Author Topic: Bird's comments about white superstars in the NBA  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bird's comments about white superstars in the NBA
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 02:16:18 PM »
Ooooh! WoW pulls out the unstoppable "you are not capable of understanding what I meant to say" ploy.

There's no beating that one!
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 02:27:09 PM »
Ooooh! WoW pulls out the unstoppable "you are not capable of understanding what I meant to say" ploy.

There's no beating that one!

I thought you worked with books?  :nonono:

Wrong Randy.

Males 18-45 are the prized marketing segment in the US.  Within that group whites are the cream of the crop because of their income and spending habits.  That's who the NBA wants but that's not who the NBA's getting.  How do you explain JWills jersey being the 2nd most popular in 2000, second only to the most dominant regular season player of all time Shaq?  How do you explain Mark Madsen being told by more than ONE NBA GM that he would have a solid carreer because he was white?  How many SORRY players who hustle and are white become fan favorites?  How many black?

The NBA AND HBO did a marketing study to prove those tendencies.

If you don't believe me just look at boxing, see how the majority of fans are split amoungst fighters.  Of course you have your cross over athletes but there is a base theme as far as who cheers for who.

Larry Bird was not talking about anyone in particular, just the overall fan group.  Your segment may or may not fall into that catagory, I think they do based on some ignorant comments you've made in the past.  Your LIMITED test group is not the end all study, not to mention some of your OTHER ignorant comments in the past back up my belief of your sheltered life.

No offense to you Randy but some of your viewpoints not relating to b-ball show you have very limited exposure to a diverse world.  I still love ya!  :cheers:
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 06:22:16 PM »
lol -- and I think YOU need a reading comprehension course -- just ignore the parts that you don't like?  Is that it!

Your claim that players (I assume) like Mark Madsen and Luke Walton are fan favorites just because they are white -- I think that's a RIDICULOUS assumption -- they are fan favorites because they work so hard -- like Brian Grant was in Portland, like Reggie Evans is in Seattle, like PIG MILLER was in LA (back in the dark ages) -- same with Madsen and Walton.  But because I don't make it all about race that makes me naive -- yeah, I get it!

And that WAS my whole point -- is that I am a segment of the white market that the NBA IS appealing too -- and while I'm sure I'm not the only segment, it's definately much higher than your original post leads credence to.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 08:17:42 PM »
lol -- and I think YOU need a reading comprehension course -- just ignore the parts that you don't like?  Is that it!

Your claim that players (I assume) like Mark Madsen and Luke Walton are fan favorites just because they are white -- I think that's a RIDICULOUS assumption -- they are fan favorites because they work so hard -- like Brian Grant was in Portland, like Reggie Evans is in Seattle, like PIG MILLER was in LA (back in the dark ages) -- same with Madsen and Walton.  But because I don't make it all about race that makes me naive -- yeah, I get it!

And that WAS my whole point -- is that I am a segment of the white market that the NBA IS appealing too -- and while I'm sure I'm not the only segment, it's definately much higher than your original post leads credence to.
Randy,

Get back to me when you can find a Jersey from the non-white guys!

Ignoring certain points is your specialty.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2004, 12:20:12 AM »
lol -- and I think YOU need a reading comprehension course -- just ignore the parts that you don't like?  Is that it!

Your claim that players (I assume) like Mark Madsen and Luke Walton are fan favorites just because they are white -- I think that's a RIDICULOUS assumption -- they are fan favorites because they work so hard -- like Brian Grant was in Portland, like Reggie Evans is in Seattle, like PIG MILLER was in LA (back in the dark ages) -- same with Madsen and Walton.  But because I don't make it all about race that makes me naive -- yeah, I get it!

Randy,

WOW, you can actually BUY a Reggie Evans jersey here in Seattle -- sorry, you didn't want to actually be bothered by the facts, did you?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2004, 01:36:43 AM »
Mark Madsen is the one and only white crappy hustle player who gets any props.  He was a fan favorite in LA because he was the only one aside from Kobe who always tried and he was a fan favorite in Wolves country because he tried real hard.

There are no crappy black hustle players in the league so why bring that up as an example.  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2004, 09:21:18 AM »
How about Brevin Knight?  Or Bo Outlaw?  Or Scott Williams?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 09:22:36 AM by Joe Vancil »
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2004, 01:57:04 PM »
lol -- and I think YOU need a reading comprehension course -- just ignore the parts that you don't like?  Is that it!

Your claim that players (I assume) like Mark Madsen and Luke Walton are fan favorites just because they are white -- I think that's a RIDICULOUS assumption -- they are fan favorites because they work so hard -- like Brian Grant was in Portland, like Reggie Evans is in Seattle, like PIG MILLER was in LA (back in the dark ages) -- same with Madsen and Walton.  But because I don't make it all about race that makes me naive -- yeah, I get it!

Randy,

WOW, you can actually BUY a Reggie Evans jersey here in Seattle -- sorry, you didn't want to actually be bothered by the facts, did you?
There are tons of back hustle players.  Outlaw, Fisher and Rose to name a few but their jersey sales were nowhere near that of guys like Madsen, Calaprini or Williams.  I'll try and dig up the link to the stats compiled by the NBA and HBO in regards to marketing demographics.

I can't believe people are actually arguing this, it's pretty obvious people tend to root for their own.  Immediately jumping up and adamently proclaiming "but NOT ME!" is funny.  :huh:  It may or may not be you in particular nor your circle of friends but it's a given fact.  I don't know any hispanics on welfare or state assistance, and I know hundreds or them, but that doesn't mean that the numbers compiled by the gov regarding who recieves the money is false because of the people I know.  Same goes for whites that I know.  Whites and hispanics make up a HUGE majority of welfare/assistance recievership, over 80%.

It's about marketing and demographics, those people earn a living by knowing our tendencies, and our tendencies overall are what they are at this point.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2004, 02:15:29 PM »

Randy,

There are tons of back hustle players.  Outlaw, Fisher and Rose to name a few but their jersey sales were nowhere near that of guys like Madsen, Calaprini or Williams.  I'll try and dig up the link to the stats compiled by the NBA and HBO in regards to marketing demographics.

I can't believe people are actually arguing this, it's pretty obvious people tend to root for their own.  Immediately jumping up and adamently proclaiming "but NOT ME!" is funny.  :huh:  It may or may not be you in particular nor your circle of friends but it's a given fact.  I don't know any hispanics on welfare or state assistance, and I know hundreds or them, but that doesn't mean that the numbers compiled by the gov regarding who recieves the money is false because of the people I know.  Same goes for whites that I know.  Whites and hispanics make up a HUGE majority of welfare/assistance recievership, over 80%.

It's about marketing and demographics, those people earn a living by knowing our tendencies, and our tendencies overall are what they are at this point.
This isnt just a white only thing tho.  Every single race supports their own.  From hiring in the work place to court cases.  I actually paid attention in my sociology class ;)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com