Author Topic: George Karl accepts Nuggets job  (Read 1702 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
George Karl accepts Nuggets job
« on: January 27, 2005, 08:48:07 PM »
I assume this has already been posted, but I can't get my screen to refresh, so here we go.  Derek delete this if it has already been posted.

Karl will debut against team that fired him in '03
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 09:47:34 AM »
IMO this is a good thing for Denver.  They have some decent talent but they need a strong coach to get tehm to pull together.  Hopefully Karl can get the young guys (specifically ME-lo) to buy in to his system....I don't think he will have problems with the vets.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 09:51:42 AM »
Never been a George Karl fan.  We'll see.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 10:07:15 AM »
It ususally takes him 4-5 years to wear on the players.   During that period he seems to get good effort from them.  As long as Kiki doesn't give him too much input into personnel decisions.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 03:25:25 PM »
IMO this is a good thing for Denver.  They have some decent talent but they need a strong coach to get tehm to pull together.  Hopefully Karl can get the young guys (specifically ME-lo) to buy in to his system....I don't think he will have problems with the vets.
LOL @ Me-Lo

Im not sure what the problem with Denver is.  They have solid players all around.  The only problem I see is that there is no true leader on the team.  IMO, Boykins should step into that role  :D  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 03:26:36 PM »
IMO this is a good thing for Denver.  They have some decent talent but they need a strong coach to get tehm to pull together.  Hopefully Karl can get the young guys (specifically ME-lo) to buy in to his system....I don't think he will have problems with the vets.
LOL @ Me-Lo

Im not sure what the problem with Denver is.  They have solid players all around.  The only problem I see is that there is no true leader on the team.  IMO, Boykins should step into that role  :D
Opps that was me!

Also...wouldnt it be great for Karl to get Melo/Miller to play like Payton and Kemp use to?  Melo has fresh young legs and Miller is a good passer.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 04:31:05 PM »
koast I disagree that they have "solid players all around."  They are massively deficient at the two guard, particularly in terms of ability to shoot the three.  Vo Lenard's injury really hurt them in that regard.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 09:21:56 AM »
While Denver has some strong young players, they have HUGE chemistry problems -- they were already having those problems when they brought in KMart, who definately made those problems MUCH worse.  They don't have a legit shooter, other than the injured Voshon.  This is a talented young team but it reminds me, almost, of a younger Portland version -- too many troublemakers and egos to make it work (and most of them are so overpaid that you won't ever be able to get rid of them).

I would like to see Michael Cooper get a shot at coaching in the NBA but I'm glad he didn't get that chance in Denver -- what a messed up group.

And Me-lo?  WAYYYY overrated, IMO.  A cheaper (and lesser) version of VC, IMO.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 10:07:59 AM »
They certainly do have some chemistry problems and some ego's.  Nene, who for some reason doesn't get credit as a malcontent.  He literally punched a teammate in brazil becuase he wasn't passing him the ball enough.  yikes!  him and kmart hit it off almost before an official practice took place.  then melo, miller....it could get ugly.

But most of them aren't overpaid (yet).

And I don't think Melo's half as good as VC was when he was at the top of his game.  I was a huge melo fan coming out of college, but he's been a serious disappointment.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 03:07:19 PM »
I think both Miller and KMart are overpaid -- obviously, Melo isn't and I'm not sure what Nene is making.  I agree that Nene is a headcase -- with an anger problem -- problem is that I'm not sure that KMart is much better.  

Who will they trade:
     Miller or Melo?  Can't see them trading Melo and I'm not sure they COULD trade Miller -- that's a pretty big contract.
     KMart or Nene?  Can't see them trading KMart because of his contract -- they paid him too much money but who wants Nene?  Most GM's, I think, recognize him as a chemistry problem so who wants that (esp. since the guy has been VERY disappointing this year on the court).