Author Topic: Big Dog playing some D  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Big Dog playing some D
« on: June 10, 2005, 09:36:49 AM »
Catch any of those blocks by Big Dog? :eek2:  :nod:  :D

That was so cool seeing play team ball and concentrating on D.  Giving the ball up on O.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Big Dog playing some D
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 09:56:23 AM »
Being on a championship caliber team does wonders for players  :D .  Nazr was solid last night and Bowen shut the critcs up (at least for the time being)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Big Dog playing some D
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 09:58:13 AM »
he played a very good game for us.  I was like "was that BIG DOG that DUNKED?", and then the block he got was sweet too.   :D  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 10:00:35 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Big Dog playing some D
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 10:12:48 AM »
Bowen didn't shut me up.  Offensively, he was WORSE than awful.  And defensively, when he was covering Hamilton, he was sub-par, especially at the opening.

San An got a big game out of Tony Parker, and in my opinion, that was the difference in the game.  Ginobilli didn't get going until Parker got going.

Detroit lost the game in the second quarter.  Larry Brown wanted to save Tayshaun Prince from picking up his third foul, and when Prince went out, San An got their offense rolling.  I think Brown would have been better served by playing Prince.  We're not talking his fourth foul in the first half - we're talking his THIRD.  3 fouls in the first half can be dealt with.

It was obvious that Ginobilli isn't going to be able to cover Tayshaun Prince, and Bowen got caught cheating the screens on Rip Hamilton.  Given that Ginobilli did a good job on Hamilton, and Bowen is better able to handle Prince, if I'm Popovich, I'm switching that match-up until someone steps up to burn me.  Hamilton was getting HOT (angry) when Ginobilli was on him, moreso than when Bowen was on him.

Once Parker got going, Ginobilli got rolling, and Chauncey Billups was busy forgetting the smart things he learned from last year's finals.  He converted back into the Billups of old, rather than the driving threat from last year.

Hunter and Arroyo were hideous, as was Brown for San An.  It was good (if you're a San An fan) to see Robert Horry yellling at Brown on the way to the sidelines following a time-out.

Robinson was a pleasant surprise off of the San An bench.  If you remember, George Karl used to credit Robinson's defense when Milwaukee was playing well.  (When Milwaukee was playing poorly, Karl criticized EVERYONE'S defense.)  Robinson isn't incapable as a defender, as many folks think.

Another question:  if Brown was going to pull Prince, why didn't he go with Darvin Ham?  This guy is smart and tough, and will punish San An physically if they try to put Ginobilli (and likely Bowen, as well) on him.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Big Dog playing some D
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 10:59:31 AM »
Nazrs circus putback of a Dunker miss was sweet. :up:
I thought his best hoop of the game was the first made basket.  Turnaround banker from 6 feet after the feed from Duncan.

Parker had a good game, but lots of Eva fog also Joe.
Several of his drives the Pistons were back on D with 2 or 3 players.  Instead Tony tried the 1on3 basket, it didnt work at all.  Otherwise his drives completely kicked arse.  Definitely a strong point of the Spurs O is Parkers constant threat to drive, drive n dish.  Even just drive n circle, keeps the Pistons D looking for the ant scampering around.

When the Spurs 17 pt lead was cut to 9 and then Parker goes underneath the hoop, caught in midair throws a turnover bounce pass :bash:, from there on it was The GNob Show.  Toss out the halfcourt lob that rimmed out, GNobs 3rd and 4th qtr was 9-9 and 2-2 on 3 bombs.  As always with solid support from Tim Dunker and really the whole cast.  

Concur that Det did not use Prince enough offensively on GNob.
While Devin Brown was lost on O, i loved how Pop used him on D vs Prince for a spell.  It was like you wanna go tall Larry Brown, fine here is Big Dog and DBrown and Bob Horry.  Also the switchout double team mini traps where Dunker or Nazr comes all the way out to help guard Billips for a spell.   :hail:  :hail:  Xs3 I love it.:wub:   Very effective.

