Author Topic: Malone opts out, IMO a positive move for L.A.  (Read 1878 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Malone opts out, IMO a positive move for L.A.
« on: June 17, 2004, 02:10:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind a 100% 41 year old Malone as the Lakers starting PF.  In fact based on the options available Karl would be my prefernce.

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Associated Press
LOS ANGELES -- Karl Malone became a free agent Wednesday by not informing the Los Angeles Lakers that he was exercising the option on his contract.

His agent, Dwight Manley, said it was strictly a business decision and that if Malone plays for anyone next season, it will be the Lakers.

Lakers spokesman John Black said the team expected the move because Malone would have locked himself into a lower salary than he likely will be able to negotiate should he decide to play.

"His options are unlimited now," Black said.

After earning around $19 million in the 2002-03 season with the Utah Jazz, Malone joined the Lakers last summer, signing a two-year contract with a player option for the second year. He earned $1.5 million this season and would have made $1.65 million next year had he exercised his option.

Retirement is a distinct possibility for Malone, who turns 41 this summer and is the second-leading scorer in NBA history. He missed 39 games after tearing a ligament in his right knee last December, and injured the same knee again in the playoffs.

"The first priority for him is we're going to meet with doctors this week and have MRIs done on both legs, specifically his right leg," Manley said. "He has made it clear he won't play if he's not 100 percent healthy.

"I believe his heart and his competitive juices are in L.A. because he came so far and was such a factor in the Lakers' success."

Malone, who played the first 18 years of his career with the Jazz, signed with the Lakers in hopes of winning his first championship. But it didn't happen as they lost to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals in five games -- the finale a 100-87 setback on Tuesday night.

Malone watched from the bench in street clothes because of the knee injury.

Injured in the Western Conference finals against Minnesota, he had his knee drained five days before the finals began. He was hurt again in Game 2 of the finals and was clearly hampered in Games 3 and 4, limited to a total of 39 minutes.

He then decided to sit out Game 5. The Lakers were a different team without Malone at full strength.

"I just couldn't go (in Game 5)," he said. "Those were two of the most difficult games I've ever played. I got hurt on a freak accident. I made a cut and it just went out on me."

Manley said Malone doesn't regret signing with Los Angeles.

"He's very sure he made the right choice," Manley said.

Malone was close to Shaquille O'Neal before joining the Lakers and became even closer afterward. He also bonded with Kobe Bryant.

Malone, Bryant and Manley, who all live in Orange County, flew home together from Detroit. The 25-year-old Bryant has said Malone is like a big brother to him.

Malone's career in Utah was virtually injury-free -- he played in 1,434 of a possible 1,444 regular-season games with the Jazz.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 02:27:05 PM »
I'll be interested to see what comes of this.

I highly doubt Malone will take much less than way GP is going to make, if he plays at all. He did say he would only play for the Lakers, that's a good thing.

I don't know about him taking a pittance this year. Practically every year I've watched him until this year, he has complained about money at some point during the season. Last year may have shown us a change, or it may have been an aberration.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 02:55:00 PM »
A healthy Malone makes the Lakers alot better. If he can play, he'll go where he has the best chance to win a ring.  He may leave LA for another place, depending on what happens with Kobe, Phil etc.

Think Houston might be interested?  It's a lot closer to home for Karl there.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 02:59:07 PM »
I'm not sure how the CBA applies here.....

I'm not sure if you get to use the MLE every year whether or not you used it in the previous year.  Last year the Lakers used the MLE on Payton and the LLE on Malone.  If Payton exercises his option to play for L.A. one more year at last year's MLE, + a marginal raise, can the Lakers then use this year's MLE, aprox 5 Mil, on Malone now that he's an FA?

There is alot of talk about what the Lakers WILL get if they sign and trade Kobe.  Kobe doesn't have to do the Lakers any favors and he can just walk away.  The middleground would be the Lakers might have to sign and trade Kobe to a team Kobe wants to goto if Kobe has decided not to stay in L.A.  That being the case Kobe will most likely want to goto a contender.  SA, HOU, INDY, SAC and DAL.  On the outside PHX, NJ, PHL, GRIZ and MINY.  What can the Lakers hope to get in return from those teams?

