best from them.

I'm not a PJ fan but I can't agree that he is just a "frontrunner" coach.  Sure, he took a team with Shaq and Kobe and won three titles (along with six in Chicago with MJ and co.).  But let's not forget that the Lakers team was even MORE loaded before PJ came along (Shaq, Elden Campbell, Rick Fox, Eddie Jones, Kobe Bryant, Nick Van Excel, etc.) and Del Harris couldn't manage to take them deep into the playoffs.  

PJ has a LONG history of making players look GREAT in his offense:  Bill Wennington, Fisher, Luc Longley, Paxson, Kukoc, Pippen, etc.  He has maximized their potential (granted, I give Tex Winters a LOT of credit in this area) and a lot of players have been given huge contracts on other teams and have looked horrible after being traded.  I think you have to give PJ his due -- he has already accomplished great things in Chicago and LA -- you can't take those things away from him no matter what happens in LA.  And I wouldn't expect ANY coach to get the current roster of Lakers past the first round of the playoffs -- getting them IN the playoffs in the West would be enough of an accomplishment for me!

rickortreat

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 10:18:32 AM »
Phil Jackson is an opportunist.  And his teams in Chicago and LA were already established teams before he got to them.  He hasn't proven to anyone that he can build a team from scratch, and this is his chance to do that.

Larry Brown has built teams from the ground up and gotten to the finals.  Red Auerbach built the best team and they lasted for years.  Phil Jackson hasn't done anything even close to accomplishing what those two did.

Now Phil has to shut up.  There's no point in saying anything about any other team, when your team is uncompetitive.  It's going to take Phil a long time to assemble a respectable team for the Lakers.

He'll be very lucky to maket the playoffs this year.  Even luckier than Tim Duncan was to be able to play through last season!

The real question should be, "how long will it be until Phil is able to get the Lakers back to respectability, much less contend for a title.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 10:38:20 AM »
Phil Jackson is an opportunist. And his teams in Chicago and LA were already established teams before he got to them. He hasn't proven to anyone that he can build a team from scratch, and this is his chance to do that.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 10:53:44 AM »
Phil Jackson is an opportunist. And his teams in Chicago and LA were already established teams before he got to them. He hasn't proven to anyone that he can build a team from scratch, and this is his chance to do that.

PJ is an opportunist?  He's a COACH, Rick -- NOT a GM!  It's not MOST coaches jobs to build a team -- it's their job to build individual players and COACH their team.  The Lakers had the talent in place but they hadn't gone ANYWHERE had they?  

Larry Brown has built teams from the ground up and gotten to the finals. Red Auerbach built the best team and they lasted for years. Phil Jackson hasn't done anything even close to accomplishing what those two did.

So Brown was an opportunist when he went to Detroit -- he didn't build that team did he?  He went to a team that was ALREADY built up.  How many of the teams did Brown coach that he was also the GM who "built that team from the ground up?"

You can say all you want about PJ but look at what the Lakers did before PJ arrived into LA and after -- you CAN'T say that guy hasn't achieved anything.  Just because he didn't build the team in LA or Chicago doesn't mean he didn't accomplish anything.

However, I would suggest you stop and look at what happened during his tenure as a coach:  
1)  Look at the players who left or retired during the Bulls 6 year run at a title:  Cartwright, Paxson, Hodges, Grant, etc.
2)  Look at players who were added during their title runs:  Longley, Wennington, Kukoc, Rodman, Kerr, etc.

There WERE some important cogs in the Bulls wheels who left during their championship runs -- Cartwright and Grant were replaced with Longley and Rodman -- Hodges and Paxson were replaced with Kerr, etc.  Sure, MJ and Pip were constant but to say that all the pieces were there and PJ simply had to play them is erroneous.  The pieces were in place, obviously, for the first championship -- however, the pieces became interchangeable and PJ is the one who made that happen.  

Also, if Pip was such a phenomenal player -- then didn't he have the same success in Houston and Portland that he did in Chicago?  Unless you believe MJ was so good that he beat teams single-handedly.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 11:11:25 AM »
Randy...if you say it is the GM's job to build the team then how can you give PJ credit for adding players to Chicago's roster?  Kind of talking out both sides isn't it?

Also you state that you beleive that Tex was the mastermind behind PJ's success then go on to defend how great a coach that PJ is.  

PJ is a great motivator and handler of egos.  Period.  Nothing else.  Unfortunately this season he doesn't need those skills as much as in the past.  What he needs is the ability to coach.  The ability to know when to get off your arse during a game and call timeout.  The ability to draw up plays when the clock is running out.  The ability to work with Xs and Os.  These are his weaknesses as a coach and IMO will be greatly spotlighted this season in LA LA land.  Please just use some of that great objectivity you always claim to have in abundant supply.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 11:28:58 AM »
Please show me where I have ever claimed to show objectivity?  I've stated that I TRY to be objective -- there is a difference.

