Author Topic: Which team is the biggest surprise this year?  (Read 1033 times)

Guest_Randy

Which team is the biggest surprise this year?
« on: November 30, 2004, 04:07:23 PM »
Both positive and negative?

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 04:26:14 PM »
Positive honors:  
    Seattle Supersonics:  They aren't as good as their record but they suddenly seem to be a lock for the playoffs, I would have said they were a "hopeful" playoff team at the beginning of the year.  Danny Fortson is the difference here, IMO.  And Nate ought to treat him to dinner EVERY night -- because Fortson might have just saved his butt from the firing squad.

Honorable mentions:
      Cleveland:  Without Boozer?  I thought this team was going DOWN!  LeBron is proving himself night in and night out (let's still wait a little while on the MJ coronation party, okay -- like 8 or 9 years?) and the Cavs are right in the thick of things (thanks in part to a healthy Ilgauskas -- how long can that last?).
      Utah Jazz:  Okay, they had the best off-season but still, how many picked them to do this well?
      Orlando Magic:  Most everyone (me included) thought that the Magic ended up on the worse end of the TMac trade -- but suddenly the Magic are playing decent ball.  A lot of this can be attributed to a healthy Grant Hill, who is looking like an MVP candidate.  
      Miami Heat:  Everyone knew they would be better with Shaq in the middle but most didn't pick them to do this well.  Wade is having an incredible year with Shaq and Haslem (PF) is doing well in addition -- the Heat really need a reliable 3rd weapon but they are still better than I thought they would be.
      Phoenix Suns:  I don't think anyone picked them to be playing this well this soon.  Steve Nash is proving all his critics (including a certain owner in Dallas) wrong by leading the Suns to playing incredible ball.  Do they have the frontline to win in the playoffs?  No, not in my opinion.

Negative Honors:
     Houston Rockets:  Yeah, I know, there was a ton of hype to live up to but so far, Houston doesn't look as good as it was last year.  JVG still hasn't gotten TMac to buy into a team concept at either end of the floor and JVG still shows that he doesn't have a clue on how to use Yao in the offensive scheme (other than just "give him the ball" at times).  

Honorable mentions:
           Minnesota TWolves:  Okay, they aren't playing horrible -- along the lines that they played last year before they got their act together.  I just thought since they had worked through that last year, it would carry on into this year.  It's obvious that it isn't KG's fault.  One has to wonder if Spree and Cassell's attitude toward their contract negotiations aren't spilling onto the court.
           Denver Nuggets:  Hmm, weren't they the talk of the town along with Houston before this season began?  KMart was going to put them over the top, wasn't he?  This team has some HUGE chemistry problems -- too many "I's" for a coach to try and turn into "TEAM," IMO.
           Memphis:  Okay, I know they've had a lot of problems with injuries but this team just nosedived.  Is Hubie's health affecting this team or is this team affecting Hubie's health?
           Philly:  Did anyone expect them to be this bad?  I sure didn't.  The coach seems to be really changing things up yet -- it seems like they have a new starting line-up each game.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 05:10:40 PM »
Philly: Did anyone expect them to be this bad? I sure didn't. The coach seems to be really changing things up yet -- it seems like they have a new starting line-up each game.

Huh?  We won 33 games last year.

We've played the hardest schedule in the league thus far, have 4 new starters, told grob and kenny thomas to basically take a hike, are starting two rookies, and a second year player, and we're 1 game under .500 (an improvement).

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 05:32:57 PM »
Utah Jazz:  Okay, they had the best off-season but still, how many picked them to do this well?

They are 8-6.....I think a lot of people predicted they would play better than .500 ball.  In fact many predicted that they would compete for the division title.   I wouldn't call the Jazz season a surprise at all.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 05:38:04 PM »
Philly: Did anyone expect them to be this bad? I sure didn't. The coach seems to be really changing things up yet -- it seems like they have a new starting line-up each game.

Huh?  We won 33 games last year.

We've played the hardest schedule in the league thus far, have 4 new starters, told grob and kenny thomas to basically take a hike, are starting two rookies, and a second year player, and we're 1 game under .500 (an improvement).
bods . . .

I actually thought Philly would be BETTER this year than last -- and I STILL don't understand the Kenny Thomas thing -- what's up with that?  I know he's a little small for PF but he is VERY dependable.  I can understand the Dalembert a little -- great athletic talent but a little slow on understanding the current gameplan -- but that isn't what it appears with Thomas -- any clues?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 05:41:52 PM »
Seattle and Phx have to be the biggest suprise teams so far this year.  NO ONE picked these teams to do anything but barely make the playoffs.  Right now they are playing some of the best, most efficient basketball in the western conference (Nash leading the league in assists and Seattle leading the league behind the arc).  These teams both do deserve props for how they got out of the gate.

The Lakers are not a suprise but ALOT of people (even people here in Southern California) were expecting them to play well below .500 basketball all season long and have very little chance against the better teams in the league.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 05:43:26 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 07:32:18 PM »
Well...Randy, they ARE playing better than last year.  And it's reflected both in their record and in their play, that's the point.

As for Kenny, who knows.  He was playing horribly to start the season, and O'brien had a short leash on him.  When he was benched, Kenny complained about it, and has pretty much been completely out of the rotation since (except for one game that he got like 14 minutes because of foul troubles).  He doesn't seem to be gettiing along with o'brien