Author Topic: zig, Blazer update esp D.Miles  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
zig, Blazer update esp D.Miles
« on: February 28, 2004, 11:30:49 AM »
zig I've only been able to catch a portion of the new Blazers.
It was v Lakers where Abdul Rahims final possession game winner clanked off the rim.  Otherwise they certainly looked improved, and duh the 5 game win steak would confirm.

How does D Miles look?  Ok or still looking like he hits the bong with regularity?

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 04:23:59 PM »
I think Blazer fans are starting to get excited.  Right now Theo is the talk of Portland.  Portland has never had a big shot blocker since the days Dull Walton, and everybody is loves what Theo is bringing.  He has helped us win a couple games already.
Rahim has not really found his niche yet.  His presence though has help Zach get his offense going again.  This needs to be something Mo focuses on.  Zach is left handed, and Rahim right handed.  They like to set up on opposite sides of the floor, and they both like to take the ball to the key rather than the baseline.  If Mo develops this correctly we can develop good spacing on the floor, and we have multiple options on diving to the basket, and we still have to big guys that can score.  Zach needs to work on his passing, and I would like to see Rahim develop a baseline move, and then "Oscarmire" and DA can spot up, backdoor, or dive to the basket on the pick and roll.  Few teams have the advantage of two big time scorers on opposite sides of the floor, and Mo needs to figure out how to exploit that.
Miles has really been a tremendous surprise.  This was a steal plain and simple.  McInnis was redundant, and he is easily replaceable.  Miles will never be that super player envisioned when he was drafted #3, but he has some real skills.  He is solid in the open court, has shot the ball surprising well, has good shot blocking skills for a SF/SG, is a good defender in the passing lanes, and a solid passer.  He has many of the qualities of a Scottie Pippen, but so far he hasn't shown that same passion for winning, and intensity on the floor.  He would be a senior in college right now if he hadn't been drafted, so he still has major upside.  He still needs to get that focus and intensity if he wants to take it to the next level.  Right now he is a 12 pt, 4 rb, 3 ast type player.  He could be a 17/18 pt, 7 rebound, 5 ast, 2 stl type player.

We still need a shooter behind DA.  This was Person's role, and I hope we can find someone like him.  A player like that would do wonders for us.

We can defintely make the playoffs, but it is still an uphill battle, and no guarantees.  This offseason will be interesting.  Dale Davis is gone.  We have two mid-first round picks.  Outlaw will be ready to start getting more minutes.  It will be interesting to see if Charlotte is willing to take Damon off of our hands.  Damon has played very well all year, and has really stepped up.  There are other options out there that would be better for us in the long run (Brent Barry), but if he stays one more year, then that is fine.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 06:28:11 PM »
I think Blazer fans are starting to get excited.  Right now Theo is the talk of Portland.  Portland has never had a big shot blocker since the days Dull Walton, and everybody is loves what Theo is bringing.  He has helped us win a couple games already.
Rahim has not really found his niche yet.  His presence though has help Zach get his offense going again.  This needs to be something Mo focuses on.  Zach is left handed, and Rahim right handed.  They like to set up on opposite sides of the floor, and they both like to take the ball to the key rather than the baseline.  If Mo develops this correctly we can develop good spacing on the floor, and we have multiple options on diving to the basket, and we still have to big guys that can score.  Zach needs to work on his passing, and I would like to see Rahim develop a baseline move, and then "Oscarmire" and DA can spot up, backdoor, or dive to the basket on the pick and roll.  Few teams have the advantage of two big time scorers on opposite sides of the floor, and Mo needs to figure out how to exploit that.
Miles has really been a tremendous surprise.  This was a steal plain and simple.  McInnis was redundant, and he is easily replaceable.  Miles will never be that super player envisioned when he was drafted #3, but he has some real skills.  He is solid in the open court, has shot the ball surprising well, has good shot blocking skills for a SF/SG, is a good defender in the passing lanes, and a solid passer.  He has many of the qualities of a Scottie Pippen, but so far he hasn't shown that same passion for winning, and intensity on the floor.  He would be a senior in college right now if he hadn't been drafted, so he still has major upside.  He still needs to get that focus and intensity if he wants to take it to the next level.  Right now he is a 12 pt, 4 rb, 3 ast type player.  He could be a 17/18 pt, 7 rebound, 5 ast, 2 stl type player.

We still need a shooter behind DA.  This was Person's role, and I hope we can find someone like him.  A player like that would do wonders for us.

We can defintely make the playoffs, but it is still an uphill battle, and no guarantees.  This offseason will be interesting.  Dale Davis is gone.  We have two mid-first round picks.  Outlaw will be ready to start getting more minutes.  It will be interesting to see if Charlotte is willing to take Damon off of our hands.  Damon has played very well all year, and has really stepped up.  There are other options out there that would be better for us in the long run (Brent Barry), but if he stays one more year, then that is fine.
A couple of points:

1) How good is King James, really, if you have to dump a player like Miles just to make LeBron look better?  I don't understand this personell move -- I understood getting rid of Ricky Davis -- Davis was an overrated offensive player but I also think they could have gotten a lot more for him.

2) I imagine that the fans of Portland have to be a LOT happier with the make-up of this team.  Getting rid of Whitsitt sure has paid off.  Now if they can just get rid of Patterson, they will have improved their image 300%.

3) I don't think that Rahim and Randolph are a good fit together -- what do you think about trading Randolph and Anderson to Seattle for Ray Allen?  At this point, I think Seattle would pull the trigger on that one -- and Allen is a VERY good player on a VERY bad team (the Sonics, at this point, are a worse team than their talent individually indicates -- and a lot of that has to do with chemistry problems -- esp. in the middle).  If you don't like that trade -- consider a straight up trade, Randolph for Rashard Lewis, they would pull the trigger on that deal (they are SOOO desparate for a big man who can play in the middle).

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 08:17:34 PM »
what do you think about trading Randolph and Anderson to Seattle for Ray Allen? At this point, I think Seattle would pull the trigger on that one -- and Allen is a VERY good player on a VERY bad team (the Sonics, at this point, are a worse team than their talent individually indicates -- and a lot of that has to do with chemistry problems -- esp. in the middle). If you don't like that trade -- consider a straight up trade, Randolph for Rashard Lewis, they would pull the trigger on that deal (they are SOOO desparate for a big man who can play in the middle).

Randy,
I had actually heard rumors right before the trade deadline about Zach and DA for Ray Allen, or Paul Pierce.  Zach has a lot of upside, and he is a big guy which many teams are desperate for.  I believe either deal would have been good for Portland.  To win in the NBA you need a couple fo studs.  Rahim can be that #2 stud, and so I believe it makes sense to make a move for that great player that would compliment Rahim and be your #1.  I wouldn't trade Zach for Lewis though, only because I believe we can do better.  I prefer Pierce because he is younger, but Ray Allen would be awesome.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil