Author Topic: Are the Suns for real  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Are the Suns for real
« on: January 11, 2005, 12:12:11 AM »
30-4 puts them in 2nd place all time for record after 34 games.

The only game I caught was the Spurs handling them.  I'm willing to concede the Suns had an off night combined with Popazit seeing the light that spreading the ball around works wonders for the Spurs.  

I've seen tidbits of other games.  They looked good but also wonder if those jumpers are going to keep falling.  I can't see Q doing his 3pters in the playoffs but then again....Also cant see Stoudamire waltzing down the lane for dunks like he does every other play.

Are they another Dallas Mavs of 2002 or whatever year the Mavs had the great start.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Are the Suns for real
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 09:40:24 AM »
Yes and No.  The Suns are for real but they will not last in the playoffs.  They are mostly a perimeter team but unlike Seattle they have Amare to patron the lane and work inside when they need him.  Amare is averaging more dunks per game than Shaq, he is definately for real but his bull to the basket routine will not last in the playoffs when he goes up against a defender with a rep like Duncan or KG.

They will be alot like the Mavs, hot regular season team that will falter in the playoffs unless they focus more on the inside game.  They are the funnest team to watch.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Are the Suns for real
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 09:42:54 AM »
The other thing to watch is the number of minutes the starters play.  Nash is avg 34.4 and the other 4 are averaging over 36 a game.  Their "sixth man" averages only 18.7 minutes a game.  Those kind of minutes will wear on a team by the time the playoffs roll around.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

Are the Suns for real
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 09:45:12 AM »
I think comparing this years Suns to the previous Mavs team is a poor comparison.  The Mavs didn't have ANY kind of post defense or offense and lacked in rebounding -- that's not quite the same with the Suns.  While the Suns don't have quite the interior defense that is true of SA, Detroit, Miami, etc. -- they still have a better interior defense than the Mavs had, IMO.  Also, note that the Suns play a swarming zone defense that is 2nd in the league in opp. 3pt%.  That translates to their players getting back to cover perimeter shooters behind the arch.  

Besides, Amare inside is a greater force in the paint than anything the Mavs had (Dirk is still a perimeter player not a post player).

I think the Suns have to prove that they can beat the Spurs consistently and solidly before they can get their hopes up of any real shot at an NBA title.  The Suns have a LOT of weapons and I don't think you are going to silence all those weapons.  Amare is SOOO quick that I'm not sure that anyone in the league can guard him one-on-one -- and that means that the Suns take advantage of any double teams that come with great outside shooting.  You also better have a good transition defense against the Suns because they are going to run on you -- and they run very very well.