Author Topic: and who tops the list of BS sports writers???  (Read 1321 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
and who tops the list of BS sports writers???
« on: May 02, 2005, 01:07:58 PM »
You know, I just DONT see why eporters are looking at the pistons as a contender, I see them as a one hit wonder.  Thinking that the Spurs could not beat them is funny, REAL funny.  We could beat them in 5 - AT MOST!  Pistons will become fodder to Miami's run the the finals.  Miami - by all accounts - is the most overlooked team this season as far as contendership goes.  most of the predictions do not have Miami winning it this year - which i thinkk is a really big possibility. Miami has what it takes to win the east, and even more imprssive they have what it takes to beat the running suns and the defensive spurs...any team taking on miami will be in for a big surprise in th finals, they ARE the team to beat IMHO.  Just reading how detroit will do it again just bothers me, they are good, but i never saw them as THAT good.  nor have i ever considered Brown to be that good a coach either, and he was one of my favorite Spurs coaches... I dont know, my feeling is detroit will be trashed by miami.  writing that they could beat the west is just an insult IMO.

West won't get
title back this year
Suns good, but haven't shown
they can beat Heat, Pistons

COMMENTARY
By Mike Celizic
NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 1:10 p.m. ET May 2, 2005

There’s something lacking in this year’s NBA Western Conference playoffs, and it’s one of those things, like a full tank of gas, that you should never start a journey without
What’s missing is a reason to get involved, something like a compelling matchup, a super team, of the sense that the entire conference is playing for anything other than the right to lose to the winner of the East. And if that’s the case, does it matter who wins?

Of course, until last year, we’d been saying the same thing for years about the East instead of the West. Then last year’s finals surprised us by giving us both an upset and a story to remember. So the NBA may as well go ahead and let the West play it off, because you never know when something similarly wonderful will happen again.

But so far we haven’t seen anything to suggest that there’s any team in the West that can beat either the Pistons or the Heat. The conference that once offered the most bang for your playoff buck has yet to produce a story that demands your attention.

It’s not that the West hasn’t provided any entertainment value. The Mavs and the Rockets are engaged in a very watchable series, with the visitors winning every one of the first four games. And Houston’s Tracy McGrady is one of those stories about a great player trying to become a great winner that every postseason should have.

But those are the fourth- and fifth-seeded teams at work, and you expect a competitive series out of that matchup. What hurts its long-term value is the certain knowledge that if the Rockets win, they’re not going anywhere with Yao Ming playing softball in the paint. And the Mavs aren’t going to beat the Suns, should they get that far; they play a similar game, and Phoenix plays it better.

The Sonics are virtually unknown outside of the Pacific Northwest. The Kings are burdened with the baggage of too many disappointing playoffs. It’s hard to imagine that series producing anything that we’ll want to know more about — or have to know more about.

Then there are the Spurs, which should be a team to pay attention to. But in their first-game loss to Denver, San Antonio looked slow and old and hardly possessed of the qualities that would lead you to believe it could match up with either Detroit’s physicality and defense or the Heat’s all-around excellence.

If Tim Duncan were healthier, it might be different. But as great as he is, he’s not a true center and, running at maybe 80 percent, he’s not going to match up with Shaq or the Detroit Wallaces. Even if Shaq is still running at 80 percent, it’s not going to be a contest; the Spurs couldn’t beat him last year when he was with L.A., and they’re not going to do it now, with a far better team around him.

That leaves the Suns, the valedictorians of the NBA’s regular season. They swept the Grizzlies in the first round, and they score points at a faster clip than any team we’ve seen in quite some time.

Phoenix point guard, Stave Nash, is a legitimate MVP candidate and Amare Stoudemire is a great young talent in the middle. If the Suns get to the finals, it will be at least worth watching, because they are dedicated to the kind of game we haven’t seen for a while, you know, the kind where teams run and shoot well and score 100 points every night.

They beat the Heat once during the regular season, too, so they know it can be done. Still, the Suns were pushed by the Grizzlies in a couple of their first-round games. It’s hard to imagine them not buckling under the firepower that the Heat can bring to bear — Miami will be quite happy to win a game in the 100s — or the defense and half-court game the Pistons can throw at them.

We used to say that the real championship series was the Western Conference finals and the Eastern Conference playoffs were held just because the rules said they had to be. For years, that’s the way it worked.

Now, we’re saying the same thing, only with the roles reversed. The talent’s in the east, and the stories are there, too, in the form of Shaq and the defending champs. The West has one slick team, much like the Nets were in the East a couple of years ago. But few believe the Suns can actually win.

The first round is winding down, and we haven’t seen any reason to change those perceptions. Maybe some year, we’ll get back to those thrilling days of yesteryear when the NBA had two great teams, and they weren’t both in the same conference. Those were the days when the finals — the Lakers and the Celtics, if things broke right — were everything.

