Author Topic: Congrats to the Pats . . .  (Read 5625 times)

Guest_Randy

Congrats to the Pats . . .
« on: February 07, 2005, 09:50:22 AM »
Hated to see them win though.

The Eagles were:  outcoached (man, just the clock management alone was horrible -- HUGE mistakes made there); outquarterbacked (Brady was simply incredible all day -- McNabb too was awesome at times but made some CRITICAL mistakes (esp. interception on a run that would have taken them to a touchdown earlier); outdefended (the Pats put much more pressure on McNabb than the defensive line put on Brady -- Brady had WAYYY too much time to throw the ball -- McNabb didn't have enough time -- I was truly surprised by the way the Eagles offensive line struggled against the Pats; and finally outreceived -- TO got the media spotlight and truly had a great game (esp. for only being 80%) but Branch was phenomenal (including taking a pass away from the Eagles defender for a huge first down.

It WAS a great game -- the Eagles had their opportunities but inceptions by McNabb cost them the football game -- TWICE the Eagles were looking toward a score (either touchdown or field goal) but McNabb throws it right to a Patriots defender.  

Better team won!

rickortreat

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 11:54:53 AM »
The better team did not win.  The Pats were very fortunate that McNabb made too many mistakes.

I agree the Pats put more pressure on McNabb, but the interceptions had little to do with that, and more to do with McNabb making bad decisions.  The Eagles did such a good job of protecting him all year that Donavan got into the bad habit of taking even more time to throw.  He didn't have that much time against the Pats and wasn't quick enough with his reads.  There were recivers that were open on the plays he threw those picks.

Very impressed with New England's defense for doing what they did, but the Eagles still gained 369 yards, 38 more than the Pats.  They also had more first downs and fewer punts.  They did a great job of keeping Westbrook from running on them.  THe Eagles needed a power back to pound out the yards against the Pats.

It wasn't like NE's offense was dominant in the game, they were very fortunate that the game was tied at the half.  Even though the Pats came out and scored a touchdown in the 3rd, both teams had the ball and punted again before the Eagles tied the score at 14.   The score that put them up 21-14 was good, but then after stopping the Eagles on a three and out, they were stopped themselves and had to settle for a field goal.

After that McNabb gets intercepted again with 7 and a half minutes left.  This is where the Eagles lost the game.  Even with that the Pats couldn't put them away, they went three and out holding a 10 point lead.  

The Eagles scored a TD in 3:52 and then tried the onsides kick.

Brady gets credit for not making the mistakes Donovan did, but the win wasn't convincing.  Take away the interceptions and the Eagles win by 11.  
Any talk about clock management is pure stupidity.  It was the interceptions that is all.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 12:32:42 PM »
The better team did not win.

The Pats were obviously the better team.  The Eagles looked jittery all game even after getting the first score and despite the game being close.  They just didn't look like they belonged there, next year should be different, they Eagles now have the experience of playing in the big game and next year all they need is to believe they can win.  Not once did I think anyone on the Eagles, other than Owens, thought they were going to win.

Any talk about clock management is pure stupidity.  It was the interceptions that is all.

Ignoring the obvious clock mismanagement is stupidity at it's finest.  Can't believe I saw that kind of poor coaching in the freaking Super Bowl.

The Pat were better this year but IMO if Philly stays in tact and healthy they should be a lock next year.  They always find a way to blow it but I think they've run out ways to lose so all they can do next year is win.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

dbodner-lazy

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 01:16:57 PM »
Reports are actually coming out that McNabb got a concussion in the third quarter, and was holding back throwing up during the last 2 drives of the game.

still, you'd need more than a concussion to make some of the throws he made.

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 02:40:11 PM »
The better team did not win.

The Pats were obviously the better team.  The Eagles looked jittery all game even after getting the first score and despite the game being close.  They just didn't look like they belonged there, next year should be different, they Eagles now have the experience of playing in the big game and next year all they need is to believe they can win.  Not once did I think anyone on the Eagles, other than Owens, thought they were going to win.

Any talk about clock management is pure stupidity.  It was the interceptions that is all.

Ignoring the obvious clock mismanagement is stupidity at it's finest.  Can't believe I saw that kind of poor coaching in the freaking Super Bowl.

The Pat were better this year but IMO if Philly stays in tact and healthy they should be a lock next year.  They always find a way to blow it but I think they've run out ways to lose so all they can do next year is win.
What do you mean didn't look like they belonged there?  They were in control in the first half of the game, and were in it right to the end, when McNabb threw an interception.

And as far as clock management goes, anyone who talks about that is an idiot!  How long did the Eagles take to score on their touchdown?  Under 4 minutes isn't fast enough!?  As it was they had time to blow the on-sides kick and still got the ball with suffient time to get down the field. All they needed was a field goal to tie the game.  Their chances ended with an interception.

