Author Topic: Malone IS NOT returning to Lake-show hes PISSED  (Read 3700 times)

guest-koast

Malone IS NOT returning to Lake-show hes PISSED
« on: December 07, 2004, 09:29:27 PM »
"Karl is furious," agent Dwight Manley said Tuesday. "He felt very disrespected and betrayed after personally being the first to stand up for Kobe over the last year throughout his rape charge and all he went through."

Manley said remarks made by Bryant on Monday, coupled with what the agent called "recent personal attacks made in private," led Malone to his decision.

Asked if Malone might play elsewhere, Manley replied: "This certainly opens up that possibility."

Bryant told XTRA on Monday he didn't believe Malone, who is recovering from knee surgery, would come back to the Lakers, calling it "just intuition."

"It's not really fair to hold it over the guys' heads that are here," Bryant said. "The guys that we have here are working hard, practicing hard every day. It's kind of tough for them to be looking over their shoulder, wondering if he's going to come back and then everybody is going to disappear.

"They are here giving me 110 percent. It's really not fair for us to sit around and speculate how long this is going to go on. I mean, you can't sit up here and speculate for the remainder of the season whether or not he is going to come back. I mean, that's not fair to the guys that are working here."

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said in a statement he hoped Manley's comments did not accurately reflect Malone's feelings about returning to the Lakers.

"If so, it is unfortunate that he would make such a decision based on the reason given," the statement added. "Kobe Bryant's interview ... merely reflected his personal opinion that Karl would probably not return to play this season. Kobe did not at any time state that Karl was not returning, nor was Kobe speaking on behalf of the Lakers management or organization."

Malone, 41, told the Lakers on Oct. 1 he was still recovering from arthroscopic surgery he underwent three months earlier on his right knee and wasn't ready to play. But he didn't rule out returning at some point this season or beyond.

Malone, the second-leading scorer in NBA history, opted out of his $1.65 million contract following last season, making him a free agent.

After playing 18 seasons for the Utah Jazz, Malone joined the Lakers before last season in search of his first championship. He took a pay cut of about $18 million to sign for $1.5 million.

"Karl sacrificed financially to come to L.A., he sacrificed personally," Manley said. "He put his name and reputation on the line, put his arm around Kobe and said he was a good kid, tried to be his friend, told people to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"And now, basically, to get stabbed in the back, that's how he feels. This has ended any possibility of Karl returning to the Lakers in any capacity."

Malone and Bryant live about six blocks apart in Newport Beach.

Manley said his client is fully recovered from knee surgery and 100 percent physically.

"Karl will have something to say, probably in the next month or so, about his future," Manley said. "It will likely be after the first of the year. I'm personally crossing my fingers that he decides to play."

Several teams, including San Antonio, Minnesota and Miami, expressed interest in Malone during the offseason.

While with the Lakers, Malone was one of the few players who was close with both Bryant and O'Neal. Bryant signed a $136.4 million contract last summer to remain with the Lakers while O'Neal was traded to Miami.

Malone played in 1,434 of a possible 1,444 regular-season games with the Jazz, but missed 40 games with the Lakers - 39 after tearing a knee ligament Dec. 21 against Phoenix.

He returned in March and played a key role as the Lakers reached the NBA Finals before losing to the Detroit Pistons in five games.

Malone reinjured his knee in Game 2 of the finals, was limited in Games 3 and 4 and didn't play in Game 5. The Lakers lost the last three games.

Malone had played in 193 straight playoff games with the Jazz and Lakers before having to sit out the last game of the finals.

Considered one of the best power forwards in NBA history, Malone averaged a career-low 13.2 points and 8.7 rebounds in 42 games last season, leaving him with career averages of 25.0 points and 10.1 rebounds.

His 36,928 points in 1,476 games trails only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who finished his career with 38,387 points in 1,560 games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I dont think the comment is wrong, disrespectful, or at all taking a shot at Karl but obviously Karl is pissed.  So.....im pissed too!  Kobe makes a good point but as usual, needs to watch what he says.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 09:41:49 PM »
This is par for the course for Karl. He'll make up with Kobe in a couple of weeks.

He and Larry Miller have been through this kind of soap opera so many times, I've lost count.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 11:16:03 PM »
I dont think so Ted, I think this is Karl getting out of a team that probably wont even make the playoffs.  Maybe he will go to miami, but why - even with shaq they wont win a title, maybe to the T-wolves, i am sure kevin and his gang would like that....or maybe, just maybe, he will look towards San Antonio - best start ever, more than likely the next NBA champion...it will be interesting to see if Pop gets a call form Karls agent in the next few days...

guest-koast

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 12:04:09 AM »
I dont think so Ted, I think this is Karl getting out of a team that probably wont even make the playoffs.  Maybe he will go to miami, but why - even with shaq they wont win a title, maybe to the T-wolves, i am sure kevin and his gang would like that....or maybe, just maybe, he will look towards San Antonio - best start ever, more than likely the next NBA champion...it will be interesting to see if Pop gets a call form Karls agent in the next few days...
I dunno Ted knows Malone as a player/person better than anyone else being a huge jazz fan.  With that being said, if he wants to win a ring he would go to SA.  If he wants to really test himself he will sign with the Lakers.

Honestly at this point its a no-brainer to go with the Spurs IMO.  Pretty much any team is willing to pick him up after what he did for the Lakers last year.  So he has a choice.  The Spurs are the most consistant and expierenced team in the league right now.  

Even tho I dont think Kobe is wrong it frustrates me that he cannot keep his chompers from flapping around.  I was once told the less you say, the more you say.  I am glad he is actually using the media to make his teammates feel better instead of using it to take shots at Shaq.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 01:53:21 AM »
"It's not really fair to hold it over the guys' heads that are here," Bryant said. "The guys that we have here are working hard, practicing hard every day. It's kind of tough for them to be looking over their shoulder, wondering if he's going to come back and then everybody is going to disappear.

"They are here giving me 110 percent. It's really not fair for us to sit around and speculate how long this is going to go on. I mean, you can't sit up here and speculate for the remainder of the season whether or not he is going to come back. I mean, that's not fair to the guys that are working here."

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said in a statement he hoped Manley's comments did not accurately reflect Malone's feelings about returning to the Lakers.

"If so, it is unfortunate that he would make such a decision based on the reason given," the statement added. "Kobe Bryant's interview ... merely reflected his personal opinion that Karl would probably not return to play this season. Kobe did not at any time state that Karl was not returning, nor was Kobe speaking on behalf of the Lakers management or organization."

Read Kobe's comments very clearly.  I will highlight the most important passage of all,

The Kupchack says,
"Kobe did not at any time state that Karl was not returning, nor was Kobe speaking on behalf of the Lakers management or organization."

Mr. Kupcake, I think you need to read Kobe's comments, the team is giving him 110%, not the Lakers, not the coaches, they are giving it to Kobe, so at least in Kobe's mind he is speaking for the Lakers, you just didn't get the memo.  Note to Mitch, that isn't a good sign.

Phil was right, Kobe is incredibly self centered and narcisstic.  The Laker players are giving Kobe 110 percent?  I don't think so "OH Righteous One".
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 08:55:59 AM »
come on Karl.....we got a spot waiting for you....... :D  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 09:37:08 AM »
Why is it that Karl didn't go to the Spurs before -- the very same reason he will be very reluctant to go to the Spurs now.  The Spurs can't and won't offer him a starting PF spot -- will they?  Are they going to move TD to center and allow Karl to start?  Nope!  They are going to bring him off the bench and play him 20 minutes a night -- Malone isn't going to agree to that.  Miami has Haslem playing well at PF but they would gladly give Malone a starting spot at PF -- and Malone would help Miami out a great deal.  I don't see Malone going to the Spurs and I don't see him going to the Kings for the same reason -- Dallas COULD use a PF like Malone but I doubt that Malone is interested.  I think Malone plays in Miami if he plays anywhere.

And I understand Kobe's reasoning -- he's tired of answering questions about when and if Malone is coming back and you want to focus on what you DO have -- not what you DON'T have -- but Kobe SHOULD have made his comments in that fashion (listen, we need to focus on our present team -- it would be great to have Karl join us but until that happens, we are going to focus on who is here now -- not on who isn't here -- something along those lines.).  As for Karl?  Karl's feelings get hurt VERY easily -- but what makes him angry today is gone tomorrow.  And notice that so far, it's only his agent making these comments and his agent is an IDIOT!!! and has proved it many times.  I don't think Malone plays for LA this year -- it just doesn't help him accomplish his goal of a ring since LA will make the playoffs, IMO, but they will get knocked out quickly.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 10:43:48 AM »
Malones best and really only shot at a title is San Antonio or or Minnesota, I don't see a Wolves deal but I definately see him with the Spurs, and no, really don't blame him for his anger at Kobe, Kobe is a selfish idiot. I hope he goes to San Antonio and gets his ring, because at this point in the season at any rate, the Spurs look like the team to beat.
Dan

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 10:47:32 AM »
YES RANDY! Dwight Manley IS and idiot.

And I agree with most of you, Karl will not play with the Lakers. The reason he always made up with Larry Miller is that they are both hypersensitive, but ultimately forgiving people. Kobe probably is the first, but may or may not be the second.

I love the "giving ME 110 percent."

How big is this guy's ego?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

OutWest

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 11:19:34 AM »
Kobe if an idiot, but what else is new.

