Author Topic: Is next mornday's game big for the Spurs/Sonics?  (Read 913 times)

Guest_Randy

Is next mornday's game big for the Spurs/Sonics?
« on: January 26, 2005, 09:36:26 AM »
The Spurs have been on a tear recently -- the Sonics have been incredibly steady since the season began -- the Sonics have also already beaten the Spurs twice this season -- does Monday's game carry more significance for these two teams?  I think it does for Seattle, IMO, because a win establishes them as a serious threat for the Western Conference title -- their wins against SA (earlier in the season) came by 19 and 6 points.  

I'm not sure that this means a lot for the Spurs -- they aren't a young and inexperienced team but it would definately be good to not allow the Sonics to build their confidence by getting beat again (and being 0-3 for the season).

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 10:08:11 AM »
The Spurs have been on a tear recently -- the Sonics have been incredibly steady since the season began -- the Sonics have also already beaten the Spurs twice this season -- does Monday's game carry more significance for these two teams?  I think it does for Seattle, IMO, because a win establishes them as a serious threat for the Western Conference title -- their wins against SA (earlier in the season) came by 19 and 6 points.  

I'm not sure that this means a lot for the Spurs -- they aren't a young and inexperienced team but it would definately be good to not allow the Sonics to build their confidence by getting beat again (and being 0-3 for the season).
IMO opinion it's a meaningless game unless the Sonics win.  You can chalk up the other Sonics wins to not taking the Sonics seriously which alot of teams did earlier.

IMO the Spurs will grind down the Sonics and they will be forced to try and stay in the game with 3's.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 03:34:04 PM »
I dont believe a Sonic's win will put them up with the Spurs.  Once the playoffs come around the wins will mean little IMO.  They will not be able to out shoot the Spurs for 4 games in the playoffs.  I have a better chance of winning the lottery........

Speaking of winning the lottery, we had an 81 million jackpot a few weeks ago.  Well, the one day I decide not to goto the 7-11 I stop at everyday after work  to get something to drink they manage to sell the winning lottery ticket =/  Aint that a B*@&#?  I even bought a lottery ticket but at a different 7-11.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 03:35:27 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 03:43:01 PM »
The Sonics are a different kind of jumpshooting team -- it's not like they are out at the perimeter jacking up three's (although they do shoot quite a few of those) -- they use the pick and roll and rebound the ball VERY well (far better than you think -- I think their rebound differential is like 6th in the league).  Their interior defense has really stepped up this year -- so it will be interesting.

I don't think that it means a lot if SA loses -- except for one thing, it sure gives the Sonics a WHOLE lot of confidence facing SA down the stretch.

I'm not sure the "jumpshooting" rule applies to Seattle -- the way the use the pick and roll gives them a lot of midrange shots -- and midrange shots to Ray Allen isn't much different than TD's 18' jumper -- both are deadly accurate.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 03:49:49 PM »
The Sonics are a different kind of jumpshooting team -- it's not like they are out at the perimeter jacking up three's (although they do shoot quite a few of those) -- they use the pick and roll and rebound the ball VERY well (far better than you think -- I think their rebound differential is like 6th in the league).  Their interior defense has really stepped up this year -- so it will be interesting.

I don't think that it means a lot if SA loses -- except for one thing, it sure gives the Sonics a WHOLE lot of confidence facing SA down the stretch.

I'm not sure the "jumpshooting" rule applies to Seattle -- the way the use the pick and roll gives them a lot of midrange shots -- and midrange shots to Ray Allen isn't much different than TD's 18' jumper -- both are deadly accurate.
They are still a jumpshooting team no matter how they go about getting those jump shots.  They have one post player that they dont use on the block enough and thats Lewis.  While hes a good post up player hes not quite the same post up player that alot of other teams have.  Last night when they played the Lakers their weakness as shinning thru in the first half.  They live and die by shooting from the field well.  In fact if Radmonvich had not lit up like an old x-mas tree with bad lights the Sonics would have had a heck of a time winning last night.  Of course he was shooting well and they ended up smacking the Lakers around at the end.  They do rebound very well, Forston leading the rebound grabing crew, but they also give up a number of shots in the paint.

Their defense leaves much to be desired also.  You get to watch em more than I do but the games I have seen, the Sonics have a tough time with dribble penetration.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com