It's hard to overcome three picks in the Super Bowl.  The throws shouldn't have been made, but that is that.  McNabb knows better than anyone that the loss was his fault.

There's something seriously wrong with your thinking.  Why don't you take a look at the stats first and see that the Eagles outperformed in every area except the scoreboard.  Hurrying down the field would have been completly unecessary without the picks.  Even as it was, they had their shot to tie it at the end.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 03:01:28 PM »
Rick, they did a piss poor job of managing the clock.  There was literally a play where they challenged a call, it got overturned, the officials then started the clock back up and they STILL went to the huddle.  Not only did they waste 30 seconds there but they should have brought in the next 3 plays during those 2 minutes as well.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 03:02:37 PM »
To me McNabbs worst decision(s) were the 1st qtr one where Eagles had at worst a chip shot 20-25 yard field goal and he let himself get sacked.  Given another chance he tosses an interception.  Given a 3rd chance (on the interception-callback due to Pats penalty), he procedes to throw another.

That was at least 3 would-be pts on the board for the Eagles.

Eagles D was good in 1st half.  Had Eagles O put more points on the board and created a bit of a cushion, dk that would have given them the game but sure would have helped.

Props to T.O. he was very much a factor.
Water under the bridge but sure wish he never would have gotten hurt.

Pats simply do not self destruct.  Very sound all around.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 03:17:13 PM »
More and more reports are coming out (I heard it on ESPN Radio and 610 WIP in Philly) that McNabb did get a concussion on the 3rd quarter Seymour hit.  In fact, in the 2nd to last drive (the one where the eagles scored in their "4 minute drill") Freddie Mitchell actually called most of the plays as McNabb was gagging.

Still doesn't make me feel any better, but at least it sheds a little light on why the 2 minute drill was so awfully inept.  In Reid's post game press conference, he said that "they were trying to run a no-huddle but it just didn't work".  I should have known something was up, because it's not like they don't practice it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 03:24:54 PM by dbodner »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 03:28:17 PM »
More and more reports are coming out (I heard it on ESPN Radio and 610 WIP in Philly) that McNabb did get a concussion on the 3rd quarter Seymour hit.  In fact, in the 2nd to last drive (the one where the eagles scored in their "4 minute drill") Freddie Mitchell actually called most of the plays as McNabb was gagging.

Still doesn't make me feel any better, but at least it sheds a little light on why the 2 minute drill was so awfully inept.  In Reid's post game press conference, he said that "they were trying to run a no-huddle but it just didn't work".  I should have known something was up, because it's not like they don't practice it.
That would explain allot.  McNabb probably lost his bearing after every play.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 04:36:33 PM »
Sorry, Rick, but the best team DID win the Superbowl -- and it wasn't the team I was voting for either.

Several things:
1)  The Eagles EARNED the right to be there -- and it was a good game.

2)  The Eagles made mistakes and the Pats made them pay for it.  Brady doesn't make mistakes -- you can count on that and while McNabb had a great day offensively, the Pats really made him pay for the mistakes that he made.

3)  Bottom line was what I said BEFORE the game -- the better defensive team wins the game -- offensively these teams were too close.  The Pats pressured the Eagles offensive line and McNabb -- something that surprised me a great deal.  And the Eagles defensive line was held by the Pats offensive line -- they didn't shut Trotter down but the limited his effectiveness -- something else that surprised me a great deal.  There was one hit that the Pats running back put on Trotter that flat knocked him off his feet -- very impressive.  The Pats were the better defensive team.

Sorry to hear about McNabb -- but that doesn't explain his bumbles in the first half.  That score alone (without the interception) could have changed the whole ballgame -- but it didn't!

Congrats to the Pats!

rickortreat

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 05:05:15 PM »
Sorry, Rick, but the best team DID win the Superbowl -- and it wasn't the team I was voting for either.

Several things:
1)  The Eagles EARNED the right to be there -- and it was a good game.

2)  The Eagles made mistakes and the Pats made them pay for it.  Brady doesn't make mistakes -- you can count on that and while McNabb had a great day offensively, the Pats really made him pay for the mistakes that he made.

3)  Bottom line was what I said BEFORE the game -- the better defensive team wins the game -- offensively these teams were too close.  The Pats pressured the Eagles offensive line and McNabb -- something that surprised me a great deal.  And the Eagles defensive line was held by the Pats offensive line -- they didn't shut Trotter down but the limited his effectiveness -- something else that surprised me a great deal.  There was one hit that the Pats running back put on Trotter that flat knocked him off his feet -- very impressive.  The Pats were the better defensive team.

Sorry to hear about McNabb -- but that doesn't explain his bumbles in the first half.  That score alone (without the interception) could have changed the whole ballgame -- but it didn't!