Lastly the T on BenWa.  I've replayed several times.  BenWa is moving his right foot as GNob dribbles into him.  Does BenWa set the foot before GNob contacts him?  Very close, maybe maybe not.  BenWas flop does not help him IMO.  The refs do not help him like DeReek Fisher 99-02.  I also wonder if it was a "make up call" as two seconds earlier GNob tried to dribble past BenWA, they definitely danced for a brief spell then seperated.  

Detroit is going to adjust, but then so are the Spurs.  10 blocks and 10 steals by the Pistons is very propable, however i look for SA to adjust to those.  Det on the other hand can't be as horrid off the bench as they were.  McDysse in particular wont go 1-8 again.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 11:07:59 AM by Reality »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Big Dog playing some D
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 12:26:11 PM »
IMO. detroit is getting too much hype - mostly because they are unfortunately the defending champs.  The Spurs were the best defensive team this season, and werer usually considered the best TEAM - yes we have tim duncan but we won as a TEAM - NOW thanks to freaking espn - detroit is THE team in the NBA, they are the best defense in the NBA.  SA beat Seattle AND the Suns, and while people try to downplay our playoffs because of injuries to opposing teams, the SPurs did not win by the skin of thier teeth - they won nicely.  The pissed-ons seem to avoid all this despite they beat a the heat with Wade playing with a jacked up rib.  I was fed up with the hype yesterday that I decided to go to a bar and watch the game with other Spurs fans, despite being down we all saw how the Spurs wear the enemy down, despite the hard shots inside the guards keep driving, and driving, and driving, the bench is deeper than pistons bench.  All I am saying is don't buy into the hype.  Detroit is tough, and to be respected, but SA is the team to beat in this series.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Big Dog playing some D
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 12:53:33 PM »
Bowen didn't shut me up. Offensively, he was WORSE than awful. And defensively, when he was covering Hamilton, he was sub-par, especially at the opening.

San An got a big game out of Tony Parker, and in my opinion, that was the difference in the game. Ginobilli didn't get going until Parker got going.

Detroit lost the game in the second quarter. Larry Brown wanted to save Tayshaun Prince from picking up his third foul, and when Prince went out, San An got their offense rolling. I think Brown would have been better served by playing Prince. We're not talking his fourth foul in the first half - we're talking his THIRD. 3 fouls in the first half can be dealt with.

It was obvious that Ginobilli isn't going to be able to cover Tayshaun Prince, and Bowen got caught cheating the screens on Rip Hamilton. Given that Ginobilli did a good job on Hamilton, and Bowen is better able to handle Prince, if I'm Popovich, I'm switching that match-up until someone steps up to burn me. Hamilton was getting HOT (angry) when Ginobilli was on him, moreso than when Bowen was on him.

Once Parker got going, Ginobilli got rolling, and Chauncey Billups was busy forgetting the smart things he learned from last year's finals. He converted back into the Billups of old, rather than the driving threat from last year.

Hunter and Arroyo were hideous, as was Brown for San An. It was good (if you're a San An fan) to see Robert Horry yellling at Brown on the way to the sidelines following a time-out.

Robinson was a pleasant surprise off of the San An bench. If you remember, George Karl used to credit Robinson's defense when Milwaukee was playing well. (When Milwaukee was playing poorly, Karl criticized EVERYONE'S defense.) Robinson isn't incapable as a defender, as many folks think.

Another question: if Brown was going to pull Prince, why didn't he go with Darvin Ham? This guy is smart and tough, and will punish San An physically if they try to put Ginobilli (and likely Bowen, as well) on him.

PREACH THAT GOSPEL, BROTHER VANCIL! :D

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Big Dog playing some D
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 01:52:46 PM »
Skander,

What?  You're actually agreeing with me on something?

Joe

« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 01:53:46 PM by Joe Vancil »
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Big Dog playing some D
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 04:29:41 PM »
What? You're actually agreeing with me on something?

Well, of course, after all your post was largely based on my play by play commentary on the game while we were watching it.  B)

P.S.  Darvin Ham is the man, can I get an Amen!? :up:

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."