Author Topic: Heat and Spurs add extra preseason game  (Read 2744 times)

Guest_Randy

Heat and Spurs add extra preseason game
« on: September 08, 2005, 08:26:11 PM »
MIAMI -- The Miami Heat and the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs will play each other in an extra exhibition game to raise money for Hurricane Katrina relief.

The game will be played Oct. 10 in Miami. It will be the first preseason game for both teams.

As the host team, the Heat will donate all its proceeds from ticket sales, concessions, parking and retail sales to the American Red Cross. Another contribution will be made to a still-undetermined charity on behalf of the Heat, the Spurs, the NBA and the league players' association.

Tickets will be sold at regular season prices, in an effort to maximize the contribution.

Along with the revenue donation, selected vendors providing the employees who would normally work at American Airlines Arena for games will donate their service fee, and all arena employees will donate their time for that night's game.

Players will greet ticket holders at the arena's doors before the game and sign autographs for fans afterward.

Several Heat players are already involved in other charity efforts related to Katrina relief. Dwyane Wade will join several top NBA stars, including LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett, for a charity game in Houston on Sunday.

Shaquille O'Neal and his wife, Shaunie, are coordinating a major relief effort designed to help victims. O'Neal, the Heat's 12-time All-Star center, played his college basketball in Baton Rouge at LSU.

Props to these two teams and their players (as well as the players in the charity game).  Not just will ticket sales be given to the relief effort but all parking, concession and retail purchases.  It makes it a LOT easier to purchase a $5 coke!

guest-koast

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 08:56:18 PM »
You know Shaq is doing something too...but doesnt want the press for it.  Hes probably doing something real big.

SA's always been a classy organization so this doesnt suprise me the least bit.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 09:05:08 PM »
When you add time and money together, I'd lay money there isn't a player in the NBA who gives more to charity than Shaq does.  Lots of NBA players give money -- first, it's required of them; second, they need the tax write-off, and they like to look good doing it.  But Shaq amazes me, not just with the amount of money he gives (heck, he can afford that) but with the amount of TIME he gives.  I would be VERY surprised if there is another NBA player who gives as much time to charity and helping others as Shaq does.  I've never really been a huge Shaq fan but I DEFINATELY admire his giving of his most precious resource -- his TIME!  

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 09:11:45 AM »
When you add time and money together, I'd lay money there isn't a player in the NBA who gives more to charity than Shaq does. Lots of NBA players give money -- first, it's required of them; second, they need the tax write-off, and they like to look good doing it. But Shaq amazes me, not just with the amount of money he gives (heck, he can afford that) but with the amount of TIME he gives. I would be VERY surprised if there is another NBA player who gives as much time to charity and helping others as Shaq does. I've never really been a huge Shaq fan but I DEFINATELY admire his giving of his most precious resource -- his TIME!

I know that he and his wife have been coordinating relief efforts for the past week.  You can always admire guys like Shaq and Warrick Dunn (of the NFL Falcons) for the kind of work they put in.      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 09:23:19 AM »
When you add time and money together, I'd lay money there isn't a player in the NBA who gives more to charity than Shaq does. Lots of NBA players give money -- first, it's required of them; second, they need the tax write-off, and they like to look good doing it. But Shaq amazes me, not just with the amount of money he gives (heck, he can afford that) but with the amount of TIME he gives. I would be VERY surprised if there is another NBA player who gives as much time to charity and helping others as Shaq does. I've never really been a huge Shaq fan but I DEFINATELY admire his giving of his most precious resource -- his TIME!

I know that he and his wife have been coordinating relief efforts for the past week.  You can always admire guys like Shaq and Warrick Dunn (of the NFL Falcons) for the kind of work they put in.
The NFL has actually been out there in full force.  Not just donating money but actually out on the ground passing out much needed supplies to the people who are suffering.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 09:40:07 AM »

The NFL has actually been out there in full force.  Not just donating money but actually out on the ground passing out much needed supplies to the people who are suffering.
But does the NFL care as much as they did after 9/11?   They made the Saints play a PRESEASON game 2 days after the hurricane...for 9/11 they cancelled regular season games.  Saints players haven't had time off to check on their homes in the area.  The NFL is doing squat...some players are stepping up but the league has sucked as much as Bush in handling this catastrophe.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 09:52:53 AM »