I still think Karl is a dirty player but after last year I feel for the guy and I hope he gets his ring somewhere.  IMO SA is his best shot, they are in the same position as the Lakers last year, the ex-champ.  The ex-champ needs that little something to put them over the top, IMO they'll win without him anyway, but at least the illusion of him putting them over the hump is there for Karl.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 11:20:55 AM »
YES RANDY! Dwight Manley IS and idiot.

And I agree with most of you, Karl will not play with the Lakers. The reason he always made up with Larry Miller is that they are both hypersensitive, but ultimately forgiving people. Kobe probably is the first, but may or may not be the second.

I love the "giving ME 110 percent."

How big is this guy's ego?
Funny how when Tim Duncan says my teammates are giving ME alot of effort tonight its Ok.  Or any other super star in this league.  Ive heard KG say it 50 times in the last few years.  "We are playing well, the guys are giving me all the support I could ask for".

Why is it that when Kobe, the sole leader of this team, makes a comment like this hes selfish (which he is but dont see how this instance adds to that) but when anyone else does its just the leader of the team talking?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 11:40:47 AM »
It's a bigger deal when Kobe says it because he ran off one of the greatest players in history and a coach with 9 rings.  

guest-koast

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 11:43:42 AM »
It's a bigger deal when Kobe says it because he ran off one of the greatest players in history and a coach with 9 rings.
 :huh:

How many times does Jerry Buss have to say it was a business issue because Shaq was asking for too much money before people finally get that it wouldnt have made sense to resign Shaq for the amount of money he wanted.

Guest_WayOutWest

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 11:52:31 AM »
Hell-O, Shaq was pissed because the Lakers/Buss made him promises if he was able to get some FA's to come to the Lakers and then the Lakers/Buss didn't honor their promise.  On top of that Bitch Cupcake makes those stupid comments about trading Shaq....so PLEASE!

Phil is another story.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 12:00:32 PM »
Jn, I just can't agree with you that Kobe "ran off Shaq and PJ."  Did Kobe have some input into the decision -- sure -- but let's understand what Shaq WANTED for the next few years.  

Here are some BIGGER reasons why Shaq is no longer a Laker:
1)  He wanted the MAX he could get and at least a three year extension -- Shaq and Kobe's contracts alone would almost make up the entire salary cap -- and MOST players in the league today aren't interested in playing for peanuts -- even if it does give them a shot at a title.
2)  Look at Shaq's conditioning in the past three years.  Do you REALLY believe that Shaq would have been in BETTER shape if he had remained a Laker?  No, absolutely not -- from the 2nd championship on, Shaq was in horrible conditioning -- his lack of quickness alone was one of the main reasons the Lakers lost to the Pistons.  Ben Wallace made him look like he qualified for AARP.  The reason Shaq got in great shape in the off-season was BECAUSE he was with a new team -- if he had stayed with the Lakers, I'd lay money his conditioning would be worse than last year -- not better.
3)  Hmm, here's the choice -- a dominant out-of-shape Shaq who won't help you win another championship because he isn't in shape or a chance at getting something for him so that you don't have to go back to scratch in rebuilding.  

These factors, IMO, had at least as much to do with Shaq no longer being a Laker as any of Kobe's input.  Buss has ALWAYS done what he wants -- in spite of having some of the best basketball minds in the business (Jerry West, Tex Winters, etc.) telling him otherwise.  Buss likes Kobe -- so he listened more to Kobe than anyone else -- that's not a secret.

PJ's demise:  Does anyone really believe that PJ would have been back if he had been offered the chance?  I don't think so.  And I don't think there's much point in him being there without Shaq -- the Lakers weren't going to be a great ballclub but at least strive to make them as competitive and exciting as possible.  Running makes them more exciting -- not the triangle offense.  And the Lakers don't have a great post defender/rebounder -- so let them run as much as possible.  

Kobe is egotistical -- but I think it's a little funny that people want to dissect every word he says even when he says the same things as others.  But it's worse when he says it because blah, blah, blah.  Kobe IS egotistical -- I think an NBA player who ISN'T egotistical is an exception in todays NBA.  MJ was one of the most egotistical players in the league -- but he understood the TEAM concept -- so was Pip -- the list goes on and on and on.  Most high school "stars" are incredibly egotistical -- some of that comes with having a high competitive drive -- something that achieving in the NBA demands.  Not saying that makes it right -- I enjoy those players who seem to be able to remain a humble player but still play at high level -- unfortunately, there aren't too many of them.  It's one of the reasons that I like TD -- the most fundamental player in the league but still manages to strive to not be an egomaniac like most players in the NBA.  There are a ton of role players in the NBA that are egomaniacs -- including some who never even get off the bench.  Not saying that Kobe is egotistical but I don't believe he is any more so than KG, CWebb, and some of the other players in the league.