Author Topic: The Cavaliers  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Cavaliers
« on: September 08, 2005, 04:03:38 PM »
You know me and my friends have always affectionately referred to the Cavs general manager  as Danny "the Fairie".  I guess it just goes with the territory of being a hyped second pick overall who whined enough to get moved from the Clips to the Cavs and proceeded to have by all estimates a ho-hum NBA career.  I have to say though, so far I've been impressed with him in his new incarnation, and from what I hear of the job he did in San An, Executive Ferry might become a great GM in this league.

I really like the direction the Cavaliers are going in, especially with this last signing of Damon Jones, who caught my attention with the Bucks long before his exploits on the Heat.  You got a starting lineup of Ilgauskas-Gooden-James-Hughes-Jones, with veterans Donyell Marshall and Eric Snow on the bench fortified by Varejao, L. Jackson, and Andriuskevicius, three youngsters with definite upside.  If even one of them pans out, you're looking at a solid eight man rotation.  When Marshall comes in for Gooden you can dump it to Big Z on the low block, or have him set screens for Hughes and James who'll have ample-sized lanes to slash through with Marshall and Jones stretching the defense.  There are still question marks at backup C, Gooden's defense on big talented PFs, and their coach Mike Brown, but if this team gels quickly, Indy, Miami, and Detroit better watch out...

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
The Cavaliers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 04:16:23 PM »
I'm with you on this one, Skander, although I think it's going to take at least a year of playing together before the entire crew really clicks enough to seriously challenge the big boys.

One of the other guys you forgot on this team was Sasha Pavlovic.  Now if you're looking for strong defense, you've got absolutely the wrong guy - Walt Williams was a better defender - but this guy is an offensive threat both on the block and shooting from outside.  Off the bench, he could really do something at the 3 backing up LeBron.

I still feel that dealing away Jiri Welsch was a mistake, though, and with this team, another outside shooter wouldn't hurt - especially backing up Larry Hughes, and in conjunction with Eric Snow at the point.

And there is one poor decision that the Cavaliers made - that being their coach.  Mike Brown is one of those guys who isn't ready to move up to the big chair, yet.  Going with a more proven coach - even if it's someone like an Eric Musselman or Jeff Bzdelik - would have been a better choice.  But outside those two things, I think Cleveland has had probably the best off-season of the entire league.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

The Cavaliers
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 04:34:22 PM »
I agree with the majority of your post, Skander.  And it's hard to admit because I can't STAND Danny Ferry -- he is still one of the dirtiest players to have ever played the game!

However, Ilgauskas, IMO, is a real key to the Cavs success and this guy isn't a guy that is going to have a long career.  He has managed to have a couple of healthy years but he is currently 30 and I don't see him being around when those young players begin to blossom.  

I will say that I think Ferry is doing a great job in putting together a team that can compete night in and night out and even more important, showing LeBron that the Cavs are committed to WIN a championship (and spend the money required to do it).  This might be almost more important than anything else he has done!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
The Cavaliers
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 05:22:09 PM »
You know me and my friends have always affectionately referred to the Cavs general manager  as Danny "the Fairie".  I guess it just goes with the territory of being a hyped second pick overall who whined enough to get moved from the Clips to the Cavs and proceeded to have by all estimates a ho-hum NBA career.  I have to say though, so far I've been impressed with him in his new incarnation, and from what I hear of the job he did in San An, Executive Ferry might become a great GM in this league.

I really like the direction the Cavaliers are going in, especially with this last signing of Damon Jones, who caught my attention with the Bucks long before his exploits on the Heat.  You got a starting lineup of Ilgauskas-Gooden-James-Hughes-Jones, with veterans Donyell Marshall and Eric Snow on the bench fortified by Varejao, L. Jackson, and Andriuskevicius, three youngsters with definite upside.  If even one of them pans out, you're looking at a solid eight man rotation.  When Marshall comes in for Gooden you can dump it to Big Z on the low block, or have him set screens for Hughes and James who'll have ample-sized lanes to slash through with Marshall and Jones stretching the defense.  There are still question marks at backup C, Gooden's defense on big talented PFs, and their coach Mike Brown, but if this team gels quickly, Indy, Miami, and Detroit better watch out...
T'ain't nothing wrong with Ferry, guy should be ok as your GM.  considering what he has done so far he is doing well, he learned a lot here in SA and can really do a decent job there in Cleveland.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
The Cavaliers
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 07:57:36 PM »
Joe, I disagree on the coaching.  Brown is an excellent choice.  Young, learned under a couple quality guys (Pop & Carlisle), and relates well with the players.  He will emphasize defense a lot more and the Cavs have the players to make it work.

Also Ferry has GM pedigree in his blood.  His dad was a solid GM for the Bullets for years.  And BTW he didn't play for the Clips....he refused to sign and went to Europe.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 07:59:17 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Cavaliers
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 09:06:18 AM »
Also Ferry has GM pedigree in his blood. His dad was a solid GM for the Bullets for years. And BTW he didn't play for the Clips....he refused to sign and went to Europe.

I knew that he never played for the Clippers, but I'd forgotten that he did sign with a European team before eventually ending up a Cavalier.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."