The NFL has actually been out there in full force.  Not just donating money but actually out on the ground passing out much needed supplies to the people who are suffering.
But does the NFL care as much as they did after 9/11?   They made the Saints play a PRESEASON game 2 days after the hurricane...for 9/11 they cancelled regular season games.  Saints players haven't had time off to check on their homes in the area.  The NFL is doing squat...some players are stepping up but the league has sucked as much as Bush in handling this catastrophe.
Leave it to a republican to try to compare the two.  Is this like in elementry school when one kid does something very stupid to get in trouble so he tries to pull someone else down with him so he doesnt look as bad???  Sorry the guy you voted for isnt doing a very good job of leading our government.  

Please dont ever compare the NFL having the Saints play a pre-season game with the Bush administration and our governments incompetance when it comes to this disaster.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 09:53:42 AM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 10:32:31 AM »
westkoast,

WHOA!  That's not a political statement Lurker made.  It's a statement of disgust with the NFL.

And furthermore, I agree with him.  The NFL should have cancelled the pre-season game - and possibly the first week of the season.  If handling this situation is to be compared with 9/11 for the Bush Administration, it's extremely fair to rate how the NFL has responded in contrast to the two incidents.

Of course, in fairness to the NFL, I don't think the Raiders and Saints playing a pre-season game is going to attract a hurricane...regardless of how much the game sucks.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 10:57:27 AM »
You know Shaq is doing something too...but doesnt want the press for it.  Hes probably doing something real big.

SA's always been a classy organization so this doesnt suprise me the least bit.
You know, I really respect Shaq, despite the fact that he likes to work the camera and make outlandish statments, he REALLY has a big heart, you got to respect him for that, he may have annoyed me by his arrogance in the past, but seeing him now older and more toned down, he really is a great guy IMO.  I know, he always has been - but he annoyed me back in the day.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 10:58:47 AM »
When you add time and money together, I'd lay money there isn't a player in the NBA who gives more to charity than Shaq does.  Lots of NBA players give money -- first, it's required of them; second, they need the tax write-off, and they like to look good doing it.  But Shaq amazes me, not just with the amount of money he gives (heck, he can afford that) but with the amount of TIME he gives.  I would be VERY surprised if there is another NBA player who gives as much time to charity and helping others as Shaq does.  I've never really been a huge Shaq fan but I DEFINATELY admire his giving of his most precious resource -- his TIME!
other NBA players did donate, didnt you see that NBA press conference, 500k from Marbury, forgot who else pitched in a half mill as well, but several players are helping...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 11:04:16 AM »
Shaq, the player, *STILL* annoys me.

Shaq, the person, is truly awesome.

If the guy brought more of the person to the player, he'd be the NBA's darling.

Kind of scary to say that Shaq's a better person than he is a player, isn't it?

Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 12:53:48 PM »
westkoast,

WHOA!  That's not a political statement Lurker made.  It's a statement of disgust with the NFL.

And furthermore, I agree with him.  The NFL should have cancelled the pre-season game - and possibly the first week of the season.  If handling this situation is to be compared with 9/11 for the Bush Administration, it's extremely fair to rate how the NFL has responded in contrast to the two incidents.

Of course, in fairness to the NFL, I don't think the Raiders and Saints playing a pre-season game is going to attract a hurricane...regardless of how much the game sucks.
Okay I understand that but to compare those two things are wrong.  How can you compare the NFL having the pre-season go on to the leader and our government dragging their feet in a very serious matter?

You agree that NFL making the Saints play a pre-season game is the same as our government taking 4+ days to get real help down there?  Seriously Joe  :puke:   How are they even close?!?!?!?  I agree with you both that they should have cancled the game but to say the NFL is handling the situation like our government is silly.

Remember you both chose this guy to lead our country and I understand its not all Bush's fault however, he makes people jump when he wants something done in our government.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 12:57:16 PM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 01:34:20 PM »
First off, wk, I NEVER EVER voted for Bush.  I have said from the very beginning that he is a moron who rode the political machine built by his father into office.  My stance in his first election was vote for him to get him out of Texas.  He f***ed up our state and I figured there were enough checks & balances that he couldn't f*** up the country.  In that matter I will admit how VERY wrong I was.

