Author Topic: Finley "sweepstakes"  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Finley "sweepstakes"
« on: August 16, 2005, 02:16:21 PM »
Xs3 do you want him on the Spurs?

Some interesting takes here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/stor...marc&id=2135306

This writer thinks he is pursuing a ring.  Miami Det Phx and Spurs allegedly Finleys top 4 choices with Denver as a darkhorse.

:puke: Money would be an issue with Finley?

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 05:03:10 PM »
If I'm Finley, I'm signing on with DENVER first, PHOENIX second, and MINNESOTA - who just waived Fred Hoiberg - third.  The reason?  On any of those clubs, I'm a starter.

Finley is *FAR* from washed up.  Take it from a guy who's had him on his fantasy team for two years running.  (Three, if I get a good opportunity.)

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 01:02:53 PM »
If I'm Finley, I'm signing on with DENVER first, PHOENIX second, and MINNESOTA - who just waived Fred Hoiberg - third.  The reason?  On any of those clubs, I'm a starter.

Finley is *FAR* from washed up.  Take it from a guy who's had him on his fantasy team for two years running.  (Three, if I get a good opportunity.)
Finley's most likely stops are Phoenix, Minnie, and Miami.

Denver IS a dark horse - the reason is because they are nowhere near contention with that squad just yet.  Sorry Joe - but Finley has been in the league too long to go to a squad of that calibre IMHO.  of course i may be wrong and eat crow - but it would be a major shock if he did.

I dont know if money is going to be an issue for finley at this point, it might be, hell he could sign a one year deal if he wanted to.  he has got the money, i would see him playing for a title right now rather then a long term contract.  San Antonio, although it is close to his home in Dallas, may not be on his radar right now, I see the three team I mentioned as the best places to end up with phoenix as possibly the front runner. Thats just my opinion.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 01:08:23 PM »
Reports are that Miami, Detroit, and Houston are going the hardest after him and all three have their full MLE to work with.

Phoenix can only offer him the veteran's minimum.

San Antonio only has part of their MLE to work with.

Denver, Chicago, and the Lakers also have their full MLE to work with but haven't shown definitive interest, yet.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Guest_Randy

Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 01:21:39 PM »
Skandery,

I don't think that Houston has all of it's MLE -- I thought they only had $1.67 of it left.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 01:53:47 PM »
Randy,

my bad, you're right.

Houston is going to see what Finley decides, if he doesn't go with them I think they're lookin' at Sprewell.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 01:58:33 PM »
What I got is that SA has part of its MLE and all of its LLE (lower level exception - something like 1.6 mill I think) to offer him.  they could make a decent offer to him but Miami and Phoenix would still have us beat as far as money goes, anf the chance to win a ring is there for both teams.  

Anyone have a subscription to ESPN insider?  i see there is a article about the whether or not the Spurs are going to pounce on Finley....If you got one could you post that story?  

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 02:26:07 PM »
Anyone have a subscription to ESPN insider?  i see there is a article about the whether or not the Spurs are going to pounce on Finley....If you got one could you post that story?
Yes what is the holdup on info on Finley-Spurs Finley-Anywhere period?

From time to time espn offers free Insider articles.  A few excellent articles but all in all hasn't been worth the subscription price to me.

Repeat, if money is a Finley and agent consideration then  :puke:

Well his agent says he wants a ring so lets see if he wants stats and money or playoff conf finals and title competition.    

Guest_Randy

Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 04:45:17 PM »
Reality,

Who does Finley help more?  SA, Detroit, Phoenix or Miami?  Could it be that this is Finley's focus more than who might be the best shot to win?  

If I were Finley, this is the criteria I would be using:

What teams have a legit shot at a title?

Which of those teams, has an open starting SG slot (or could have one open)?

Which of those teams would be a better fit for me?

And, if all the previous were equal, I would use the following criteria to make my decision:  1) which team has the best shot at a title and 2) how much money can they pay me (of course, this wouldn't be as big a factor with the amount of money I'm already getting paid by Dallas).

I would pretty much rule out a team that:  1) doesn't need another SG, and 2) wants me to come off the bench and play 10-15 minutes a night.  Why would I rule them out?  Because I want to EARN a title -- not just ride on a teams coattail and because there ARE teams that I might be able to push over the top and help them WIN a title!  

