Author Topic: Mutombo agrees to be traded to Rockets  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Mutombo agrees to be traded to Rockets
« on: September 07, 2004, 02:38:09 PM »
Good move for Rockets.

Houston gets: Mutombo
Chicago gets: Eric Piatkowski, Adrian Griffin and Mike Wilks

"It is where I have wanted to be all along," Mutombo told the Houston Chronicle on Monday in Johannesburg, South Africa, where he is participating in the NBA's Basketball Without Borders-Africa outreach program. "I told them a long time ago that it was my wish, and I'm so happy that it was granted."

Mutombo thinks playing for Houston will be a "perfect fit," playing alongside starting center Yao Ming, the Chronicle reported in its online edition Monday night. Mutombo told the newspaper he agreed to the deal involving Eric Piatkowski, Adrian Griffin and Mike Wilks on Friday. He said he had already talked to Rockets assistant coach Patrick Ewing and others.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 02:50:04 PM »
Really think its a good move?  I was hoping Deke would finally retire.  To me, I dont see him going another full year.  Seems like hes just not able to get up quick enough to block shots like he use too.

I guess even if he can play 15 minutes it will give Yao some rest and the Rockets will still have somewhat of a shot blocking threat.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 02:51:49 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 03:01:50 PM »
I think Deke is done as a player.  He was never that coordinated to begin with, and his play seems to have really deteriorated over the last year and a half. But I guess as long as someone is willing to pay him he may as well take the money.

Houston will need to do something more to put them in contention.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 03:04:41 PM »
For the price yes.
I look at him as like a 12th man that any relief he gives to Yao is a plus.
I know they will use him as more of an 8th 9th man, but for what they gave up yea I think it was a good trade.  
Occasionally they could dabble with Yao and Tumble, as in end of quarter end of games where they held a lead and were just looking to rebound.

He had some okay games the latter part of last season.
In the current NBAs ultra lame center status yes Tumble is still legit.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 03:10:49 PM »
For the price yes.
I know they will use him as more of an 8th 9th man, but for what they gave up yea I think it was a good trade.  
Occasionally they could dabble with Yao and Tumble, as in end of quarter end of games where they held a lead and were just looking to rebound.

Is he getting 1.5?  If so then its not that bad of a pickup.  I'm with Rick on this one tho.  His play has dropped off in the last 2 seasons.  Still like you said with the lack of quality center's and even less amount of decent backups at the 5 its not that bad of a pick up.  Anything that can put Yao on the bench for 10-15 extra minutes for a rest or to stay out of foul trouble is good news for Houston.

The way things are shaping up in the west they could finish in the top 4.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 07:01:54 PM »
For the price yes.

Is he getting 1.5?  If so then its not that bad of a pickup.  I'm with Rick on this one tho.  His play has dropped off in the last 2 seasons.  Still like you said with the lack of quality center's and even less amount of decent backups at the 5 its not that bad of a pick up.  Anything that can put Yao on the bench for 10-15 extra minutes for a rest or to stay out of foul trouble is good news for Houston.

The way things are shaping up in the west they could finish in the top 4.
Deke definitely isn't getting $1.5 million.  He signed a mega deal a few years back, and Houston is on the hook for something like $12 million.  Of course his entire amount comes off next year, one year before Yao gets his mega deal, so Houston should be able to pay Yao and still remain outside the tax.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 07:02:38 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 08:13:40 PM »
Deke definitely isn't getting $1.5 million. He signed a mega deal a few years back

Deke was bought out by the NJ nets.  They're still owe 1 year @ 14 million on that salary, then he was signed to a new deal with NY that has 1 year @ 4.5 million remaining.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 09:27:06 AM »
Deke definitely isn't getting $1.5 million. He signed a mega deal a few years back

Deke was bought out by the NJ nets.  They're still owe 1 year @ 14 million on that salary, then he was signed to a new deal with NY that has 1 year @ 4.5 million remaining.
So they picked up the 4.5 from NY or NY has to pay a portion of that?  I never really learned about how all this contract stuff works.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 10:02:02 AM »

So they picked up the 4.5 from NY or NY has to pay a portion of that?  I never really learned about how all this contract stuff works.
Dewke was traded from NY to Chicago in the Crawford deal.  Unless Deke agreed to a buy out with either NY or Chic (he didn't) then his contract is unchanged.  Also NY could have agreed to pick up part of the salary but didn't.  Chicago has now traded Deke to Houston....Houston absorbs the entire contract and gave up equal amounts of salary.  In fact I read that Houston is picking up part of Griffin's salary in this deal.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 11:07:44 AM »

Dewke was traded from NY to Chicago in the Crawford deal.  Unless Deke agreed to a buy out with either NY or Chic (he didn't) then his contract is unchanged.  Also NY could have agreed to pick up part of the salary but didn't.  Chicago has now traded Deke to Houston....Houston absorbs the entire contract and gave up equal amounts of salary.  In fact I read that Houston is picking up part of Griffin's salary in this deal.
Ahh ok.  Thanks Lurker.  Do teams normally pick up portions of contracts to sweeten the deal?  Or are there alot of other reasons they will help pay?  

Sorry for the questions, I always have steam come off my forehead when yourself, Ziggy, DB, and others go deep into the contract stuff.