I don't know about the salaries but some combo's of:

SA-Manu/Rose/YoungBackcourtGuy(Brown?)
HOU-Francis-or-Mobley/Cato
INDY-Artest/Harrington/Pollard-or-Croshere
SAC-???
DAL-Walker/Daniels/FatPFfromGS
PHX-Marion/JJohnson
NJ-Martin/Jefferson
PHL-Cryverson/Dalambert
GRIZ-???
Miny-???

Just some thoughts, I hope he stays at Staples for either L.A. team.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 03:14:52 PM »
Kobe is in a strong situation here, and if he decides to leave he can screw LA if he so decides- probably a good idea if he wants to go to another team that can win right away.

LA is probably the best place for him with Shaq still there, but he may be sick of the whole thing. All the endorsement and National exposure limits him to LA or NY/NJ.  NY is out of the question.  NJ would be very smart to get Kobe, if they could keep Kmart and Kidd as well, they'd be ready for a shot. Not sure what NJ could deliver though. Jefferson and another guy or two, but that would be a bad trade for LA.  If they loose Kmart there's no point in Kobe going.

Philly?  Well, they won't trade Dalembert, but maybe Iverson, Coleman and or Robinson.  Doubt that Kobe would want to come back, but the fans will stop booing him if he does.

Maybe Kobe and Karl can wind up in Houston together, that might work out for everyone.  Francis and Cato go to LA, and Kobe gets to be the star wit support from big brother Malone and Yao.

Can't see SA doing that deal with LA, sort of like a trade with the Devil!

Dallas should want to do that deal in a heartbeat.  Get rid of Walker, but it still won't solve their need for an inside presence.  

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 03:49:54 PM »
I'm not sure how the CBA applies here.....

I'm not sure if you get to use the MLE every year whether or not you used it in the previous year.  Last year the Lakers used the MLE on Payton and the LLE on Malone.  If Payton exercises his option to play for L.A. one more year at last year's MLE, + a marginal raise, can the Lakers then use this year's MLE, aprox 5 Mil, on Malone now that he's an FA?

There is alot of talk about what the Lakers WILL get if they sign and trade Kobe.  Kobe doesn't have to do the Lakers any favors and he can just walk away.  The middleground would be the Lakers might have to sign and trade Kobe to a team Kobe wants to goto if Kobe has decided not to stay in L.A.  That being the case Kobe will most likely want to goto a contender.  SA, HOU, INDY, SAC and DAL.  On the outside PHX, NJ, PHL, GRIZ and MINY.  What can the Lakers hope to get in return from those teams?

I don't know about the salaries but some combo's of:

SA-Manu/Rose/YoungBackcourtGuy(Brown?)
HOU-Francis-or-Mobley/Cato
INDY-Artest/Harrington/Pollard-or-Croshere
SAC-???
DAL-Walker/Daniels/FatPFfromGS
PHX-Marion/JJohnson
NJ-Martin/Jefferson
PHL-Cryverson/Dalambert
GRIZ-???
Miny-???

Just some thoughts, I hope he stays at Staples for either L.A. team.
The mid-level exemption can be used every year, and Paytons contract was signed last year, so it has no impact on thsi years MLE.  The Lakers can sign Malone for the MLE this year, and still retain Payton.  The Lakers cannot use the other exemption because they used it on Malone last year, and you only get it every other year.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 04:27:17 PM »
The mid-level exemption can be used every year, and Paytons contract was signed last year, so it has no impact on thsi years MLE.  The Lakers can sign Malone for the MLE this year, and still retain Payton.  The Lakers cannot use the other exemption because they used it on Malone last year, and you only get it every other year.
ziggy,

What's the thought process behind having the MLE EVERY year and only having the LLE every OTHER year?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 05:49:34 PM »
ziggy,

What's the thought process behind having the MLE EVERY year and only having the LLE every OTHER year?
I really don't know.  It seems rather foolish to me.  If anything it should be the other way around.  You get a $3 mil exemption every year, and a average salary exemption every other year.  THe reason for the mid-level exemption was that the vast majority of teams are over the cap, so without this, most players would move at the veteren minimum, or not move at all.
One thing with the every other year exemption is that it cannot not be split amongst 2 players.  There is a max amount you can spend, but it goes to only 1 player, and of course you are not obligated to spend the max amount.  With the mid-level you can split the exemption (the league wide average salary, this year around $5.3 million) amongst as many players as you would like, so you could sign one for $3.3mil, and one for $2mil.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil