Author Topic: Malone's injury same as earlier????  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Malone's injury same as earlier????
« on: June 10, 2004, 02:14:34 PM »
See bolded statement below.....

Malone Hints He Has Torn Knee Ligament

By CHRIS SHERIDAN
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) - Karl Malone remained uncertain Thursday whether he would play in Game 3 of the NBA Finals, saying the knee injury he sustained in Game 2 is exactly the same as the injury that sidelined him for 39 games during the regular season.

Malone has chosen not to undergo an MRI on his right knee for an injury the Lakers are calling a sprained medial collateral ligament. The team also used that description when Malone originally injured the knee in December, though it turned out he had a torn ligament.

"No one has to tell me what injury I have. When you've had it once before, it's a lot easier to say 'This is what that is.' I don't think it's one of those situations where an MRI would do anything for me," Malone said at the Lakers' morning shootaround. "Remember last time it was a sprain? And it was a tear. They're saying it's a sprain, so we'll say it's a sprain. It's a hell of a sprain."

Malone expected to meet with coach Phil Jackson later in the day to discuss whether he would play against the Detroit Pistons with the series tied 1-1. Slava Medvedenko would be his likely replacement at power forward, with rookie Brian Cook the backup.

Realizing Malone was injured during Game 2, the Pistons repeatedly isolated Rasheed Wallace against him.

"Cats went at me when I was bobbling in the Jersey series and the Indiana series," Wallace said. "So you've got to go at a weak link on the floor."

Malone, wearing a fishing hat and speaking in a somber tone that was befitting for a cold, gray, rainy morning, could not hide his disappointment at being injured at such a critical stage of what could be his final NBA season. He said he was considering sitting out a game and returning for Game 4, calling it "the million-dollar question," but he also doubted whether two days of rest would make much difference.

"Right now it's my attitude to play," Malone said. "It's a fine line that I walk, having this 'I can play through anything' attitude or hurting the team. But I think we'll be smart about it."

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 03:10:36 PM »
See bolded statement below.....

Malone Hints He Has Torn Knee Ligament

By CHRIS SHERIDAN
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) - Karl Malone remained uncertain Thursday whether he would play in Game 3 of the NBA Finals, saying the knee injury he sustained in Game 2 is exactly the same as the injury that sidelined him for 39 games during the regular season.

Malone has chosen not to undergo an MRI on his right knee for an injury the Lakers are calling a sprained medial collateral ligament. The team also used that description when Malone originally injured the knee in December, though it turned out he had a torn ligament.

"No one has to tell me what injury I have. When you've had it once before, it's a lot easier to say 'This is what that is.' I don't think it's one of those situations where an MRI would do anything for me," Malone said at the Lakers' morning shootaround. "Remember last time it was a sprain? And it was a tear. They're saying it's a sprain, so we'll say it's a sprain. It's a hell of a sprain."

Malone expected to meet with coach Phil Jackson later in the day to discuss whether he would play against the Detroit Pistons with the series tied 1-1. Slava Medvedenko would be his likely replacement at power forward, with rookie Brian Cook the backup.

Realizing Malone was injured during Game 2, the Pistons repeatedly isolated Rasheed Wallace against him.

"Cats went at me when I was bobbling in the Jersey series and the Indiana series," Wallace said. "So you've got to go at a weak link on the floor."

Malone, wearing a fishing hat and speaking in a somber tone that was befitting for a cold, gray, rainy morning, could not hide his disappointment at being injured at such a critical stage of what could be his final NBA season. He said he was considering sitting out a game and returning for Game 4, calling it "the million-dollar question," but he also doubted whether two days of rest would make much difference.

"Right now it's my attitude to play," Malone said. "It's a fine line that I walk, having this 'I can play through anything' attitude or hurting the team. But I think we'll be smart about it."
The bold comment would mean something.........if he wasnt the blackest redneck this side of the colorado.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 03:22:33 PM »
Ahhh....but it sounds like Malone is ready to "go fishin" as the Jet & Chuckster would say.   :D  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 03:31:32 PM »
The bold comment would mean something.........if he wasnt the blackest redneck this side of the colorado. [/quote]
 So what if he is a redneck? He's clean and moral and decent. I much prefer him over these gangsta' street thug punk jokes that populate the current NBA. That's like that racist punk little puke Spike Lee saying he wouldn't choose Malone to be on his allstar team because essentially, he isn't "black enough" based on his viewpoints and stand on certain issues. Just like people wouldn't give AC Green any props but rather made fun of him because he chose to remain a virgin until he legally married. The punks that have "street cred" with today's fan are part of what's wrong with society, they lower the standards people (sports fans) find acceptable because they flaunt any sense of decency and morality that used to exist in the world. Kobe didn't start getting props and support until he got all tatted up and proved he is as big a whore as any of the rest of these punks, basically, he became a whore himself to be approved, how sick is that?

Personally, I can't see what anybody, black, white, or brown, can see in that bilge they call country music, but it beats gansta rap by along sea mile and if Malone likes it, does it make him less black? No, he just has a different taste, one that generally leans away from music that denigrates and objectifies women and screams racism and hate from the highest hill, which is what a very, very, large percentage of rap does, firmly cementing it in my my mind as the garbage it is.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 03:58:13 PM »
Quote from: westkoast,Jun 10 2004, 12:10 PM
The bold comment would mean something.........if he wasnt the blackest redneck this side of the colorado.
So what if he is a redneck? He's clean and moral and decent. I much prefer him over these gangsta' street thug punk jokes that populate the current NBA. That's like that racist punk little puke Spike Lee saying he wouldn't choose Malone to be on his allstar team because essentially, he isn't "black enough" based on his viewpoints and stand on certain issues. Just like people wouldn't give AC Green any props but rather made fun of him because he chose to remain a virgin until he legally married. The punks that have "street cred" with today's fan are part of what's wrong with society, they lower the standards people (sports fans) find acceptable because they flaunt any sense of decency and morality that used to exist in the world. Kobe didn't start getting props and support until he got all tatted up and proved he is as big a whore as any of the rest of these punks, basically, he became a whore himself to be approved, how sick is that?

Personally, I can't see what anybody, black, white, or brown, can see in that bilge they call country music, but it beats gansta rap by along sea mile and if Malone likes it, does it make him less black? No, he just has a different taste, one that generally leans away from music that denigrates and objectifies women and screams racism and hate from the highest hill, which is what a very, very, large percentage of rap does, firmly cementing it in my my mind as the garbage it is. [/quote]
 Sounds like you are a redneck Dan  :rofl:

I was just kidding.....lighten up.  My point was that he is into outdoor activities, like fishing.  Not to start a debate on the image of NBA players or how they dress.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 04:27:51 PM »
Dude, I know you meant nothing by it, and I wasn't slamming you for the comment, no offense was intended, but Malone has been slammed for being a "redneck" his whole career and I frankly don't see where today's fan thinks if they aren't doing drugs, listening to gangsta rap, throwing their wives out of the house with no clothes on, and full of tats and cornrows, NBA players are somehow not "legit".

And no, I am not a redneck, I was grew up dirt poor in the Varrio's de East Los, my favorite music is blues (REAL, Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf blues), Rock and or Roll, and 60's and 70's funk and soul, and even lowrider oldies, I hate country music with a passion,  so I guess those things might make me a "legit" homie.

However, I also hunt and fish, mountain bike like a madman, have a big lifted and totally set up Moab rockcrawler Chevy truck, and I love live Broadway theatre (especially musicals), my daughter and I have flown to New York just to see a show and turned right around and come home afterwards, and I have and associates and Bachelors degree, and only one tatoo, so maybe that shoots my "street cred"

I suppose my point is it take all kinds to make the world go 'round and however bizarre it is to see a country music loving, hunting fishing, truckdriving, black man in the NBA, I say he is still preferable to the current crop IMO.
Dan

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 05:48:35 PM »
Hey, if it makes anyone feel better, I'm a redneck!  That opera thing and the coat and tails I have is probably the only thing that fools people but there isn't anything that lures fish like a little Le Traviata on the lake (I do leave the coat and tails at home).  

I think that everyone should be allowed to have their own tastes in music, dress, etc. but there's a lot of trash that shouldn't be making it into the hands of young kids.  Of course, that wouldn't happen if they had parents that were responsible (see, had to throw in a politically incorrect statement).

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 12:27:41 AM »
Dan this has nothing to do with being a homey, listening to gangsta rap, or having tatoo's.  You are trying to twist things around because you personally dont like that image.  I am not defending guys who try to act thugish but you are acting like if these players dont act this way then no one cares about em.  Or better yet if they dont act that way they are going to be picked on, made fun of, and people are going to look at them in a bad light.   I dont remember the last time ive seen a player be patted on the back for being gangsta.  Maybe in some 12 year olds circle of friends but other than that I dont think I (or you) can name a time they were applauded for that.  The bad boys dont get more endorsments.  They dont get any special attention other than the media covering the story like flies on ish.  What happend to Iverson after he got busted being thugish?  Big backlash.  What happend to Kobe when he was Mr. P-I-M-P?  Backlash.  What about when KG tried to be thuggish?  Backlash.

Malone has been made fun of for being a redneck not because he doesnt have street cred.  People who joke about him, like Jimmy Kimmel, arent doing so because they think he needs street cred.  They do it because its funny.  Hearing the phrase 'I like to hunt squ-erel' in Malone's accent is quite funny to me.  I dont think Jimmy Kimmel or myself are trying to poke fun at Malone until he joins the crips in Compton.

Maybe I think its funny because deep down I want him to have more street cred.......cuz god knows what the hood is buzzing about makes all the difference on the basketball court.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 12:31:59 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 12:36:47 AM »
Kobe didn't start getting props and support until he got all tatted up and proved he is as big a whore as any of the rest of these punks, basically, he became a whore himself to be approved, how sick is that?

You need to come back to a planet we call Earth Dan, all the rape trial did for Kobe is give people more ammo to tear him down.  I don't the new "cred" Kobe is getting.  You can go on any sports message board on the internet with people posting from all over the world and Kobe's street cred has not gone up in value.

Personally, I can't see what anybody, black, white, or brown, can see in that bilge they call country music, but it beats gansta rap by along sea mile...

I don't think you now shyte about what you call gangsta rap.  I posted the lyrics to some gangsta rap and challenged everybody to post lyrics from any genre of music that conveyed such a powerful and truthful message as rap songs, even some gangsta rap is more about telling it how it is in the REAL world rather than glorifying violence.

IMO there is no genre of music that comes CLOSE to delivering the powerfull messages that rap music does.

I could go on Dan but I'll just save time and tell you to STFU since you only speaking and thinking about one aspect of rap and gangsta rap.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 07:46:36 AM »
WayOut,

The ability to deliver a message strongly and powerfully is wonderful;  what the message that's being delievered is should be the point of contention.  Much of what I've heard in my limited exposure to rap is a message of anger and bitterness.  If this is the "truth" that we want to carry forward, then I'm with Dan on this one.

I don't want my music to be about what is - I want my music to have some vision of what things COULD be...what things SHOULD be - or a warning of what things SHOULDN'T be.  I can look out my window or watch the news to see how things already are.  And more to the point, how things are is screwed up enough that I don't want them to continue.

The last thing I want is for someone to look back in 50 years, hear some old rap from our era, and say, "Man, weren't things so much better then?"

And not just rap, either.  Grunge is some of the most pointless stuff out there.  Have you ever heard my description of grunge:  to get a grunge band, you take a mediocre hard rock band,  you fire the lead singer,  you make the lead guitarist play bass, you make the bass player play drums, and you make the drummer sing, and then you write songs about how rotten life is because of the fact you're all playing the wrong instruments.

"Music is an artistic expression of feelings and emotions and ..."  Claptrap.  I've been a musician and I've been a songwriter and I've been a symphonic composer.  Music is ENTERTAINMENT and ENJOYMENT.  A catchy guitar rift moves people to action?  Yeah.  At best, music may touch emotions that a person was afraid to act on just by reminding them of them.  Most of it is little more than social lubrication.  The most "inspired" I've ever been by a song is inspired enough to go out an learn a new instrument so I could play the song, because it sounded "cool."

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 09:09:23 AM »
don't know if you follow football dan, but what's your opinion of terrell owens?

Also, did you like The Godfather?  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 09:14:57 AM by dbodner »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 10:08:41 AM »
Joe,

To each his own.  Ever since I was about 24 I started to see the world for what it really is and one of the things about the world is the abundance of time wasting or meaningless attributes.  I tend to gravitate towards things that offer more substance and in some cases things that hit close to home.

TV for example, I've never seen an entire episode of Friends, American Idol, Survivor, Who Wants to be a Millionare and other canned genre of TV.  I have the same approach to music.  I don't really listen to pop music and other music made for the sake of appealing to a mass audience.  While I do enjoy music that has crossed over, ala Alanis Morriset/Fiona Apple/Black Crows/Sublime to name a few I don't buy into the American Idol style of pre-packaged hits ala Britney Spears/Janet Jackson/Kid Rock to name a few.

IMO rap music delivers the most relevant, insightfull, truthful and powerful messages of any genre music EVER.  The 60's music was very powerfull but not as concise as rap music.  The messages are both positive and negative, the stories are both of hope and despair but that's the real world Joe.  I know you're the type of person that thinks/feels the world is what you make it and I agree somewhat but I also know that I'm living in the same world that other people have made for themselves.

Back on topic, if I'm at a club or some similar event I do not mind listening to music that makes me move but when I'm just listening to music for the sole purpose of listening to it it's got to have more than a "Friends" mass appeal to it, it's got to make me think.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jn

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 01:17:41 PM »
Good music comes in a wide variety of forms and one of the best things about living in the U.S. at this time is we have easy access to so much.  

Joe I'm not sure what your saying about music only being light entertainment.  This morning I listened to Duke Ellingtons "And His Mother Called Him Bill", an album made after the death of his longtime cohort, Billy Strayhorn.  It's nothing if not the  gorgeous expression of the emotions of the end of a decades long friendship.  I can think of a lot of other ways that music has a direct influnce on people beyond mere entertainment.  There's a reason music is a part of religion and politics.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 01:36:30 PM »
Good music comes in a wide variety of forms and one of the best things about living in the U.S. at this time is we have easy access to so much.  

Joe I'm not sure what your saying about music only being light entertainment.  This morning I listened to Duke Ellingtons "And His Mother Called Him Bill", an album made after the death of his longtime cohort, Billy Strayhorn.  It's nothing if not the  gorgeous expression of the emotions of the end of a decades long friendship.  I can think of a lot of other ways that music has a direct influnce on people beyond mere entertainment.  There's a reason music is a part of religion and politics.
Agreed jn.

It's in the eye/ear of the beholder.  I typically choose music that has a message in it, positive or negative, over music that doesn't.  That doesn't mean I don't like the occasional non-message song, it's just that I have a preference.

Just to name a few:
Rage Against The Machine
Public Enemy
Black Eyed Peas
Marvin Gaye
KRS-1
Pearl Jam
Toadies

I cannot think of an artist past or present that infuses their music with messages as powerful and RATM or PE.    
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"