Author Topic: Spurseses  (Read 6389 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« on: May 04, 2005, 11:43:52 PM »
:hail:  Bob Horry

Spurs I saw last minute of game.  
Edify me.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 09:43:03 AM »
Its amazing how Horry is now a good player!!!

Props to the Spurs fans....they played well.  Duncan's inability to slide on the defensive end is going to really give them trouble in the later rounds if he doesnt get to rest.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 10:03:59 AM »

Props to the Spurs fans....they played well.  Duncan's inability to slide on the defensive end is going to really give them trouble in the later rounds if he doesnt get to rest.
Sort of yeah.  Finding his 3 again is sweet.
But as for "amazing", that would be Big Dogs game being uplifted by becoming a Spur.  :nod:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 10:30:32 AM »

Props to the Spurs fans....they played well.  Duncan's inability to slide on the defensive end is going to really give them trouble in the later rounds if he doesnt get to rest.
But as for "amazing", that would be Big Dogs game being uplifted by becoming a Spur.  :nod:
I was thinking the same thing last night while watching the first half.  I was like 'who the hell brought back the Glen Robinson from the late 90s'

Give Nazr his props Reality.  He was a solid contributor in this series.  Even if the refs didnt bother to call fouls on Camby/KMart for fouling him.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 10:52:24 AM »
Quote from: westkoast,May 5 2005, 03:30 PM
But as for "amazing", that would be Big Dogs game being uplifted by becoming a Spur.  :nod: [/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing last night while watching the first half.  I was like 'who the hell brought back the Glen Robinson from the late 90s'

Give Nazr his props Reality.  He was a solid contributor in this series.  Even if the refs didnt bother to call fouls on Camby/KMart for fouling him. [/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why does the quote box disappear when one edits?

Honestly what I've seen he has been merely average.  When he catches a pass and is wide open, instead of flowing the ball to the hoop he pauses, has to bring the ball down, pause again, telegraph for the entire Nuggets team that he is going to shoot, wait for them to recover defensively, then make the shot attempt with Nugget(s) (now) all over him.  

Is a logical explaination that his groin is still very much injured?  Not enough to keep him out but enough to cause this?  Otherwise its like he has an offensive mental glitch that puts him in pause mode.

I also do not see at all what you and Spurs3 and Randoph spoke of his ability to get up and down the court on a fastbreak.  He does not look fast at all to me.  Not even faster then Rasho in the open up n down court.  Half court very slow at changing directions and sliding.  

What i do see is his height and arm length gives him rebounding ability.  Like a lesser version of Deke Mutombo.

Also with injuries to Rasho and Tim Dunker he has filled a most valuable role, no doubt.

Last night did Dunker look slower and more hindered then his stellar Game 4 (39 and 14 moving well)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 10:58:37 AM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 11:22:42 AM »

This merely average play, which I disagree, is actually more than what Rose did last season and during this season.  The guy is obviously slowed down by pain, he is moving painfully slow but at the same time he is being effective.  Imagine if he was able to move at a faster speed.   His sliding to the exact spot to relieve pressure is what I like.  Doesnt take brain surgery to do this but some players just dont do it on a consistant basis.  That and his larger body really plugs up the middle more.  Duncan is unable to play the same amount of post defense we are use to seeing yet they still played very well team defense.

27 minutes a game (helping Duncan get more rest, team less dependant)
50% from the field
9 rebounds per game
7.6 points per game
1.4 blocks

This is his stats for the first round.  I checked Malik's stats for last years playoffs.....8 min per game, 25% from the field, 2.4 rebounds a game, and 1.7 points.  Now thats impressive!

Props to Bowen for frustrating the crap out of  overrated Melo all series.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 11:28:16 AM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 11:55:32 AM »
What were Nazrs stats for last years playoffs?

Assuming Rose would suck again by taking one years piddly 8 minutes per game is like assuming Bob Horry would suck again.  Didn't happen.  Also Rose would easily shoot 50%+ on dunks.

Anywho different players different roles.  Nazr at 6'11" is exactly what Spurs need with Rasho-Dunker both gimpy.  No argument here.  Also agree that he slides to the right place on D.  Since you say he is injured then my saying his play is average fits.  He's doing all he can do.  With the injury lingering how could he be anything more then average.

Tim Dunker last night.  How did his mobility look?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 12:07:25 PM »
What were Nazrs stats for last years playoffs?

Assuming Rose would suck again by taking one years piddly 8 minutes per game is like assuming Bob Horry would suck again.  Didn't happen.  Also Rose would easily shoot 50%+ on dunks.

Anywho different players different roles.  Nazr at 6'11" is exactly what Spurs need with Rasho-Dunker both gimpy.  No argument here.  Also agree that he slides to the right place on D.  Since you say he is injured then my saying his play is average fits.  He's doing all he can do.  With the injury lingering how could he be anything more then average.

Tim Dunker last night.  How did his mobility look?
Youd have to be on a team that made the playoffs to have playoff stats :lol:

Im not assuming he would suck again because of those numbers.  What I am saying is that he wasnt all that impressive himself and that is part of the reason he was moved.  That and his contract size.

Duncan mobility-wise looked OK much better than he has in the last few.  Very slow with his lateral movement (as the boring play-by-play guys brought up) and his rebounding wasnt quite as aggressive as it normally is.  Kmart was able to do things to Duncan that normally you wouldnt see.  100% Duncan would have had at least 4-5 blocks last night.    On the offensive side he of course choses when to move and when not to move so I didnt notice much of a difference there.

rickortreat

Spurseses
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 12:09:35 PM »
Reality, Why won't you just admit that the trade for Nazr was a smart move by the Spurs?

It's obvious that he's contirbuted a lot more to the Spurs than Rose, and will continue to contribute more.