Congrats to the Pats!
The Pats did not make the Eagles pay for their mistakes.  Three times McNabb threw a pick and on each of those occaisions, the Patriots DID NOT SCORE.

The last one, left so little time on the clock, it isn't reasonable to count, but the first pick that stopped the Eagles in the first quarter, let to a three and out by the Pats.   All it did was cost the Eagles at least 3 pts.  The next turnover was a fumble at the end of the first quarter by their tight end.  The Pats went three and out!  

The second pick was even worse, as it came with a little over 7 minutes left in the game and the Eagles down by 10.  The Patriots could have ended the game right there with another touchdown, but instead they went three and out!

Do you see a pattern of failure here by the Pats?  They did not win the game by their play.  They were not the better team.  The Eagles left too many points on the field and that was the difference.  The Pats were forced to punt 7 times and turned the ball over once on a fumble.  They only managed 3 touchdowns and a field goal.  The Eagles outgained them and made more first downs, even through the Pats forced them to throw.  They're defense didn't stop the Eagles, the Eagles stopped themselves.  Not only that, but the Pats had a lot more penalties as well.

The clock was a factor, but such a minor one in my mind.  The Pats didn't play great, they also blew alot of opportunities.  But the real difference were the picks not because of what the Pats did, but because they cost the Eagles opportunities to score.  Having another minute at the end wouldn't have made a difference, if McNabb was going to throw that pick anyway!

That's not a win by a better team.  That's a loss by a team that gave up too many balls.  So while the Patriots deserve credit for the win, they're performance on the field suggests that they were not the better team.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 06:21:03 PM »
That's not a win by a better team.  That's a loss by a team that gave up too many balls.  So while the Patriots deserve credit for the win, they're performance on the field suggests that they were not the better team.
What a crock of shit.

The Pats were better and they are wearing the rings.  Philly can go play the "what if" game AGAIN, that seems to be where they excel.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 06:49:45 PM »
Rick.....I know you are pissed (probably even more pissed than I was when Oakland choked) but the Pats were clearly the better team.  Brady was much more poised than McNabb, who rushed passes because he looked antsy.  The coaching staff for the Pats did an excellent job of calling plays on the offensive end.  The whole Pats team operated very well IMO.  This is comming from someone who was DYING to see the Eagles win on Sunday.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 08:53:16 PM »
That's not a win by a better team.  That's a loss by a team that gave up too many balls.  So while the Patriots deserve credit for the win, they're performance on the field suggests that they were not the better team.
What a crock of shit.

The Pats were better and they are wearing the rings.  Philly can go play the "what if" game AGAIN, that seems to be where they excel.
Crock of shit!?  Everything I wrote was a FACT.

You can dissagree with the conclusions, but based on the statistics they are logical.

Brady was definitely more poised than McNabb.  He had a great completion percentage in spite of being sacked twice.  McNabb still threw for nearly a 60% completion rate and attempted 51 passes. 324 yards to 219.  3 TDs to 3TD's.  The Pats were able to run on the Eagles, and the Eagles were relatively unsuccessful running, averaging 2.6 yds. a carry.  

But if they're offensive play calling was so great, why did they blow every opportunity the Eagles gave them to score on a turnover?  If the were really a better team why did they only win by a field goal?  

A better team would have scored on at least one of those turnovers, and taken control of the game.  A better team would have WON the game that way.  A better team would have siezed the opportunity to put the game out of reach,  or to have scored first.

If you want to say the Pats are better because they make fewer mistakes, even that's not true.  What is true is that the Eagles made bigger mistakes and those mistakes cost them the game.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 11:10:26 AM »
Rick...the play calling was great because they did a good job of slowly getting the job done.  Instead of trying to be like McNabb and air out a pass for the big kill they were taking small jabs over and over and over.  Just because they didnt score off the interceptions doesnt mean the play calling is bad.  You can call a play but to complete the play is up to the players.  Brady did have a few overthrown passes but he did not try to force anything.   The Patriots are not a team that shoots themselves in the foot.  The decision making between both coaches and both QBs showed in the game.  Especially comming down to the last half of the 4th quarter.

Uhh the Pats did win because they made fewer mistakes.  If McNabb didnt try to force that touch down that got intercepeted the Eagles would have scored and you wouldnt be showing how bitter you are.  If McNabb and the coaching staff would have got into a hurry up offense instead of walking to the huddle and line of scrimage they may have had at least 1 or 2 extra plays to run.  They may have even caught the Pats defense off guard before they really got to set up.  Not only did the Pats make less mistakes.....they also made better decisions all the way around.

The Patriots are the better team whether you want to believe it or not.  They have more poise, more expierence, and more than one way to attack.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 11:11:59 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com