If I were Finley, I would probably choose Miami first and Phoenix second -- based on my criteria.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 05:45:25 PM »
Randy I am always willing to prop you.

I am in total concurence that it would be great to see Finleys 1st criteria be which teams have a legit shot at the title.  So his agent says his is.

Some including you may misread that by mentioning the Spurs I am thereby inferring that the Spurs should be Finleys one and only choice.  No.  

As previous thread states, I would like to see NBA player Finley pursue a title.
If as a starter, so much the better.  If as a 6th man, fine.  If as a 15 minute a game player, this is where you and I would disagree.   If he plays a consistent 15 thruout the playoffs and occasionally puts in 25-30 in a pivotal playoff and/or finals game, no shame in that whatsoever.  In the Reality Finals the other team would also have depth in roster, so bring on the great matchup.  Agree with you in your response to my previous thread, we can't have this full scale or it would make the bottom 15 NBA teams suck to bad.  Answer would be contraction, it aint gonna happen.

So in Finleys case.  You think SA is the only team that would put Finley in "coatail riding" status?  Notice I'm asking.  I'm not sure that SAS would be the only such.  I do have SAS as the favorite in 2006 Finals, but should Finley join Miami or Phx I don't know.....It would seem he would get more playing time on M or Phx or would he? :huh:
  As all seasons including 2006, injuries will be a factor.  Could play out that whoever of the Front Four F signs with, he might not play a lot of minutes in the early season but his minutes could double in the event of an injury.  So that is a factor to me.  He might initially be a gravy trainer with the Spurs or Heat but what if their starting SG or SF goes down? Supposing SAS has an injury to Bob Horry and Barry. Or Bob Horry and GNobler.  It could happen.  Now he becomes either a starter or perhaps a 35 minute player.

We shall see if he choses one of the Front Four.  Phx I think we all concur just got much better with the JJ joke.  Phx not only for 2006 playoffs but who knows what those draft picks could become in strenthening Phx for 07 and 08.  Picks could also be used as trade bait.  Its all good for Phx in the JJ ordeal.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 05:59:37 PM by Reality »

Guest_Randy

Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 07:38:33 PM »
Yes, I do think that Finley would be riding the coattails of SA.  Why?  Because the SG position is the deepest position on the Spurs squad, do you disagree?

And I don't think Finley should base his decision on the hopes that a Spurs player gets injured.  I also think that 15 minutes (with the occasional 25 minutes) is exactly what I am talking about (riding on coattails) and it's not enough for a player of Finley's caliber.  IMO, Barry gave up minutes to join the Spurs squad -- to become a solid role player on the Spurs -- but even Barry isn't the caliber player that Finley is.  However, I don't like Finley at the 3 -- he is too short to play against Dirk, Rashard Lewis, etc.  Would the Spurs love to have Finley -- of course they would -- do they need him?  No, they would be better off focusing on a back-up PG or another 3/4 man.

Does Miami or Phoenix need a Finley?  Yes, they do (esp. Phoenix) but Miami could have a better starting backcourt with Finley -- I don't see SA making that kind of statement (although I do believe that Finley is better than Barry -- but is he better than Ginob?  Perhaps more consistent but not better at this stage in his career.  I think Miami is screaming "we want you, Finley" -- same with Phoenix -- but I don't think that's SA -- I think they are merely saying "we would love to have you!"  

And yes, I think Finley gets 15 more minutes a night with Miami and Phoenix than he does with the Spurs.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 08:04:32 PM »
Xs3 this just in...
Randy,  Agree SG better then SF for Finley.  Talk later.

Face-to-face negotiations are under way in the Michael Finley sweepstakes, but no signing commitment is expected from the in-demand former All-Star before next week at the earliest.

Sources close to the process have told ESPN.com that Finley and agent Henry Thomas have invited the leading suitors to Chicago for sitdowns in Finley's hometown as opposed to launching into a series of recruiting trips.

... with delegations from the Phoenix Suns (Tuesday), San Antonio Spurs (Thursday) and Detroit Pistons (TBD) also scheduled for visits this week.

There is likewise a chance that the Minnesota Timberwolves will be the fifth team to get an up-close chance to woo Finley, with the most prominent casualty of the NBA's new amnesty clause apparently intent on a deliberate evaluation of his options. The 10-year veteran was waived by the Dallas Mavericks late last Monday and became an unrestricted free agent after clearing waivers Thursday.

Riley, Minnesota star Kevin Garnett, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and ex-Dallas teammate Steve Nash are among the luminaries who have personally reached out to Finley by phone since he was released.

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, meanwhile, enjoyed an unexpected head start in the lobbying process late last week when he and Finley were guests at the Phoenix wedding of Mavericks athletic trainer Casey Smith, a former Suns employee.

Various league executives have maintained for weeks that Miami is the heavy favorite to land Finley, with the Heat able to offer a full mid-level exception of $5 million next season and the lure of playing alongside Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade, who's also represented by Thomas. Finley, furthermore, is quite familiar with Van Gundy, having played for him at Wisconsin.

Yet, sources insist that Finley has not yet established a favorite.  (Reality here, ah the infamous "*sources*.)  "Intensely private throughout his eight-plus seasons in Dallas, Finley has been typically tight-lipped about his future, telling reporters at Nash's July 29 charity game that he wasn't ready to discuss the prospect of free agency and declining interview requests since being waived by the Mavericks.

Thomas, though, did confirm last week that Finley is "most interested" in joining a team with championship potential.

Of the four teams that best fit that description, Miami and Detroit can both offer a starting salary of $5 million. The Pistons, however, are poised to cut into their mid-level exception to sign power forward Dale Davis this week -- and potentially take themselves out of the running -- if they sense that Finley's interest is waning.

San Antonio and Phoenix are the other two teams, but going to either of the Mavericks' Western Conference rivals will require Finley to make a financial sacrifice. The Spurs are limited to offering a starting salary of just over $2.5 million, and Phoenix can't pitch anything more than the veteran minimum of $1.1 million for the 2005-06 campaign.

The Mavericks tried for weeks to trade Finley to an Eastern Conference team before waiving him in hopes of keeping the swingman away from the Spurs or Suns. Reports persist that Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was prepared to offer Finley a restructured payment schedule on the nearly $52 million left on Finley's contract to help persuade him to go East, but NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that no such deal was struck.

The presence of San Antonio and Phoenix on Finley's list of finalists indeed suggests no such arrangement exists. A "spread provision" in Finley's Dallas contract stipulates that, upon being waived, his remaining salary will be paid in annual installments of less than $5 million.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:33:34 PM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 01:52:31 AM »
Does Miami or Phoenix need a Finley?  Yes, they do (esp. Phoenix)
What happens to Raja Bell who just signed to be SG for Phx?  I'm sure Phx would find a way to play them both.  But would Bell have to reduce to __ min per game?  
If he wants a better shot at the title he may well.  If Phx has them both it's their gain.  If Finley does not sign with Phx, I want to see what Bell can do with full time minutes.  I like his improvement including 40% 3balls and especially good defense.  

And Finley is not as good as GNob.

Xs3 concur.  Spurs will find a way to fit Finley and Bowen in the event he signs with Spurs, assuming the agent acting as Finleys mouthpiece is truthful in stating Finleys wants a title shot.  

Concur re the Spurs, he probably won't sign with Spurs anywho so it may well be the point ends up being moot.

Is this one of those signings the Spurs should do just to avoid other teams (Phx or Miami) strengthening?  Sometimes just blocking a move keeps your opponent from overtaking.  I like Spurs as is.  If they can get Finley for the minimal, so much the better.

Guest_Randy

Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 08:10:06 AM »
Reality,

First you berate players for not joining the top squads in the league (because you say you want better playoffs) and then you want the Spurs to sign a great player simply to keep him from joining another team (so that we can see a better series)?

Hmmm, this doesn't really add up Reality!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Finley "sweepstakes"
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 08:42:26 AM »
Reality,

First you berate players for not joining the top squads in the league (because you say you want better playoffs) and then you want the Spurs to sign a great player simply to keep him from joining another team (so that we can see a better series)?

Hmmm, this doesn't really add up Reality!
Exactly what I would want other teams in the title run to do.  Try and block the Spurs from obtaining a slam dunker.   Like Gnob. :cheers:

Players like Allan Houston et al who suck down salary for nothing should be berated.  My berate-ing is Arated.

It adds up perfectly.