And yes they can be compared.  The NFL has shown as much interest and compassion towards New Orleans as has our president...in other words somewhere between not giving a shit to outright disgust over this nuisance raising its head.

Do you think if the hurricane had hit...oh say...the mid-Atlantic coast that the NFL would have reacted the same way?  If the Saints were defending champs would the NFL had given more leeway?  Hell, the NFL won't even let them reschedule their home games where the Saints want to play them.  They are forcing them to play their first "home" game in NYC.  You would think that we were still in the reconstruction era with the way the powers that be...both in Washington (gov't) & New York (NFL)....have treated this.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 01:42:53 PM »
Remember you both chose this guy to lead our country and I understand its not all Bush's fault however, he makes people jump when he wants something done in our government.

Wow.  I'm starting to *REALLY* get upset with this board today.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER have I supported George W. Bush to be our president - with the ONLY exception to that being the moment the various election results came in.  I've never voted for the man, because, as I've stated many times, I consider the man to be a THIEF.  Far prior to the election of 2000, I stated that no matter what, I would NOT vote for Bush Jr., and I never have.  The fact that I refused to vote for his main opposition, and considered those candidates to be just as bad of a choice is *NOT* a vote in favor of the man.  The only support he has from me is that he was elected as President according to the laws of our country.  (If you want to get into the 2000 Election detail, I'm willing to argue that point.)

Do not assume that I support a candidate because some of my political philosophies agree with his.  I'll let you know when I'm in favor of someone or do support someone.

I'd have voted for Bush Sr. again - like I did back in 1988.  But not Bush Jr.

Now - as for the statement about the NFL - the idea presented here is INCOMPETENCE and UNCONCERN.  The administration didn't CARE enough, and didn't DO enough.  Neither did the NFL.  The fact that the administration is CAPABLE of doing more good or more damage is not the question.  Getting an F in a 5 hour class does more damage to your GPA than getting an F in a one hour class, but that doesn't mean that you're better in your one hour class.

Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 01:54:24 PM »

Wow.  I'm starting to *REALLY* get upset with this board today.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER have I supported George W. Bush to be our president - with the ONLY exception to that being the moment the various election results came in.  I've never voted for the man, because, as I've stated many times, I consider the man to be a THIEF.  Far prior to the election of 2000, I stated that no matter what, I would NOT vote for Bush Jr., and I never have.  The fact that I refused to vote for his main opposition, and considered those candidates to be just as bad of a choice is *NOT* a vote in favor of the man.  The only support he has from me is that he was elected as President according to the laws of our country.  (If you want to get into the 2000 Election detail, I'm willing to argue that point.)

Do not assume that I support a candidate because some of my political philosophies agree with his.  I'll let you know when I'm in favor of someone or do support someone.

I'd have voted for Bush Sr. again - like I did back in 1988.  But not Bush Jr.

Now - as for the statement about the NFL - the idea presented here is INCOMPETENCE and UNCONCERN.  The administration didn't CARE enough, and didn't DO enough.  Neither did the NFL.  The fact that the administration is CAPABLE of doing more good or more damage is not the question.  Getting an F in a 5 hour class does more damage to your GPA than getting an F in a one hour class, but that doesn't mean that you're better in your one hour class.
You are upset because I feel that comparing what the NFL decided to do and what our government DIDNT do is not ok?   Ill make note of this Joe, so next time I feel like making an off the wall statement comparing a serious tragedy with our government doing close to nothing for its own people for days on end and a flippin pre-season game I wont upset anyone on this board.  God only knows how much crap I would get if I compared 9-11 to some sports related topic.

Lurker, no the NFL/Government situation is not even remotely connected.  The NFL showed no compasion by continuting the pre-season...OUR GOVERNMENT DID NOT SEND SUPPLIES, TROOPS, OR BUSSES FOR 4+ Days.  People were getting very ill, were without food/water, and people were dieing.  How in any shape or form were they even close to one another?!?!?!

Sorry for caring very little about where the Saints are going to play this year with where hundreds of thousands of people are going to LIVE.

I apologize for assuming you are Bush suporters (Lurker/Joe) but you could have fooled me with the heavy arguing you were doing Joe.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 02:00:12 PM by westkoast »