Author Topic: Sonics sign Radmanovic to 1 yr qualifying offer .  (Read 891 times)

Guest_Randy

Sonics sign Radmanovic to 1 yr qualifying offer .
« on: September 22, 2005, 02:15:02 PM »
Vlad is signing a 1 year deal because he wants to "cash in" on the FA next year.  Umm, cash in on WHAT?  A guy that can shoot the 3?  Well, he shot 39% last year -- the best of his career but I wouldn't call that amazing or anything.  His defense?  Less than adequate.  His rebounding?  Decent -- that's about it.  How about passing?  Perhaps he is adequate, I'm probably say less than average in this department.  He has no post game, doesn't slash well to the basket (although this part of his game has gotten a LITTLE better) but he can run the open floor.  

Umm, there's a reason why nobody was beating your door down, Vlad -- you are a simple role player who wants to be payed star money.  The league is full of those guys!  Who knows -- maybe somebody will pay him more money to disappoint a new fan base.  The league is full of those guys too!

SEATTLE -- Vladimir Radmanovic has signed a one-year qualifying offer to stay with the SuperSonics, the team said Wednesday.

General manager Rick Sund called the reserve forward "a multi-positional player who can shoot the three, and he's a good fit with our team."

Radmanovic, 24, has played four seasons in the NBA, averaging 11.8 points and 4.6 rebounds per game in 63 games for the Sonics last year.

Seattle selected him as the 12th pick in the first round of the 2001 NBA Draft.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 11:38:16 PM »
Vlad is signing a 1 year deal because he wants to "cash in" on the FA next year.  Umm, cash in on WHAT?  A guy that can shoot the 3?  Well, he shot 39% last year -- the best of his career but I wouldn't call that amazing or anything.
Nonetheless a good sign by the Sonics.  
30th overall in both 3pt % and # of attempts shows potential.  He is only 24, at a crossroads.  I don't know how dedicated he is but if he wants to continue in the mental aspect of the game, he can become pretty good for prime ages 25-30.  I dont think his rebounding sucks as much as you do as Fortson grabs a lot of the Sonics boards as the designated rebounder.

Yeah agree he is nowhere near top money talent player.  

1 year contract, 3 mil very small contract in overblown NBA terms.  Playing for a bigger contract.  I think the Sonics did fine, provided he does not become some stat hound trying to get his agent pufffed up negotiation "numbers" that do not contribute to Sonic wins.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 07:17:13 AM »
Reality,

Rad is a decent rebounder -- nothing more.  Remember, I've been watching this guy when they were starting him and Danny Fortson wasn't even around -- his rebounding wasn't any better, even when they gave him some time at PF (which was a big mistake).

He comes off the bench now which, IMO, is where he belongs.  I think this is a great sign for the Sonics -- I just think he has an overvalued opinion of his worth (of course, that's about par for the NBA these days).  I don't think he will get a ton of offers next year but I'll probably be surprised.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 07:20:58 AM »
By-the-way, I forgot to mention that he left a 6 year, $42 million dollar contract on the table that he walked away from.  IMO, he isn't worth $7 mill a year.  He isn't even a STARTER!  I'm glad he didn't take it -- at least from the Sonics position -- he isn't worth it -- he's more of a $5 mill a year player, IMO.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 11:47:15 AM »
"a multi-positional player "

WHAT?!  Technically every player is a multi-positional player then.  You can put any average size 3 in as a PG, SG, or SF....but just because you put them there doesnt make them a multi-positional player.

Randy...they had him play as a PF?  :rofl:  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 11:48:15 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 01:17:19 PM »
He's 6'10" and build and heighth wise he LOOKS like he could play the PF position better than Lamar Odom, for instance.  The problem is that he has ZERO post game, he's not very agressive on the boards and he shies from physical play.  He would RATHER sit outside and shoot 3's.  While you like scoring some three's -- with Rad you lose defensive intensity and rebounding.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 01:31:21 PM »
He's 6'10" and build and heighth wise he LOOKS like he could play the PF position better than Lamar Odom, for instance.  The problem is that he has ZERO post game, he's not very agressive on the boards and he shies from physical play.  He would RATHER sit outside and shoot 3's.  While you like scoring some three's -- with Rad you lose defensive intensity and rebounding.
Didnt realize he was so tall...thought he was like 6'8 or so.  I guess when you play so far away from the basket you look smaller than normal  :D

You lose alot of second chance points when one of the biggest players on your team is 30 feet from the front of the rim.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com