Author Topic: Reality - Westcoast  (Read 1430 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reality - Westcoast
« on: October 09, 2004, 12:07:58 AM »
Didn't get to see the game, so what did you guys think of Scioscia's decision to pull KRod, and bring in Washburn?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Reality - Westcoast
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 12:28:49 AM »
Didn't get to see the game, so what did you guys think of Scioscia's decision to pull KRod, and bring in Washburn?
Bad move!  Half the office was on mlb.com (you know the website on the 'Internets'  :D  ) with the little HTML play-by-play in front of them cheering when Vlad hit that grand slam.....only to have Scios pull a bone head move later in the game.  I don't see the logic behind it.

Sad but im a dodger fan ....and they are in a bad position themselves.  Im not that hurt, at least now.  We will see tommorow.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 12:29:43 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Reality - Westcoast
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 10:27:28 AM »
Either
a.)leave KRod in or
b.)Percival
were the logical and only choices to me.

He did say in postgame interview that KRod had thrown 40 pitches the night before as well as this game.  Hello!  KRod used to be a starter.  Still I will prop Scocia for looking out for KRods health.  I dont think another batter would have hurt him but Scocia says that was the reason he took him out so I'll respect that.  Nonetheless Washburn over Percy?  Horrible.  Bubba Cox did the right thing in bringing in his closer Schmoltz when ATL was behind 2-1 in the 8th.  Good move by Bubba.

All i can say is it gives Kurt Shill more rest to kill Skunks in Game 1.  Also will start Game 4 on proper rest.

Shill in 2001 vs Skunkies was sweet.

zig on the same subject of managerial meltdowns and relievers, could you and all believe the BoSox relievers walking 3 runners with a 6-1 lead?  :bash:  Including a based loaded walk!  
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 10:43:57 AM by Reality »

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
Reality - Westcoast
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 06:18:14 PM »
Either
a.)leave KRod in or
b.)Percival
were the logical and only choices to me.

He did say in postgame interview that KRod had thrown 40 pitches the night before as well as this game.  Hello!  KRod used to be a starter.  Still I will prop Scocia for looking out for KRods health.  I dont think another batter would have hurt him but Scocia says that was the reason he took him out so I'll respect that.  Nonetheless Washburn over Percy?  Horrible.  Bubba Cox did the right thing in bringing in his closer Schmoltz when ATL was behind 2-1 in the 8th.  Good move by Bubba.

All i can say is it gives Kurt Shill more rest to kill Skunks in Game 1.  Also will start Game 4 on proper rest.

Shill in 2001 vs Skunkies was sweet.

zig on the same subject of managerial meltdowns and relievers, could you and all believe the BoSox relievers walking 3 runners with a 6-1 lead?  :bash:  Including a based loaded walk!
For his career Ortiz was 2-7 against Washburn, and 1-10 against Percival.  Ortiz definitely hits righties better than lefties, but he has stuggled against hard throwing closers.  For his career he is 9-48 (.188) against hard throwing righthanded closers, but of that he has owned Mariano Rivera going 5-10 against him.  So throwing Riveria out he is 4-38 (.105) against righthanded closers who throw hard.  That tells me go with Percival, and see if you can get an inning or 2 out of him.
This is one case where I agree with Bill James.  He believes that it is foolish to always pitch your best pitcher only when you are ahead, the typical closer approach.  In this situation go with your best pitcher, and hope you can score some runs in the next inning.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Reality - Westcoast
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 10:10:39 AM »
Im suprised Lima hasn't came up since you guys are speaking about pitchers in the post season.  He just had a very excellent game against one of the better offensive teams in the league.  His control was there.  He got the players to chase after pitches that ended up as pop ups and ground balls.  He was just plain awesome.

Tracy really had to make a tough call and decided to stick it out with Lima.  That one strech where he had like 3 pitches that looked like he couldn't control em had me worried.  Expected Gange to come out.......but they stuck with him and he was great.  The defense really backed him up and Shawn Green and Steve Finley really gave him run support.  Although I must say the call on the bunt with Lima was bad.  Lima even saw the ball hit the bat as he ran which is why they kept showing him shaking his head and arguing like a guilty child at school in the princepal's office.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 10:12:08 AM by westkoast »

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
Reality - Westcoast
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 10:25:43 AM »
Im suprised Lima hasn't came up since you guys are speaking about pitchers in the post season.  He just had a very excellent game against one of the better offensive teams in the league.  His control was there.  He got the players to chase after pitches that ended up as pop ups and ground balls.  He was just plain awesome.

Tracy really had to make a tough call and decided to stick it out with Lima.  That one strech where he had like 3 pitches that looked like he couldn't control em had me worried.  Expected Gange to come out.......but they stuck with him and he was great.  The defense really backed him up and Shawn Green and Steve Finley really gave him run support.  Although I must say the call on the bunt with Lima was bad.  Lima even saw the ball hit the bat as he ran which is why they kept showing him shaking his head and arguing like a guilty child at school in the princepal's office.
I posted this below regarding Lima and the Dodgers, in the thread about Gardenhire and Rincon.  

Twins/Yankees and Dogers/Cards games were the same with 2 different decisions. In both cases the teams facing elimination were up by 4 runs, with the starting pitchers dominating great offensive teams. In one the manager pulled the starting pitcher at some "pre-determined" pitch count and because the pitcher sat to long. In the other the manager went with his starter until he showed sign of struggling. In the one where the manager went to the bullpen 2 to 3 innings early, they lost. In the one where the manager went with his starter, until he showed signs of losing control of the game, they won.

Tracy played it right.  Lima had a big lead, and he went with him until he got in trouble.  In Lima's case he didn't get in trouble.  But if he had then he would have went with Brazoban in the 7th or 8th, and then Gagne after that, whenever he needed to.  Nathan and Gagne had similar seasons.  Tracy was planning on bring him in when he was ahead, while Gardenhire waited until the score was tied.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Reality - Westcoast
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 04:43:19 PM »
Also have yet to hear why Lima started Game 3 instead of Game 2.

He does have a much better record at home and perhaps that is why.  Still, Weaver for Game 2?  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Reality - Westcoast
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 10:58:34 PM »
Also have yet to hear why Lima started Game 3 instead of Game 2.

He does have a much better record at home and perhaps that is why.  Still, Weaver for Game 2?
 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

:alcohol:  :alcohol:  :alcohol:

:D