Author Topic: The chances of O'Neal being traded . . .  (Read 996 times)

Guest_Randy

The chances of O'Neal being traded . . .
« on: June 23, 2004, 03:32:59 PM »
I'm reading some of the reports about whether or not O'Neal would be traded -- here are some scenarios that I DON'T think will happen that are being mentioned:

Miami - umm, sure the Lakers would be interested in Wade and EJ but since Wade was a rookie last year it doesn't come close to the salary needed -- I guess if you threw in Brian Grant it might come close but then Miami wouldn't have a lot to make a serious title run -- and Shaq doesn't want to go somewhere where he can't have the shot at another title.

Clips - Shaq already nixxed this one -- Brand, a draft pick and another player for O'Neal.

Pacers - Jermaine and another player (drooling over the idea of Al Harrington) and then a young guy (like Bender) -- but why would Indy WANT this trade?  With Shaq, they would rule the East sure -- but he isn't going to play beyond two or three years -- do they sell their future for a couple of years of glory?  Not IMO.

Detroit - umm, why would Detroit want this?  It flat doesn't make any sense.  They are playing GREAT team ball -- sure, they would love Shaq in the post but they would lose some of their team defense by doing so -- Ben Wallace is a better team defender AND a better rebounder than Shaq is right now -- sure, Shaq is a better post player but you take GREAT risks at ruining chemistry -- I think Dumars is smarter than this.

New Jersey - Well, they have said that Kidd and Jefferson can't be touched so why would the Lakers want this trade?  Could you imagine Shaq in the post with Kidd and Jefferson on the wings?  NJ would LOVE to trade Martin and junk for Shaq and while Martin would help the Lakers in the post -- he would be only be taken as a sideshow with Kidd or Jefferson.  

Philly - I have heard this mentioned with AI and Dalembert but this is dumb, IMO.  First, without AI the team doesn't have enough firepower and two, Philly's management isn't going to trade AI (who has a tremendous following in Philly and sells seats) for Shaq (who isn't going to sell seats like AI would, IMO).  Not to mention I don't think Shaq would approve.

Portland - I have heard Randolph plus players for Shaq but I really don't see this one happening either.  Sure, it's mentioned because Allen has the money to pay Shaq but Portland is trying to improve their image and Shaq isn't going to push them over the top -- they are already strong in the frontcout -- they need help in the backcourt -- and LA ISN'T going to take Damon and Patterson off their hands.

San Antonio - This one doesn't even make sense.  Would Shaq guarantee the Spurs a title?  Well, with TD perhaps he would -- mainly because the Spurs would be the best rebounding team in the league and no one -- no matter WHAT they did could stop them in the post.  But why would the Spurs trade their future for the present?  I sure don't see that happening.  The Spurs would have to trade Parker, Rasho (PLEASE tell me why LA would want Rasho), and another player -- and LA would probably push for Manu.  I don't see this being a good trade for either team (although the Lakers would be happy to have a good young point guard like Parker).  This would be dumb for SA and while I don't think that Pop is a very good offensive coach -- I don't think he is stupid -- esp. in the area of personell.

Which brings us to the only teams that I really believe are legit:

Memphis with Pau Gasol, Jason Williams, James Posey, etc.  This team has a LOT of young players and they are getting ready to move into a NEW stadium with some real pricy box seats -- Shaq would do a LOT to help sell out those nice box seats and Memphis has enough young talent to still have some left after the trade.  It would bring Shaq and Jerry West back together (something Shaq would like) and Hubie would be a good coach for Shaq.  The Lakers, in return, would be getting a solid post player (something they HAVE to do with the trade) as well as some potential players who can help at positions the Lakers are currently weak at -- PG, SF and PF.  This trade has a LOT of possibilities.

Dallas -- If the Mavs could pull a trade off with the Lakers, they have enough talent to go all the way.  With a squad like this:  Nash, Finley, Daniels, Howard, Antoine Walker, Nowitzki, Najera and Jamison the Mavs have enough firepower to trade some of their pieces and still be a contender for the NBA title.  The Mavs have always been a post player away from being a legitimate contender and Shaq would definately fill that void.  They already want to dump Nash (and the PG position is one the Lakers NEED to upgrade) and they need to trade Walker or Jamison (we DON'T want Walker, hear that Mitch?) and then they have some  young filler to throw in to sweeten the pot like Howard or Daniels in addition to a hard nosed player like Najera.  With Finley, Dirk, Walker, Daniels or Howard and Shaq, this team would definately be a contender.

I have read that many believe that the Lakers will not trade Shaq to a team in the Western Conference who would knock them out of title contention.  Umm, this is  :crazy:  -- who thinks that without Shaq the Lakers are going to be title contenders any more?  I don't!  I do believe they can trade Shaq and get enough to begin to build another team that CAN compete in 2 or 3 years -- and it's why I believe the Lakers SHOULD trade Shaq -- otherwise the Lakers will not only not be contenders next year but will go through the dark ages of rebuilding once again -- I don't want to see that happen.  Trade Shaq -- for all you can get -- but make SURE, Mitch, that you don't get robbed blind by Jerry West -- I have sooo much confidence in Mitch Kupchak.  :unsure:

This is a tough choice -- I would love to have Pau Gasol or Steve Nash playing for the Lakers -- I guess I would rather have Nash and Jamison than Gasol and whoever they would add to the pot.  I can tell you that I DON'T want Nash if it means we have to take Antoine Walker -- Kobe already takes all the bad shots we have available but at least Kobe plays defense.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 03:37:30 PM »
Philly - I have heard this mentioned with AI and Dalembert but this is dumb, IMO. First, without AI the team doesn't have enough firepower and two, Philly's management isn't going to trade AI (who has a tremendous following in Philly and sells seats) for Shaq (who isn't going to sell seats like AI would, IMO). Not to mention I don't think Shaq would approve.

AI doesn't have a tremendous following in philly.

he has a strong appeal across the country (as evidenced by road attendance figures and jersey sales), but philly would get over a trade of ai.  especially something that brought a title.  so, ultimately, is something gets philly closer to winning the fans wouldn't care.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 03:44:48 PM »
Philly - I have heard this mentioned with AI and Dalembert but this is dumb, IMO. First, without AI the team doesn't have enough firepower and two, Philly's management isn't going to trade AI (who has a tremendous following in Philly and sells seats) for Shaq (who isn't going to sell seats like AI would, IMO). Not to mention I don't think Shaq would approve.

AI doesn't have a tremendous following in philly.

he has a strong appeal across the country (as evidenced by road attendance figures and jersey sales), but philly would get over a trade of ai.  especially something that brought a title.  so, ultimately, is something gets philly closer to winning the fans wouldn't care.
I don't think that Shaq brings Philly closer to winning a title -- do you?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 04:10:29 PM »
I think it's a lot easier to put pieces around shaq to win a title than to put pieces around ai (a 6' shooting guard who can't shoot) to win a title.