Maybe some year, but probably not this year.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

rickortreat

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 02:40:54 PM »
Amazeing that they get paid to write crap like this, but that's the way it is.  It doesn't matter if it's right or not, or how truthfull it is, only that they have the job and have to write something Even if it's  :puke:

But this isn't just true in sports, it's true throuought the media.  I get Investors Business Daily, to help keep me informed on the markets.  Their factual information is good, but they also have an editorial page, and print articles from syndicated columnists.  A lot of the opinions are wrong, illogical, irrational, poorly thought out, or just plan  :bs:

I was going to respond to some of the more aggregious things I read there, and sent a letter to IBD, seeing if I could get paid, since I think my posts in this area would be worth something, and if these asswipes can print garbage and get paid for it, why shouldn't I?

But IBD sent back a response indicating that they only printed things from their internal staff or sysdicated columnists, meaning that they won't pay me, reguardless of how good or significant my articles are.  This is a shame for the people out there who would benefit from my understanding of finance, economics, and the implications of policy on the markets and so on.  It's also a shame for IBD since the information I'd write would make the paper more valuable to their readers.  

I have no interest in becomming a full-time writer, but the truth matters to me a great deal, and I get annoyed when I read something that I know is wrong.  But that's just another cross I have to bear.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 03:09:38 PM »
This Miami Heat team is a better than that consisted of Gary Payton, Shaq, Kobe, and Karl?  LOL

Point #32435 about idiot sportswriters
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 03:24:45 PM »
Gary Payton?  Perhaps in trying to bolster your point you should avoiding referring to a guy who can't even guard Anthony Johnson.  

Two words guys.  Defending Champs!!!   I said when the Spurs held the title and I said it when the Lakers were defending.   This article is over the top but you can only talk so much **** about the reigning team until you actually beat them.  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 03:44:12 PM »
Gary Payton?  Perhaps in trying to bolster your point you should avoiding referring to a guy who can't even guard Anthony Johnson.  

Two words guys.  Defending Champs!!!   I said when the Spurs held the title and I said it when the Lakers were defending.   This article is over the top but you can only talk so much **** about the reigning team until you actually beat them.
defending chumps - Miami will have thier number.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jn

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 04:06:45 PM »
Gary Payton?  Perhaps in trying to bolster your point you should avoiding referring to a guy who can't even guard Anthony Johnson. 

Two words guys.  Defending Champs!!!   I said when the Spurs held the title and I said it when the Lakers were defending.   This article is over the top but you can only talk so much **** about the reigning team until you actually beat them.
defending chumps - Miami will have thier number.

Right, but until then you may refer to them as "The Duke, A number 1".  

Style point for getting that reference.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 04:28:13 PM »
Gary Payton?  Perhaps in trying to bolster your point you should avoiding referring to a guy who can't even guard Anthony Johnson. 

Two words guys.  Defending Champs!!!   I said when the Spurs held the title and I said it when the Lakers were defending.   This article is over the top but you can only talk so much **** about the reigning team until you actually beat them.
I am talking about the overall talent of last years Lakers and this years Heat.  The Lakers team was the better team but unlike Miami got hit with ALOT of injuries.  Only reason this is brought up is because of the difference between lazy, unmotivated Shaq of last year and his alter-ego in-shape really motivated Shaq.

The Pistons are the defending champs and should be treated as champs until proven otherwise.  That wasnt my gripe with the article.  The gripe was the things said in the article by someone who claims to be a sports writer
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Then there are the Spurs, which should be a team to pay attention to. But in their first-game loss to Denver, San Antonio looked slow and old and hardly possessed of the qualities that would lead you to believe it could match up with either Detroit’s physicality and defense or the Heat’s all-around excellence."

Ok so instead of judging by what the Spurs did all season he is comparing what they did in game 1 with a hurt Tim Duncan.  While at the same time comparing to what the Pistons and Heat have been doing all season long.    That makes no sense to me.  In Game 1 of the Philly/Pistons game did the Pistons show that  physicality?  AI wasnt getting demolished and C Webb wasnt getting hammered.  Game 2?  Where is that physical play?  If Wallace/Wallace arent brusing up Chris Fricking Webber then I dont know what more to say.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"he’s not a true center and, running at maybe 80 percent, he’s not going to match up with Shaq or the Detroit Wallaces. Even if Shaq is still running at 80 percent, it’s not going to be a contest; the Spurs couldn’t beat him last year when he was with L.A., and they’re not going to do it now, with a far better team around him."

By that account then Ben Wallace is not a true center either.   It wasnt Shaq who beat the Spurs last year...it was defensive adjustments made by Phil Jackson and a buzz beater by Derek Fisher.  So again, is this guy a sportswriter????  Dont you have to watch the sport you are writing about????  A far better team?  Honestly would you take this healthy Miami team over a healthy Lakers team of last year?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They beat the Heat once during the regular season, too, so they know it can be done."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  Any half-way NBA fan should know that this is a dumb statement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy seems like hes going off regular season records and thats it.  There is one thing that "scrub" Laker team last year had that this Miami team doesnt.....playoff expierence as a unit and as individual players.  The same thing the Pistons and Spurs have over the Suns.  Does that not count for anything in the playoffs anymore?  Ask Andre if he thinks expierence would have helped him.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 04:58:28 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com