Author Topic: Terry Shiavo- what do you think?  (Read 1270 times)

Rickortreat

Terry Shiavo- what do you think?
« on: March 24, 2005, 05:28:22 PM »
This is the woman who is in a persistent vegitative state, and can't even swallow food.  She is costing the taxpayers $80,000 a year to feed her, bathe her and change her linens.

CT scans show her cerebral cortex is gone, meaning that there is no chance she will ever get out of that bed by her own will.

Yet, in spite of the courts ruling in favor of the husband, who demonstrated that his wife did NOT want to be kept alive in this fashion,  your elected officials insist on trying legal manuevers to keep this woman alive, if you can call it that.

Personally, I think these elected officials are morons.  They should be worried about the people who are alive and walking around, trying to find jobs, improve their lives, make decent livings and pursue happiness.  Instead, they're worried about a brain-dead woman, who's only a liablity to society.

This is the problem with Republicans- the lie, cheat and steal they're way to power, achive it, and prove beyond a doubt that they are unfit to govern.  This is America?  I'm having a real tough time being happy with my country.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 05:58:04 PM »
Did you guys know that the footage they are using on the media  of he looking at the ballon(playing over and over and over) is made up of 20 hours of video?

I say let her go off to a better life.  She cannot function and never will get better.   Of course whatever the family wants and what she wanted to do is what should be done .  Why the whole world needs to get involved I dont know.  None of us have a real attachment to her.  Isnt there more important issues our officials and some of these people can worry about?

Im almost to a point where I think this and the whole steroids issue is nothing more than media hyped issues that the politicans are cashing in on to get more attention on themselves.  That way they have a much better chance come re-election time.  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 06:00:29 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 11:42:55 PM »
You can successfully have your medical wishes complied with by filling out a health-care durable power of attorney (DPA).  It's a form in which you can fill out all your medical wishes should you become unable to make your own decisions.  Hospital and ambulance people are thoroughly educated how to respond once they are shown this document.  The document speaks for itself.  
In addition, in it you name a health care agent whose responsibility is to see your written wishes are carried out.  Health care agent can be relative, best friend, trusted associate.  It must be signed in the presence of two witnesses, neither of whom can be the health care agent.  Thus any situations like the Shiavos are avoided.

Key is to fill it out NOW, while you are okay.  Give copies to all loved ones, keep copy in car glove compartment, etc.