Author Topic: Amare expected to get 100M in the off season  (Read 1566 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Amare expected to get 100M in the off season
« on: June 03, 2005, 09:43:47 AM »
Will they reward their 22-year-old star with a max-out contract extension this summer that will keep him in the fold for seven more years? Perhaps more important, will they pacify the natural power forward's reluctance to play out of position at center another season?

The early indicators, after a five-game loss to the San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference finals: Yes and yes.

Bryan Colanagelo, Suns president and general manager, called locking up Stoudemire and guard Joe Johnson, a restricted free agent, a priority Thursday. Stoudemire will cost the Suns more than $100 million, and Johnson will cost much more than the $45 million he turned down last summer.

But the Suns appear intent on keeping together the core group that won an NBA-best 62 games and went from 53 losses the season before to the conference finals.

"We have an unlimited future," said Mike D'Antoni, the league's coach of the year. "This is one step."

"We far exceeded expectations," said MVP Steve Nash, the catalyst of a run-and-gun team that averaged 112 points in the postseason but fell short defensively. "Not a lot of people picked us to make the playoffs. To be in the final four is a terrific accomplishment, one I believe we can top next year. Hopefully, this is one of those building blocks to something better."

Stoudemire is the cornerstone, and he came out of his exit meeting with Suns coaches and officials smiling about his future role: point-center.

The Suns, in an apparent compromise to Stoudemire's reluctance to play center again next season in D'Antoni's small-ball lineup, sent him home for the summer as the team's designated go-to player next season.

He earned the promotion with a stunning postseason that included averaging 37 points against Tim Duncan and the Spurs and 29.9 points overall in the playoffs.

The redefined role will have him pick-and-roll more often with Nash on the perimeter and free him to shoot outside, drive inside or pass.

Did someone say Magic Johnson?

"It's playing the position I played this year, center, but with a different twist — more of a perimeter, inside-outside game," Stoudemire said. "I'll do a lot more."

He added: "I've always dreamed of being in that position, the go-to guy. With this team, once I polish my game up a little more, I'll be able to take us to the promised land."

The Suns, with the 21st and 57th picks in the draft, want to muscle up inside to take the heat off Stoudemire. They know they have a rare talent.

Said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich: "Amare's not a center. He's a very quick, very powerful, very explosive power forward who plays anywhere he wants."

D'Antoni said Stoudemire is "going to define how to play in the NBA the next 10 years. He's going to be the model that people will have to adapt to.

"He can shoot threes, lead the break, pass, dribble and rebound. His defense has to get better. But when he becomes that complete basketball player, we will win championships."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 09:45:48 AM »
Polish up his game more?????  :huh:   Id love to see it because when you average 35+ points against the best defender in the league that says something.  If his play in the playoffs this year was unpolished I feel bad for the rest of the big men in the league.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 12:06:37 PM »
Wow, Phoenix is going to give Amare the max after signing Marion, Nash and Q. Richardson to longterm deals and then give Joe Johnson what he wants as well?  I hope this guy has VERY deep pockets!!!  

IMO, Phoenix needs to look to deal Q. Richardson for some kind of big man -- the interior defense of the Suns needs shoring up and that simply isn't going to happen with Marion playing PF.  Having Marion play PF is a stop gap measure but if the Suns can address one thing to elevate their team, this is the area.  A player like Nazr Mohammed (a player who will crash the boards, play great team defense, block shots, move without the ball and not get upset if he doesn't have the rock in his hand that often) is EXACTLY what the Suns need -- the problem is that these players are VERY VERY rare!  Would Portland trade Theo Ratliff for Q. Richardson?  He's about the only player that I think could be available that could help fit the bill.  

Phoenix needs to work on:  interior defense, rebounding (esp. offensively) and the quality of their bench.  With the exception of Jimmy Jackson and Richardson, the Suns don't have much of a bench at all.  And they can't expect to have Nash play minutes like this every year -- they will just wear him out!!!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 12:28:07 PM »
Said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich: "Amare's not a center. He's a very quick, very powerful, very explosive power forward who plays anywhere he wants."

D'Antoni said Stoudemire is "going to define how to play in the NBA the next 10 years. He's going to be the model that people will have to adapt to.

"He can shoot threes, lead the break, pass, dribble and rebound. His defense has to get better. But when he becomes that complete basketball player, we will win championships."

Can people get anymore superlative??  The guy had a good season and a great playoff run mostly because: he is ridiculously fast, has good enough hands to catch Nash's precision passes, and has the presence to actually DUNK the ball.  

You would think that last skill would come second nature to these NBA 6'10 to 7 foot players.  It doesn't!!!-- harles Smith-1993 Eastern Semis, I think.  Can shoot threes?... no he can't!!!  Can lead the break?....yeah....a one on none breakaway.  Can pass?......no D'Antoni, you mean can catch a pass.  And the idiot journalist is comparing him to Magic Johson?  That insults me as an NBA fan.  You know I've always likened Steven Hunters defensive footwork to Bill Russell. :bash:

Why does the media feel the need to overhype??  The game is great, the players are fun to watch, and the competition is fantastic without all this hyperbole.            
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 12:45:54 PM »

Can people get anymore superlative??  The guy had a good season and a great playoff run mostly because: he is ridiculously fast, has good enough hands to catch Nash's precision passes, and has the presence to actually DUNK the ball.  

You would think that last skill would come second nature to these NBA 6'10 to 7 foot players.  It doesn't!!!-- harles Smith-1993 Eastern Semis, I think.  Can shoot threes?... no he can't!!!  Can lead the break?....yeah....a one on none breakaway.  Can pass?......no D'Antoni, you mean can catch a pass.  And the idiot journalist is comparing him to Magic Johson?  That insults me as an NBA fan.  You know I've always likened Steven Hunters defensive footwork to Bill Russell. :bash:

Why does the media feel the need to overhype??  The game is great, the players are fun to watch, and the competition is fantastic without all this hyperbole.
He is also a strong rebounder and can shoot from outside but I agree... he is no Magic Johnson, he cant run the break nor should he, he doesnt make every single one of his teammates better, and he is nothing more than an average passer at this point.  However, passing isnt something that he cannot work on.  He himself said he needs to polish up his game and step it up.

With the way he has elevated his game every year since comming in I think its very posible he will work and do well in the passing category.  Next year is going to be a tough year as he is going to start to get double teamed every night.  How he passes out of that will determine how good his passing skills are.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 12:46:38 PM by westkoast »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 01:49:32 PM »
Amare's doing everything right now in spite of some serious flaws in his game (not a good passer, inconsistent rebounder, no go-to post move).  You can't define the position around how he succeeds, because he's a physical phenom.

that's the scary thing though, when he does refine his game (if he does so before losing what makes him physically special), watch out.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 02:11:13 PM »
Actually, I don't really understand why Amare didn't spot up more against TD at the top of the circle.  The Spurs HAD to respect the Suns outside shooting (esp. after JJ came back) and the Spurs don't like to double anyway -- Amare can take TD off the dribble all day long -- but for most of the series he wanted to try and post TD up (umm, something he isn't going to have tremendous success doing).

I also concur, when I hear what they are trying to do, I see shades of (not Magic) Karl Malone and Vlade Divac at the top of the post with players moving without the ball.  I DON'T see Amare as a player who can initiate this type of offense -- in fact, I would say Amare is no better than an average passer at best.  Whether he can accomplish this or not, time alone will tell but I'm definately have my doubts.  What I would LIKE Amare to work on is the little jump hook he showed at the end of the game (Kevin Willis style -- not the sky hook, I don't see anything that tells me he has that kind of game).  

I would also like to see Amare focus on becoming the anchor of the defense rather than just a shotblocker.  And rebounding?  Yes, Amare PLEASE work on your positioning (both on offense and defense as well as learning how to box out opponents from getting offensive rebounds!!!!).

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 03:05:24 PM »
Well Randy he doesnt have to have the bounce pass of a Magic Johnson to be a good passer.  Next year when teams really focus in on him all he has to do is pass well out of the double team.  He will go from an average passer to being the kind of player Vlade and Karl were.  The only question is who the hell is going to be the slasher?  Marion thinks hes Steve Kerr, Q thinks hes Reggie Miller, and JJ is that kind of shooter.

Amare had plenty of success against Duncan doing exactly what he should have been doing...taking him off the dribble.  Duncan is a little slow still after his injury and Amare is twice as fast as him anyways.  He scored every which way thru out the series..Pick and roll, jump hooks, off the dribble, post up moves, put backs, you name it.  He was a monster.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 03:10:57 PM by westkoast »