Author Topic: I like this....  (Read 890 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
I like this....
« on: June 01, 2005, 03:24:00 PM »
Cary Clack: Spurs fans need to remain focused if victory is to be assured
Web Posted: 06/01/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

My bad.

The Spurs lost Game 4 of their Western Conference Finals series to the Phoenix Suns on Monday night, and I apologize that my poor performance cost them a sweep.

Don't blame it on missed free throws, turnovers, Amare Stoudemire or bad officiating. It came down to me not crossing my legs and not placing my elbows on my knees properly.

I'm a stand-up kind of guy and will take the criticism due me, but there are others of you to blame. You, who in the midst of the Spurs comeback switched where you were sitting on the couch and allowed momentum to shift. You, who changed blouses during a timeout when our guys were just one point behind and allowed Phoenix to go up by four.

We all know there are several things that account for the Spurs being on the brink of their third world title. There's Tim Duncan, one of the game's all-time greats; the emergence of Manu Ginobili as a superstar; the quicksilver talent of Tony Parker; and the Hall of Fame-worthy management of Coach Pop.

And there's us, the fans and all of the monumental yet often-unappreciated things that we do that are the ultimate factor in whether the Spurs win. We demand that a shot "Go in!" because we know that our voices carry more sway than the accuracy of the shot.

See the Spurs go on a 12-0 run? That means that somewhere a fan is holding his bladder, dancing a little jig and refusing to go to the restroom until the run ends because he doesn't want to fritter away the Spurs' lead.

See the Spurs vanquish opponent after opponent in the playoff rounds? That means there are clusters of fans throughout the city who haven't washed their Spurs jerseys in weeks and are as funky as they are excited.

For example, no one has any idea just how much I meant to the Spurs championship season two years ago. Remember the times in the Western Conference finals against Dallas when they would get behind and then magically storm back to take the lead?

Me. Every time the Spurs fell back, I would change the television channel, and when I tuned back into the game, as quick as you could say "Steve Kerr" they were back on top.

While watching the game Monday night at a Southeast Side bar on a 92-inch television screen, my attempt to change the channel to the Disney Channel when the Spurs were down by double-digits was met with threats and demands that I do things to myself that, were I anatomically able to do, would allow me to beat Phoenix by myself.

Key three-pointers made in the fourth quarter came about because I had my right leg crossed just right over my left leg and would lean my torso to the right as the ball was in the air. The free throws were off because I would forget to cross my legs and to tilt my head downwards as the ball approached the basket.

I promise to rebound and be as committed to a Spurs victory tonight as the state Legislature is to reforming school finance.

OK, bad analogy.

But my friends at the bar should be warned that should the Spurs fall behind tonight, I will risk your wrath and change the channel. After all I've done for the Spurs, I'm willing to die for this team.

Let my epitaph read: "He Lies Buried Here So That Robert Horry Could Bury The Game-Winning 3-Pointer."

`
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.