He's a more effective post player and he gives the Spurs more of what they need to win.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 12:20:43 PM »
Reality, Why won't you just admit that the trade for Nazr was a smart move by the Spurs?

It's obvious that he's contirbuted a lot more to the Spurs than Rose, and will continue to contribute more.

He's a more effective post player and he gives the Spurs more of what they need to win.
My whole mantra was what they gave up for Rose and potential chemisty problems.  So far so good.

However I need to see Nazr in crunch time.
Until he plays a vital role on a Spurs Championship team, he has not contributed a lot more then Rose.  Rose definitely had some slumpbreaking O and D in the Champ run.  Fronting and shutting down Shaq was  :up:

But i concur with Rasho and Tim gimpy he fits the Spurs 2005 playoff needs more then 6'7" Rose.  Esp if Barry can keep hitting and Big Dog can continue to astound.

Guest_Randy

Spurseses
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 02:26:03 PM »

Isn't it obvious, Rick, Reality can't EVER admit that he is wrong -- even when everyone else sees it -- he is even calling longterm (i.e. those who haven't jumped on the bandwagon in the last few years when they start playing well) names (nozers, etc.) for failing to agree with his Rose obsession.

Rose is a great guy and a hustle player but even with ALL of his hustle, he could NEVER do what Nazr is now.  TD IS obviously hurt and it's obviously apparent on the defensive end of the court -- but even injuried, Nazr is filling the lane, not just blocking shots but disrupting plays and making Nuggets players hesitate before driving the lane.  Rose NEVER did that -- even in his best years.  Add to that what Nazr is doing on the offensive glass -- he is tearing up the offensive glass (something that neither Rasho or Rose did or do) and you have the result of a better Spurs defense because of Nazr's presence.  Not just when TD isn't in the game but when he IS in the game.  Without Nazr in this series, the Spurs DON'T win, write it down!!!  If TD was healthy, I'd take back that statement but Nazr has been a monster for the Spurs this entire series and without him they would have lost to the Nuggets.

By-the-way, Rasho isn't any more hurt, IMO, than Nazr is -- but Rasho won't see his starting spot again until Nazr goes down with an injury!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 03:10:12 PM »
Rose is a great guy and a hustle player but even with ALL of his hustle, he could NEVER do what Nazr is now.....    Without Nazr in this series, the Spurs DON'T win, write it down!!!
 :rofl:
That made my day.
Rose doing 27 pts and 13 boards in 29 minutes of a playoff win will never compare to what Nazr is doing.  In round one of his 1st playoffs ever.

Stop dissing Malik!

Anything GNob and the rest of the team did be a key to getting the Spurs past Denver?  Or was Mohammed the MVP? :rolleyes:

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 03:27:59 PM »
Rose is a great guy and a hustle player but even with ALL of his hustle, he could NEVER do what Nazr is now.....    Without Nazr in this series, the Spurs DON'T win, write it down!!!
That made my day.
Rose doing 27 pts and 13 boards in 29 minutes of a playoff win will never compare to what Nazr is doing.  In round one of his 1st playoffs ever.

Stop dissing Malik!

Anything GNob and the rest of the team did be a key to getting the Spurs past Denver?  Or was Mohammed the MVP? :rolleyes:
Gimmie a break bandwagon boy...NO ONE, including Spurs fans, would have said that the Spurs would go 4-1 with Duncan being hurt and only playing 30 minutes a game against a team as hot as Denver was the 2nd half of the season.

Why was Duncan able to do that and the Spurs still win? Because the team pulled the weight together and Nazr was a major contributor to that because he was filling Tim's spot.

Pop is the man!  Plain and simple.  That is why hes one of the best GMs in the league and you work a regular job Reality.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 03:37:21 PM by westkoast »

Guest_Randy

Spurseses
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 03:57:43 PM »
Rose is a great guy and a hustle player but even with ALL of his hustle, he could NEVER do what Nazr is now.....    Without Nazr in this series, the Spurs DON'T win, write it down!!!
That made my day.

Stop dissing Malik!

Thanks, wk, I like that nic!  Okay, bandwagon boy (we'll call you BB for short).  Do the Spurs win by defense or offense?  With the exception of one game, TD hasn't been his normal self offensively -- and he wasn't his normal self defensively throughout the entire series.  Now, let's go through how the Spurs defend.  I'll type slowly so that perhaps you can comprehend.  Spurs defenders play TIGHT on their counterparts with the knowledge that even if their player beats them off the dribble, the interior defense will prevent the score.  TD WASN'T that defender, was he?  Nazr was, wasn't he?  So, without Nazr, Denver scores 5-10 points per game -- and that would have made enough difference in most of these games wouldn't it?

Also, you seem to be neglecting how many OFFENSIVE rebounds Nazr was pulling down -- how many times did GNob and co. get a second chance because Nazr either pulls down another rebound or taps the ball back out to the backcourt?  

Man, take off the blinders of arrogance and stop and see what everybody else has seen throughout this whole series.  Nazr hasn't been the Spurs offensive MVP but he DEFINATELY was the Spurs defensive MVP.  And you definately seem to forget that in one game, Nazr was the best Spurs player on the court.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurseses
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 04:08:44 PM »
I've got a question for you two on the "bandwagon" front.  How many years and how many teams have i rooted for?  

Oh do tell.  You've made the "bandwagon" chant whenever you needed to deflect attention away from a weak arsed argument.  So do tell.  Be accountable.

Now I must say, i don't do sucker punches or sissy hits.  So I'm letting you know in advance, other regular long time posters have changed the teams they root for in their lifetimes.  They, like me, are not birth-to-grave-you-must-root-for-the- -same-team adherents.