Also, I STILL stand behind what I say -- it's a coaches job to coach -- a GM's job to add/change personell.  However, IF Rick is going to insist on his way of thinking then he needs to consider the personell moves that Chicago made.  IMO, this was Krause, not PJ, making these decisions -- and there were some GREAT moves in there (although I'm sure that most any coach gets SOME input on personell decisions).  It is amazing to me how great Krause did during those years compared to the ridiculous moves that have been made since MJ.

What I DO give PJ credit for IS the following:
  1)  He has surrounded himself with the best assistants possible.  Does he get ANY credit for having Tex as an assistant?  Of course he does -- because there are coaches who don't want decent assistants (see JVG).
  2)  He knows how to get the most from his players (although I will still give some of this credit to Winters X's and O's).
  3)  He knows how to reach players (motivate them, etc.).

It will be interesting to see how PJ does -- but to say that he isn't a great coach just simply isn't correct, IMO.  There is definately a LOT more to coaching (esp. these days) than X's and O's.  And I'm VERY interested to see how PJ does in the X's and O's department.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 11:30:55 AM »
Phil Jackson is the master of the "left-handed compliment."  You know, something like:  "You know, you really look good now that you're not so fat."

If I were Phil, my answers to the press would be, "Yes," "No," and "We'll see."  The *LAST* thing I would be doing is encouraging a Spurs team to single out my team for pummelling.  All Phil needs is for an angry  Bruce Bowen to get under Bryant's ankle, and he can kiss this season goodbye.  And worse yet, two people can play at the mind game.  How long before Robert Horry starts saying to Kobe Bryant, "You're nothing without Phil," challenging Bryant to prove that he *IS*, thereby starting new conflicts in Los Angeles?

Now is Phil's time to LOSE the ego, and prove that he can coach by the X's and O's - to prove that he's more than just a front-runner.
Whether Phil Jackson made 'left handed compliments' or not that still wouldn't keep the Spurs from wanting to kick the crap out of the Lakers.  They want to win everynight and have plenty of other reasons for wanting to kick Laker butt...one of which includes beating the Spurs 3 years ago and then not getting the job done in the finals when the Spurs would have smacked the Pistons around.

I dont blame you guys for not giving PJ the benefit of the doubt on his compliments but he is dead on.  It is amazing that TD was able to play strong down the stretch after not having any time to rest and suffering injuries.  Manu also did play very well in the last 3 games.  He isnt saying anything different than Spurs and Laker fans have been saying....but it is PJ  :up:

Yea Lurker...PJ cant coach the ONLY things he can do is juggle egos  :rolleyes:  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 11:31:36 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 12:36:56 PM »
All I give Phil credit for is the ability to determine if a team is ready to step up to the highest level of the NBA, and BS his way into the coaching spot.

With MJ, and a weak league, Phil didn't need to do a whole lot of tinkering, simply replace the old role players with new ones.  Pippen was always overated, which is why he was a failure once he left Chcago.

Both Coaches and GM's have input on any decent team.  Brown certainly had input on all the teams he managed to get into the playoffs.  It wasn't just Billy King in Philly that enabled that run.  Even in Detroit, where he WAS AN OPPORTUNIST, just like Phil, he still worked the trade that brought in the missing piece Rasheed Wallace that made the Pistons worthy of a championship.  When did Phil add a player of that significance in either LA or Chi. (And don't mention those pussies Malone and Payton- over the hill, desparate for a championship and not good enough anymore to do it on their own!)

I allways thought Phil was a fraud.  If he was so good with ego's then why did Shaq and Kobe split!?  If he's so cool why did he write that Kobe was uncoachable?  

Finally we get to see Phil with a team near bottom.  They have Kobe and that's about it in terms of NBA talent.  If he builds a decent team in two years or less and gets them to the finals within four years, I'll shut about about Phil.

He can take his Zen and stick it up this year loosing streak, LA LA style!

B)  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 12:46:23 PM »
koast....can PJ be considered even a good coach?  It is hard to really determine.  Most everyone here will agree that he (Tex) has a good system (triangle) that works well when given the best talent on the floor (Shaq/Kobe, MJ/Pippen).  But PJ himself has said that he doesn't like to call timeouts and prefers for his players "to figure it out themselves".  

Can the guy really coach?  Look at the two years in Chicago without MJ....and with a team that knew the system and their roles in it well.  He struggled to get them into the playoffs.  Without the top talent in the league he became a middle of the road coach.  The great system worked well enough but it was missing the superstar engine.

Now he is taking on a team that doesn't have the top talent in the league, little to no experience with the triangle and no mastermind to teach it to the players.  Only time will tell but IMO PJ will be exposed as a fraud when it comes to being ranked with the top coaches.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues